Thread: UK Politics Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: UK Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Iraq happened 20 years ago in another country. Suella Braverman is redefining what is happening now and in the future in the UK. One of them is more relevant than the other.

Not that I supported Iraq back then. I was against every one of Blair's foreign adventures.
    It happened 20 years ago in the UK about another country.

What Suella is doing is similar to what I do in my job - checking if things are OK to do. Any idiot can just say "no". She is asking them to mitigate risk and be "solutions focused". Y'know - helpful.

Why not 100% lawful? Because laws are often written poorly with vague language, are out of date and often overlap. Expecting each lawyer to know exactly through this mess what any judge might think in the event of a theoretical complaint is impossible. And frankly, if they were that good they'd probably be in private practice. This of itself doesn't mean she's advocating for bringing back slavery and the Star court or extrajudicial killings.

My ultimate point is that under the current system, people like Blair can get a legal opinion, be told what he's doing is illegal, demand a rewrite one to say its 100% legal and based on this move on. This is if anything worse since it pretends risk doesn't exist.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Member thankful for this post: