Thread: The Slave Trade Mod

Default The Slave Trade Mod

Acknowledgement
    First, The Imperial Splendour Development team would like to thank argonian68 for his tutorial for adding the slave trade. You can see his tutorial here.

My Goal
    My goal is to create the best Empire: Total War experience possible without destroying the essence of the game, with an eye towards expanding and enriching the experience, while adding to the game's realism and historical accuracy whenever possible. (Imperial Splendour)

African Slave Trade submod which will be incorporated into the main mod is another step in accomplishing our goal.

Historical Context
    There was a huge demand in Europe for sugar, tobacco, and coffee. Initially, Native Americans and indentured servants were used. However, Native Americans either became ill or ran away easily. Most indentured servants didn’t survive their indentured contract and it didn’t take long for the harsh conditions to reach Europe. A new labor source needed to be found. It was. Africa!

The Slave Trade from 16th to the mid- 19th century, about 12.5 million slaves had been shipped from Africa, and 10.7 million had arrived in the Americas. The volume of slaves carried off from Africa reached 30,000 per year in the 1690s and 85,000 per year in the 18th century.

The main destinations were the Caribbean colonies and Brazil, as European nations built up economically slave-dependent colonies in the New World. Slightly more than 3% of the enslaved people exported from Africa were traded between 1450 and 1600, and 16% in the 17th century. It is estimated that more than half of the entire slave trade took place during the 18th century, with the British, Portuguese and French being the main carriers of nine out of ten slaves abducted from Africa.
    Additional Resources and Multimedia about the Slave Trade

Geographical Context
    As you can note from the two maps (Slave trade map & ETW trade Nodes) there is a clear correlation between the location of the nodes and the location the slaves were acquired.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Mod Content
    The Mod changes the image of ivory tucks to choice of three slavery images. It also changes the text from "ivory" to "Slaves," "Ship(s) of Slaves" when you mouse over the images.
    THERE WILL BE THREE CHOICES AVAILABLE TO CHOOSE FROM;

1. HUMANITY

2. AGONY

3. SHACKLES

FUTURE VERSION WILL ATTEMPT TO CREATE BALANCE
    The other commodities are all define by units (e.g. chest of tea). There isn't a similar unit term for the slave trade. There is the entire ship of about 200- 300 slaves. Therefore, it functions a little odd. I will be working on resolving this. The end goal to change it to be consistent without changing the economy or the current trade value.

Below is the download link. Please follow the installation instructions carefully.

Additional information about the Modification
    COMPATIBILITY ISSUES
    The mod will be compatible with any mod that doesn't change two important files; patch_en.pack and UI.pack (specifically the subcategory "skins" and "pips" within the campaign ui. This is where the ivory.TGA images is located. In some cases. Modders would include the ivory.TGA even though they do not change it. Some hosted mods changes one or both of these files.

MOD NOT LISTED BELOW
    If there are other Mods that you use and the vanilla does not work, please let me know which mod and I can include it.

NOTES TO MODDERS
    I created two files; Pike_Slavetrade.pack (changes the images) and Pike_Slavetrade.text.pack (changes the text). Pike_Slavetrade.pack is a "patch" file Creating a Movie or a regular Mod pack did not change the image under the "skins" subcategory, but it did change the image in the "pips" subcategory. Generally, for some hosted mods, I edited the "text/Localization or Localisation" files. If a mod kept the ivory.TGA in any pack, i removed it and included it in the package.

FAIR USE POLICY
    This is an OPEN SOURCEmod. You have explicit permission for free use. If you wish to add this officially to your mod, please give full credit to argonian68 for discovering the method to add this feature and myself (PikeStance) for discovering how to add the image without altering the actual game files.
    [line]100%[/line]

Download & Installation of Vanilla and Hosted Mods
    Vanilla Version
    Download Link

If you cannot see image link click HERE

Installation
    Installation is simple, but Please follow the directions carefully.
    STEP 1: download from the link above
    STEP 2: Unzip - There are three folders named for each image listed above. (Each folder contained a file named: Pike_Slavetrade.pack) and a second file named: Pike_Slavetrade_text.pack
    STEP 3: Copy and paste file: Pike_Slavetrade_text.pack in the main data folder.
    STEP 4: Choose the folder of the image of your choice and copy and paste in the Main Data Folder.
    Directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Empire Total War\data
    STEP 5: Launch game
    Note: I tested each image in a save game, so you should be able to add this in a current campaign.

A Proper Empire: Terra Incognita
    Download Link

Installation
    STEP 2: Unzip - There are three folders named for each image listed above. (Each folder contained a file named: Pike_Slavetrade.pack) and a second file named: apeti_localisation.pack
    STEP 3: Copy and paste file:apeti_localisation.pack in the main data folder. If asked to overwrite, click "yes"
    STEP 4: Choose the folder of the image of your choice and copy and paste in the Main Data Folder.
    Note: I tested each image in a save game, so you should be able to add this in a current campaign.

Darthmod
    Download Link

Installation
    IMPORTANT: It does not appear that Darthmod mod edit the files, so it should work. Please let me know if it doesn't.
    STEP 2: Unzip - There are three folders named for each image listed above. (Each folder contained a file named: Pike_Slavetrade.pack) and a second file named: Pike_Slavetrade_text.pack

Empire Realism
    Download Link

Installation

European Wars 2- 18th Century Mod

Download Link

Installation
    STEP 2: Unzip - There are three folders named for each image listed above. (Each folder contained a file named: Pike_Slavetrade.pack) and a second file named: movie_ew2_text.pack
    STEP 3: Copy and paste file: movie_ew2_text.pack in the main data folder.

Imperial Destroyer
    Download Link

Installation
    STEP 2: Unzip - There are three folders named for each image listed above. (Each folder contained a file named: Pike_Slavetrade.pack) and two additional files: Lord_loc.pack and Lord_ui.pack
    STEP 3: Copy and paste files: Lord_loc.pack and Lord_ui.pack in the main data folder. If asked to overwrite, click "yes"

Imperial Splendour
    Download Link

Installation
    STEP 2: Unzip - There are FIVE: Three are folders named for each image listed above. (Each folder contained a file named: IS_Slavetrade.pack) and the other two folders are the common file folders for each Mod (IS 2.2.1b and Rise of the Republic) They contain two important files: ISBeffecto.pack and patch_is_text.pack
    STEP 3: Copy and paste files in the common folder for the mod you are using: ISBeffecto.pack and patch_is_text.pack in the main data folder. When asked to overwrite, click "yes."
    For Imperial Splendour go HERE

The Rights of Man
    Download Link

Installation
    STEP 2: Unzip - There are three folders named for each image listed above. (Each folder contained a file named: Pike_Slavetrade.pack) and a second file named: trom_text_text.pack
    STEP 3: Copy and paste file:trom_text_text.pack in the main data folder. If asked to overwrite, click "yes"

You also may download all the files at ModDB.com [link missing]

Please share your comments, questions, and suggestions below
    Last edited by PikeStance; 11-22-2017 at 20:38.

Default Re: The Slave Trade Mod

Hello,

I am trying to install this play in Windows 10, but I can't. What SO do I need to install it? In the description I can't find it...

Thank you.

Default Re: The Slave Trade Mod

Anyone have any impressions of this modification?