Thread: Historical Campagin - Agincourt?

Member Member Asteroids Champion, Run N Gun Champion, Hook Line & Sinker Champion, Zoo Keeper Champion, Street Racer Champion, Pipe Mania Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Boxteroid Champion, Spider Jump Champion, Asteroids 2k3 Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Desert Battle Champion, Soap Bubble Champion, Burger Time Champion, Bug Juice Champion, Plastic Saucer Champion, Quick Shot Champion, Shuriken Challenge Champion, James Bomb Champion, Gary Golf Champion, Red Beard Champion, Crazy Cars Champion, Cell-Out Champion, Space Runner Champion, Submarine Champion, Space Rescue Champion, Roller Blaze Champion, Cub Shoot 2 Champion, Radial Snake Champion, Kirby's Star Scramble Champion, Chicken Champion, Shootout Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Space Hunter Champion, Jail Break Champion, Squirrel Soccer Champion, Mouse Kill Champion, Treasure Diver Champion, Stuart's Xtreme Skateboarding Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Takion Champion, Jet Pac Stan Champion, Warthog Launch Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Gandys Quest Champion, Iceberg Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion, Shoot The Gatso Champion, QB Challenge Champion, Fall Down Champion, Invasion 2196 Champion, Frogger Champion, Skeleton Park Champion, Slack Man Champion, Fishing the Sea Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Ollie Skates Champion, Duck Tracker Champion, Bunny Grab Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, jetpacker Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Lift Champion, Brighton Bounty Champion, V:force Champion, Twelve Swap Champion, Tiger Moth Champion, Super Mario Mushroom Champion, Rotation Champion, Jack's Bar Champion, Fish Kill Champion, Ninja Turtles 2 Champion, Ping Champion, Killer Bob Champion, Cop-For-This Champion, Battle of Helms Deep Champion, Life Bouy Champion, Ice Racer Champion, Ghost 2000 Champion, Its Mine Champion, Home Run Rally Champion, Alien Invasion Champion, Homeland Defense Champion, KF 9000 Champion, Stick Avalanche Champion, Paintball Champion, What-A-Shot Champion, Reactor Champion, Grand Prix Challenge 2 Champion, Mars Patrol Champion, Starcastle Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Sonny Sunshine Champion, Home Run Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Pin Headz Champion, Fun Santa Champion, Mission Mars Champion, Tontie Champion ConjurerDragon's Avatar

Default Historical Campagin - Agincourt?

I’m trying to play through the Historical Campaigns after ending my Viking Invasion game as Mercia and
    I have problems finding a reliable way to win Agincourt (the 3rd english battle) in the campaign.

Unlike the real battle there is no defile that forces the french into a narrower front, no mud that slows and fatigues them and no stakes to prevent them charging the archers.

So after I draw out the 4 units of longbowmen into thin red lines of 2 ranks the french advance on me with a front wider than my own, the longbowmen can send 3 or 4 volleys at the french and then they charge into the english ranks.

Can someone share his tactics that won the day?

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Default Re: Historical Campagin - Agincourt?

I have managed to win this battle, but it was a touch and go thing... The best you have for slowing down the French advance is to draw up behind the tents, and iirc the real heroes were a bunch of men-at-arms I'd hidden in the trees on my right flank who managed to massacre a whole load of disadvantaged knights trying to outflank me. You really do need to use the benefit of the trees with so many cavalry against you. I also left the longbows in 'engage at will' so they got down and dirty rathert than running away all the time in skirmish mode. A well-timed cavalry counter-charge was also an important factor. It seems the French morale was a bit flimsy, for a few of the knights started fleeing after being well-feathered.

As I said, I have won this battle - but lost it quite a few times as well
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Quote Originally Posted by ConjurerDragon View Post
    I’m trying to play through the Historical Campaigns after ending my Viking Invasion game as Mercia and
    I have problems finding a reliable way to win Agincourt (the 3rd english battle) in the campaign.

Unlike the real battle there is no defile that forces the french into a narrower front, no mud that slows and fatigues them and no stakes to prevent them charging the archers.

So after I draw out the 4 units of longbowmen into thin red lines of 2 ranks the french advance on me with a front wider than my own, the longbowmen can send 3 or 4 volleys at the french and then they charge into the english ranks.

Can someone share his tactics that won the day?
    If this could serve as a guide. But I lost it several times before this one.
    The English 3.rar
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 12-10-2017 at 06:46.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Was there an expert difficulty setting in the original Medieval? I bought the Gold edition off of Steam the other night and it has an expert difficulty setting for all modes, historical battles and single player campaigns included. I beat a couple of Saladin's battles on Expert but Bannockburn, I've lost three times in a row. The English cav is just so many and there's really no way to keep your flanks from collapsing early. Once you commit Robert himself, Edward flanks the rear and attacks your low level infantry. Definitely a tough one, although I do manage to inflict 600-900 English casualties every time.
    Last edited by WebOfComplexity; 07-25-2018 at 01:38.

Quote Originally Posted by WebOfComplexity View Post
    Was there an expert difficulty setting in the original Medieval? I bought the Gold edition off of Steam the other night and it has an expert difficulty setting for all modes, historical battles and single player campaigns included. I beat a couple of Saladin's battles on Expert but Bannockburn, I've lost three times in a row. The English cav is just so many and there's really no way to keep your flanks from collapsing early. Once you commit Robert himself, Edward flanks the rear and attacks your low level infantry. Definitely a tough one, although I do manage to inflict 600-900 English casualties every time.
    My successful tactics at Bannockburn was to climb the hill behind your troops. It has a wooded front approach and two clearings free of trees. I positioned most of my troops to cover possible attacks through the clearings and one or two units to watch for the woods. If they attack with cavalry through the woods the English are at disadvantage, so beating it is not a problem (though it does take time). Normally they don't throw in all of theit cavalry at once so I could hold out using the general in the most critical moments.

I have this battle saved.Bannockburn.zip

As for difficulty, I also bought the game on Steam, but there is a choice of difficulties. Yet I always choose the expert.
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 07-26-2018 at 06:20.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...