Thread: Science fact and Science fiction

Default Science fact and Science fiction

Given that the best spacecraft yet developed is a planet
    What sort of weird and wonderful things can we concoct out the huge number of interstellar planets:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ithout-a-home/

Invasion force? Experimental environments? All the lonely people?
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Default Re: Science fact and Science fiction

This might actually deserve a different thread, but it was a small part of early space exploration.
    The Age of Wood? sort of:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...en-spacecraft/

Have to admit, the cost constrained early days were quite creative
    Last edited by HopAlongBunny; 11-05-2017 at 07:26.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by HopAlongBunny View Post
    Given that the best spacecraft yet developed is a planet
    What sort of weird and wonderful things can we concoct out the huge number of interstellar planets:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ithout-a-home/

Invasion force? Experimental environments? All the lonely people?
    Zonama Sekot? Who all has any idea what I am talking about there, without looking it up?

So much of what used to be science fiction is reality now. Who knows how much else will turn to become reality?
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

Looks like we have had a visitor:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...aped-asteroid/

Sure. An asteroid, but that's what THEY would want you to think...
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Looks like we have had a visitor:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...aped-asteroid/

Sure. An asteroid, but that's what THEY would want you to think...
    It was Han Solo and Chewie in the Millenium Falcon.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Didn't we have a batch of folks ship out their spirit forms on the ship following the Hale-Bopp? How is this visit all that special?
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Didn't we have a batch of folks ship out their spirit forms on the ship following the Hale-Bopp? How is this visit all that special?
    The Remnants are still bearing the torch for educational purposes.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Members thankful for this post (2):

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Butler View Post
    It was Han Solo and Chewie in the Millenium Falcon.
    Maybe!
    Actually the object was odd enough to attract the attention of SETI, and The Breakthrough Listen project is making an attempt to see if the object emits any radio waves:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...n-to-oumuamua/

Is it time to speculate wildly!? Why Yes! Yes it is!
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Maybe!
    Actually the object was odd enough to attract the attention of SETI, and The Breakthrough Listen project is making an attempt to see if the object emits any radio waves:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...n-to-oumuamua/

Is it time to speculate wildly!? Why Yes! Yes it is!
    I just hope it is not V'Ger.

In my opinion, SETI is a big waste of time and money, but whatever. My opinion is not going to change anything. It is interesting to wonder how many times in 6,000 years such a thing has come by and only now are we able to detect it.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

I just hope it is not V'Ger.

In my opinion, SETI is a big waste of time and money, but whatever. My opinion is not going to change anything. It is interesting to wonder how many times in 6,000 years such a thing has come by and only now are we able to detect it.
    One KC-46 costs the US taxpayer $147.4M, SETI costs $14M a year with only about half of that total being taxpayer funded. You may be able to ding them on RoI, but it is not a budget buster.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    One KC-46 costs the US taxpayer $147.4M, SETI costs $14M a year with only about half of that total being taxpayer funded. You may be able to ding them on RoI, but it is not a budget buster.
    Doesn't matter who is paying, it is still a waste of money, but I can't do anything about it anyway so I just complain about it. Frankly, I would rather see it going to that than some other things. And we may learn some stuff that we did not know, even if we never get to meet any Togrutas or Twileks.

Oh, seeing as this is the Frontroom, please nobody try to correct me on the 6,000 year age of the earth I mentioned. I respect the views of those who think it is older and was simply speaking from my point of view.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Default Science fact and Science fiction

Doesn't matter who is paying, it is still a waste of money, but I can't do anything about it anyway so I just complain about it.
    It cannot be considered a waste of money, since the tech that goes into this can (and perhaps does) have applications in fields where it may matter to us from day to day, or in other fields of science. Thus while I can't say SETI itself will have any luck in its primary goal, I'm sure the tech dedicated to it, and innovations appertaining, can be applied elsewhere.

Frankly, I would rather see it going to that than some other things. And we may learn some stuff that we did not know, even if we never get to meet any Togrutas or Twileks.
    Well, that's not for you or me to determine purely by purpose alone; That's because we simply DON'T know what we might get out of it. It's something I've experience first-hand when I worked on Cambrian Nevadan exposures: No one could have expected what I found.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Oh, seeing as this is the Frontroom, please nobody try to correct me on the 6,000 year age of the earth I mentioned.
    I won't, but not because a correction is not Frontroom material.

But if you didn't want to catch grief over it, you probably shouldn't have posted this here to begin with. Because frankly, it comes across as you looking to bait someone as it is, even with the disclaimer you give later.
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 12-18-2017 at 12:59.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wonder how many times this has happened from the view from earth over 4.54~ billion years. The potential is simply amazing.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

That would assume we aren’t the only sapient life, and right again that one of them achieved interstellar flight. I’m optimistic about this, but I do wonder how we would be able to detect such a thing. Do we even know what to look for?

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

They seem to think that our visitor was interesting; like a piece of driftwood, but it's interstellar driftwood!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/ou...itor-1.4454180
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    That would assume we aren’t the only sapient life, and right again that one of them achieved interstellar flight. I’m optimistic about this, but I do wonder how we would be able to detect such a thing. Do we even know what to look for?
    A civilization that has mastered interstellar flight, yet has not mastered a cloaking device. Unless they are trying to get our attention (as stated before, I don't actually believe in extraterrestrial life, but am playing along with the thread.)

By the way, has anybody read the "Conquerors" series (I think that is what it was called) by Timothy Zahn? It would be along these lines.

A civilization that has mastered interstellar flight, yet has not mastered a cloaking device. Unless they are trying to get our attention (as stated before, I don't actually believe in extraterrestrial life, but am playing along with the thread.)

By the way, has anybody read the "Conquerors" series (I think that is what it was called) by Timothy Zahn? It would be along these lines.
    Who said that interstellar flight necessarily implies advanced cloaking technology?

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    Who said that interstellar flight necessarily implies advanced cloaking technology?
    Nothing, I was speaking tongue-in-cheek.

One would assume, however, that if they have mastered interstellar travel they would have figured out cloaking, or at least stealth of some kind. I am not being original in this viewpoint, I did borrow the idea from elsewhere, only he used the terminology that they had not grasped the concept of shutting off their running lights yet had mastered interstellar travel.

Besides, I am not convinced we have not figured out cloaking. Who knows what technologies are being implemented that we don't know about?

One would assume, however, that if they have mastered interstellar travel they would have figured out cloaking, or at least stealth of some kind.
    You'd be surprised:

For a less speculative example: the Chinese were pretty sophisticated--in general they were way ahead of the west till the Early Modern Period, but it never occurred to them the Earth was a Spheroid till relatively recently (possibly the 11th century AD, definitely by the 17th century). For comparison, everyone knew the correct shape in the West and Near East since the 3rd century BC; Columbus for example wasn't criticized because he thought the Earth was round, but because he believed the Earth's circumference was lower than calculated--his critics were in fact correct.

It's not quite like figuring out how to shut off the lights; this is a far more complex topic--how to make a person or (in this case) craft invisible. Just as the technology (and thinking) needed to figure out the Earth's shape differs from that of mixing chemicals to make them go boom (or using a magnet to find your way around), so will cloaking and making space-craft. Afterall, technology and science aren't discovered neatly.

Besides, I am not convinced we have not figured out cloaking. Who knows what technologies are being implemented that we don't know about?
    Well, I only said the aliens (hypothetically) may not have developed it--at least for space-craft. I didn't say anything about humanity. Mostly because, cloaking tech has been around for a while, and is public knowledge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD83dqSfC0Y

But no, they can't do this for airplanes--not yet. Stealth for craft (and even tanks) at this time is really about radar stealth, so as not to be detected by enemy fighters and radar installations. This technology has been common since the late 1980's, and gained attention during the Persian Gulf War.

Personally, my take on most UFO sightings near military bases are more likely tests of such craft, and not aliens. This doesn't discount an alien visit, nor that there are aliens in the first place, nor can you make an argument that it is impossible for them to have paid a visit: we simply don't know. This is especially as once again, we simply don't really know what to expect. For example, we don't know if they even feel the need to shut off the lights...
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 01-01-2018 at 01:26.

Most of the cool scientists at SETI and in the Exobiology departments will tell your children that 100,000 intelligent alien races may inhabit the universe. Even if they have an extraordinary understanding of the Drake equation, that might be a very lonely place. The "Hubble Bubble" with the volume of the observable universe centered on the Earth contains about 300,000 billion, billion, billion cubic light years of space. So if we are statistically lucky, we may have an intelligent neighbor within our 3 billion, billion, billion cubic light year zone. Yaaay (sarcasm off).

That may seem daunting, however, time is on our side. The universe is 13.72 billion years old. Galaxies formed within a half billion years after the Big Bang. Giant stars in those galaxies were rapidly fusing hydrogen into heavier elements. After only a few million years these stars with hundreds of times the mass of the Sun were going super nova. The heavier elements that make up life were created in the explosions and spread throughout the surrounding hydrogen clouds. The shock waves created smaller stars like our's. If some of these stars evolved like ours (physics led to chemistry led to biology), then intelligent creatures might have populated them by 5 billion years after the BB. So beings like us should statistically have existed 8 billion years ago. That would give them time enough to colonize everything in that 3 bn, bn, bn cubic light year space. Either interstellar space travel is totally impossible or they should have found us. They wouldn't be visitors. The Sun would be part of their turf. Our ancestors would have been able to look up and see the alien's Dyson ring around the Sun.

Perhaps, the most intelligent members of any advanced species eventually discover technology that the most foolish members of their species use to cause their extinction.
    Sometimes good people must kill bad people to protect the rest of the people.