Thread: Couple questions

Default Couple questions

Hey,

Long time EB1 player here, just decided to give EB2 another try, using the 2.2r build.

I can't seem to get the free upkeep for city units on my Romani campaign. None of the units that come at the start of the campaign get free upkeep. I've tried to disband a bunch of units in various cities (Capua, Rome) and train new Hastati units from the barracks, as per the 'units must be trainable in the city barracks' rule, and end turn. These newly trained units also weren't receiving free upkeep on the next turn, although the Camillan hastati have the free_upkeep_unit attribute according to the EDU. Halp?

Also; reading the forum i found various references to forts, potentially with free upkeep slots; however how does one erect a fort in EB2/MTW2 ? On EB1 it used to be via an officer but only the erect watchtower option is still in that location.

I did try to search the forum, still, apologies in advance if these are dumb/newb questions =)

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Default Re: Couple questions

To receive free upkeep, you need three things:
    1) A unit with the free_upkeep_unit attribute
    2) A building with free_upkeep slots
    3) That unit being recruitable in the building offering the slots

Romans don't get any free upkeep from their governments, they don't have number 2) in that list. They hardly need it either, given how rich they start. So I'm afraid you'll never get free upkeep for those units as the Romans.

Disbanding units in a settlement does nothing besides adding to the available pool to recruit.

You can't build forts. You weren't ever able to in EBII, because we were using the permament stone fort feature. That, however, has now been removed because it breaks the CAI; AI factions are obsessed with holding them and ignore attacks on their actual settlements. So you can only build watchtowers.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Member thankful for this post:

Cool, thanks ;)

Say, is it possible to use the campaign script to automatically replace units in cities?

For example: in each city, replace all Polybian Hastati units having experience 2 or greater with a Polybian Principes unit ?

Quote Originally Posted by Yash View Post
    Say, is it possible to use the campaign script to automatically replace units in cities?

For example: in each city, replace all Polybian Hastati units having experience 2 or greater with a Polybian Principes unit ?
    Possible, yes. In a simple way, no. I don't think there's even a condition you can check for how much experience a unit has; rather what you might be able to do is check for a unit being disbanded and then offering another unit for recruitment - see the Evocati script already in the game. Otherwise you're talking a massive script which checks every settlement every turn.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    what you might be able to do is check for a unit being disbanded and then offering another unit for recruitment - see the Evocati script already in the game.
    Cool, this could work. I'll check it out.

The documentation gives the following information for the UnitDisbanded event:

Identifier: UnitDisbanded
    Event: A unit has been disbanded
    Exports: faction, resource_description, unit
    Class: ET_UNIT_DISBANDED

Any idea what resource_description is, and/or how to use it?

Probably not the right place, but maybe not worth making a new thread....

Is there anyway the Fort option could return, since the fortified settlements option is turned off (i read somewhere, but cant remember where).....or make it a mini-mod?

Awesome game btw, new here on the org as a member, but long-time player (EB 1 and II)...

Nope, forts are disabled because they ruin the CAI. The function has also been re-purposed for Wonders, to give us something to attach them to so they can appear on the battlemap.

allright, thanx..is there an easy novice-moderator way to reintroduce forts (and disable the settlement/wonder function) or would that take some considerate moderating skills...?

You really don't want to do that, though. They're cool, but the AI will park stacks in them instead of garrisoning their towns or fighting field battles. The one unit of free upkeep and the roleplay of guarding passes isn't worth the AI being totally useless at directing its armies on the campaign map. That said, I'm not sure how it was done either.