Thread: TV for PS4

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default TV for PS4

One thing I'm not fully understanding is whether a TV impacts how good you see the graphics on the PS4 - provided that they're all up to a certain standard, like Full HD.

Clearly, diameter is one thing, but would there be such a huge difference between 100$ and 500$ for a TV for a PS4?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: TV for PS4

Resolution is the big thing. I think you are correct that it needs to be 1080p. (last time I consoled was Xbox360)

Other than that.. how big would you like your television?
    Last edited by Beskar; 11-04-2017 at 23:12.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

What? No. 1080i is outdated. 1080p or 4k if you might get a PS4 Pro or newer.

And yes, there are other parameters such as refresh rate, potentially input lag, color and overall image quality, brightness, backlight bleeding, sound quality, for smart TVs also security and more. These are just off the top of my head and I'm tired.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Can't go terribly wrong with an OLED screen. In general, the more black is really black the better the tv, very few get that right. If you have a PS4-pro you might want to have a 4k, I myself (essential for gaming sadly) don't like 4k screens the image is so restless, don't like high-res tv's in general but that's just me
    Last edited by Fragony; 11-04-2017 at 00:41.

What is restless about it? I have a 4k 27" monitor and I find the image is a lot more pleasing to the eyes because it is sharper, especially text.
    Restless sounds like you had some scaling or other issue that isn't normal.

I never consoled before in my house - so it's all new for me.

I'm just curious to see whether it has an impact on overall viewing quality, considering you're getting at least a relatively decent TV to go with it. Not interested in huge screens, I want them to be decent sized because after all it's space constraints.

Although one of those massive Samsung OLED curved screens the size of an entire wall are quite sweet...

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

For some reason I'd rather get a Sony or LG than a Samsung screen. Even though they look good in stores, I just don't trust them to provide quality devices outside of the SSD sector.

Either way, I'd think a decent TV would cost somewhere between 400 and 1000€, also depending on the size you would want. You can get some for less, but then you're usually compromising on quality somewhere, like the picture could have a blue tint and so on. Might also pay to just check out some reviews beforehand, after all even expensive ones can have weird problems.

Also consider that if you buy a Smart TV you get nice features when you connect it to the internet, but also tend to run the risk that someone zombifies it and uses it to do nasty things. This is just one example: https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...vulnerability/

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    What is restless about it? I have a 4k 27" monitor and I find the image is a lot more pleasing to the eyes because it is sharper, especially text.
    Restless sounds like you had some scaling or other issue that isn't normal.
    It's just a matter of preference, there is just something about HD-tv's that scream in my face, they are too bright, too sharp, I like my tv to look like viewing through a window. OLED-screens are getting where I want them to be but I am kinda spoiled when it comes to that window-quality, I sacrifice some resolution for the greater good. I basicly got a high-density low-tech screen, I get around the lower input with an amplified HDMI to scart converter, the end result is really neat.

Do monitors work for PS4? OR does it hav eto be a monitor?

Proud

Been to:

If you mean computer monitors, then it depends a lot on the monitor.
    Two major things to consider:

1. If you want to output the sound through HDMI, the monitor will need Speakers or a sound output you can connect speakers to. Alternatively you have to get the sound out of the PS4 via other means (PS3 had an optical connector, dunno about the 4).

2. A computer scales the picture for the monitor usually, which is why some monitors have terrible input scaling. The Ps 4 probably doesn't scale and just outputs a 16:9 picture that the monitor has to scale itself. If the monitor is 16:9 and the PS4 outputs 16:9 there shouldn't be a problem. When I wanted to connect my PS3 to my 16:10 monitor though I researched this (back in 2008) and selected a monitor that wouldn't squeeze the picture or cut parts off left and right. Maybe not the biggest issue anymore with 16:9 nowadays. For 21:9 and other monitors this might still be problematic though if their internal scaling is terribly implemented.

Other than these two things, a computer monitor should be able to handle an HDMI input from a PlayStation just like a TV. My old one (24" Benq G2400W) certainly did it very well, haven't tried it on the new one so far as I don't play on the old PS3 anymore.

PS4 is packed with options for monitors, shouldn't be a problem, but why would you want to really, a console is more of a couch thing. It's never going to look as good as your pc anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    PS4 is packed with options for monitors, shouldn't be a problem, but why would you want to really, a console is more of a couch thing. It's never going to look as good as your pc anyway
    When I bought mine, I had neither a couch nor a place opposite a couch to pu it on and liked the idea of getting a bigger computer monitor as well. I've also got an XBox controller for my computer now. It's perfectly possible to just sit close to the screen. If required, exchange the office chair with a bean bag while you play or so.

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

HDR is the big thing for console gaming, becuase it is essentially free perfomance wise.

4k is lovely n'all, but even the xbox one +/super/mega is going to struggle to run new games at max settings at 4k.
    Almost all demanding games downscale to something less than 4k (and less than than fullhd in the case of the standard PS4/XboxOne).

Make sure you tv supports:
    HDR10
    600 nits brightness
    DCI P3 colourspace
    edge-lit/full-array local dimming.

https://referencehometheater.com/201...nd-statistics/
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Thank you for the tip Furunculus.

Still debating on a PS4 purchase.

Proud

Been to:

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    HDR is the big thing for console gaming, becuase it is essentially free perfomance wise.

4k is lovely n'all, but even the xbox one +/super/mega is going to struggle to run new games at max settings at 4k.
    Almost all demanding games downscale to something less than 4k (and less than than fullhd in the case of the standard PS4/XboxOne).

Make sure you tv supports:
    HDR10
    600 nits brightness
    DCI P3 colourspace
    edge-lit/full-array local dimming.

https://referencehometheater.com/201...nd-statistics/
    4k problem is mostly the 60fps-craze, 30fps at 4k can easily be achieved, especially by the pretty damn powerful Xbone X, that thing can compete with a much more expensive pc

For a PS4 Pro - if anyone knows - how much does the monitor make the a difference in non-4K display?

I want a PS4 Pro, but if you don't have a good enough TV, there's no point in buying a Pro over a normal one.

Proud

Been to:

A lot, everything will run much faster on a pro, games don't have to be specifically designed for it

Quite so - I played a PS4 on a new 4K curved screen OLED TV and things definitely looked more real / sharper.

Proud

Been to: