Thread: Steam Winter Sale

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Steam Winter Sale

We've got a new Winter Sale coming on - as it was expected.

Completed my collection with 3 DLCs - Hearts of Iron IV DLC (Eastern Europe one), Euro Truck DLC and Last Roman for Attila.

Any special offers?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Default Re: Steam Winter Sale

I got Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun.

It seems like a lovely game, similar to the Commandos games but set in "renaissance" Japan. There's even a demo on Steam so you can just try it.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Going to try that, Commando's was really great if not a little bit too forced, you had to figure out what the game wanted you to do, not much room for improvising. That is how I remember it at least. Looked gorgious at the time. You might like Hidden and Dangerous Hus, it's freeware now, very similar to Commandos. It's hilariously buggy it's almost criminal that it was released in that state but there is a really good game underneath, the missions are fantastic. It probably didn't age very well but if you liked Commandos you should try it.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

I picked up Cossacks 3. Its pretty fun, have about 5 hours in it so far. Its very fast paced, so once you have a strong economic base going you basically are constantly fighting/recruiting soldiers in what is essentially an endless war if the two sides are balanced.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Going to try that, Commando's was really great if not a little bit too forced, you had to figure out what the game wanted you to do, not much room for improvising. That is how I remember it at least. Looked gorgious at the time. You might like Hidden and Dangerous Hus, it's freeware now, very similar to Commandos. It's hilariously buggy it's almost criminal that it was released in that state but there is a really good game underneath, the missions are fantastic. It probably didn't age very well but if you liked Commandos you should try it.
    I have crazy memories of Hidden and Dangerous.
    With the first one I couldn't even get the demo to run for a long time, but later I got the full game and played through it, or most of it.
    I also really liked part 2, which used the Mafia engine and wasn't quite as crazily difficult. But they ain't make games like these anymore...

This sale I'm mostly skipping stuff, I'm even sure that some games like the new Hitman were cheaper in previous sales this year and I really have an aversion of sorts to games that are story-based and mostly play in a dark world. And yes, dark also refers to the colour palette, I can only take so many night scenes and other dark stuff before I switch to something less depressing. It's a bit of a mood thing, although no reason to worry about me, I just like it happier (though still somewhat realistic) sometimes.
    Last edited by Husar; 12-26-2017 at 13:20.

Yeahhh, kinda hard fpr sure. Really fun if everything works out though, you die because the game is so broken mostly. If the developers had been given more time it would be an all-time favourite for many as the mission-design was so carefully put together, the game itself was just not ready and that's really a pity and a total waste of effort. Modders also couldn't fix it it was beyond repair. Sinnce it freeware everybody should try it
    Last edited by Fragony; 12-26-2017 at 17:12.

I think Steam Sales are starting now to get a bit repetitive - we have 4 Sales each year, and by now, most people have what they want.

I do want a some super amazing sale with like 90% off for big AAA titles, like once a year or something, a really special Steam Sale.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The problem is the sales are getting shallower, and when expecting the big ones... They are simply not there. I don't really want to pay £30 for a game in a sale, that is the price I kind of pay for new.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

I picked up They Are Billions after watching a few streams of it over the last few days. Haven't gotten a chance to play yet, but looks promising.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Silent Hunter III is on a very good offer - if anyone wants to go subing.

Proud

Been to:

Blog Entries

Table Top Simulator is a must buy for me.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

They want you to pay extra if you're lazy and don't want to add two things to your basket.

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Silent Hunter III is on a very good offer - if anyone wants to go subing.
    How is that game? Looks interesting.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

SHIII is considered to be the best submarine simulator / game out there - better than the successors even. Considered a cult classic.

It's 3 EUR on Steam, go ahead!

Proud

Been to:

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post

You just missed it for free on Humble Bundle.

http://www.pcgamer.com/layers-of-fea...e-store-today/
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Looks like you even would have gotten a Steam key with it (have never used that site), which would make it a very good deal indeed.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Decided that subs arent really for me.

Picked up Rainbow Six Vegas (I have fond memories of the game from my earliest gaming days) and Rainbow Six Siege.

EDIT: I forgot how much I hated the R6:Vegas checkpoint system. Nothing quite like slogging your way through a difficult section of the game only to mess up a hostage rescue and then have to start all over. Ugh.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 01-04-2018 at 05:15.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

In the older Rainbow-Six games there are no checkpoints at all, really unforgiving. Rogue Spear remains the best, especially the hard as nails multiplayer. The level-design was just incredible I sticked with it for years (and got really really good). Great community as well, really courtious
    Last edited by Fragony; 01-07-2018 at 10:34.

Blog Entries

I picked up Expeditions: Viking in the sale. I enjoyed it as a title.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    In the older Rainbow-Six games there are no checkpoints at all, really unforgiving.
    I remember playing a demo, where the AI enemies were basically aimbots with 360° vision. Basically I tried to sneak up to a hostage taker from the side or behind and he suddenly turned in an instant and headshot me. It is indeed challenging when the AI has godlike powers, but I found it so unimmersive and unrealistic that I forgot about the series and never bought one again...

The enemy AI has godlike aim yeah, but so does your team. If you plan it right you don't really have to do anything yourself
    Last edited by Fragony; 01-08-2018 at 11:01.