Thread: Question about rebel AI

Default Question about rebel AI

I've just rediscovered EBII with 2.2 and started a Campaign as Rome.
    I was really impressed with the way the AI ran their army up the closest hill to gain an advantage when I was attacking and all was going well.
    Then I made my move on Northern Italy and had a large army in the North with a stream of single units on route to re-enforce their numbers. On route to the front, a single unit of Triarii were attacked by a 1600 strong rebel army. I thought what the hell and instead of retreating thought I'd see how long they could last it out. Now I did use the pretty shady tactic of backing the Triarii into the corner of the battlefield, but my idea was to see how long they could last it out with a frontal assault while outnumbered nearly 30 - 1.

Then came the problem; The rebel army advance and then halted in front of my line and just continued to reform.
    Now I understand that the AI will not try and attack full on if they are at a disadvantage and to start with thought this was them trying to lure me out of formation. (Very cunning I thought). The problem was that that was all they did until the end of the battle. Then because they lost the battle was "auto killed". So I was a little confused how 63 Triarii could destroy an army of 1600 men without even waving a spear.

A few battles later I came across a similar scenario. This time I had a reasonable sized army caught between to full stack rebel armies.
    I set up in formation with the Principes in the front rank, Hastati at the rear and Triarii holding the flanks (Now I know this isn't the historical way of setting up, but I have found this a much better formation.) I basically then sat and waited for nearly 4,000 rebels to attack. Problem is they didn't and just danced around again in front of my lines until the end of the battle and because they lost were automatically destroyed again.

I've got to say I now feel a little cheated that I could experience the blood bath I was expecting.

I'm playing medium / medium.

Any suggestions how to make the AI More / Less intelligent would be greatly recieved.

Thanks.
    Last edited by dazr0b; 06-11-2017 at 14:56.
    Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all.

Member thankful for this post:

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Default Re: Question about rebel AI

You're playing 2.2, or 2.2q?
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

I got 2.2b off the EB site. I'm downloading 2.2q now.

Member Member Cincinnatus Johnson's Avatar
    Burke, Virginia, United States of America

dazr0b,
    I'd like to hear what you experience with your first 2.2q campaign. I've recently updated to 'q' and have begun my first Romani campaign with it as well.
    - CJ

I can't get the game to play. It gets as far as selecting a faction in the campaign, or picking an army, but then when you click start it just freezes,
    I'm not sure what I've done wrong

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dazr0b View Post
    I can't get the game to play. It gets as far as selecting a faction in the campaign, or picking an army, but then when you click start it just freezes,
    I'm not sure what I've done wrong
    The game never "just freezes". It either crashes or (as in this case) it's doing something. If you break the operation while it's processing, you break the map.

You need to re-patch (or just delete the map.rwm) and start a new campaign, and WAIT. It can take up to 5 minutes the very first time, after which it won't need to do that again.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Member thankful for this post: