Thread: How to beat tutorial "First Encounter"?

Default How to beat tutorial "First Encounter"?

It's really hard, been trying for 2 days. Is it even possible with realism settings?

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default Re: How to beat tutorial "First Encounter"?

Is it even possible with realism settings?
    Yes. Read through this thread:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...TW-tutorial%29

Welcome to The Org
    High Plains Drifter

Thanks following some advice in that thread I finally beat it, still lose about 50% of the time, but at least I beat it:)

Basically I moved up to the peak of the hill into either 2 lines or 1 long line. I'm not sure if my "charge" command was working (double click on the enemy), my units seem to wait until the pikemen are right there before breaking rank, even when I select "engage at will". But maybe it does some good, I tried previously holding/skirmishing in many different positions along the ridgeline without success.

Also sometimes my general seems to run away for no reason (before fighting has started). Happened in both the combat tutorials so far.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

The "Engage-at-will" command only pertains to projectile fire, either bow or musket. A 50/50 win/loss ratio is about right. As you read, the tutorial has about as much chance for luck as skill.

As for a general forsaking his honor...

If you want to learn the capabilities of units and game mechanics, I'd skip the tutorials and just set up some custom battles. Shogun is basically a "rock/paper/scissors" game. Spears beat cavalry, swords beat spears, and eventually the musket will rule the battlefield.

Once you get the hang of the game controls, I'd just jump right into a campaign...it's really the best way to learn Uesugi, Hojo, or Shimazu are typically good clans to start with. Takeda and Imagawa are a bit harder to manage, Oda is the most difficult for any starting date.
    High Plains Drifter