Thread: Election of the Holy Roman Emperor

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Election of the Holy Roman Emperor

As we all know, electing the Holy Roman Emperor caused significant problems due to multiple claimants, lineages, factions, power, influence and external influences.

I asked the issue of the German stem duchies some time ago, but I focused mainly on the duchies. Now about the election in itself - how did the actual election go?

Did they... vote? (a democracy in the 12-14th century!)

They gathered where, how did they vote, did they bring their vassals...?

Thank you.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Default Re: Election of the Holy Roman Emperor

I don't know how this very interesting question got missed. The rules were laid down in 1356 in the "Golden Bull." I don't know what they did before then, so all my comments pertain to 1356 and later.

Yes, they voted, but only 7 senior clergy and nobles were allowed to vote, so it wasn't a democracy. To elect means to choose, and before modern times did not necessarily imply that everyone gets to vote. (St Chad was "elected" Bishop of Northumberland by the King of Northumberland - an electorate of 1. Not really relevant to the empire. Just an illustration of how different "elections" used to be.) By the way, the 7 voters (known as the Electors) could only confer the title "King of the Romans." The king would later get the title Emperor from the Pope ... or again maybe not. It was rarely feasable to drop everything and rush off to Rome. Some Kings of the Romans never made it.

The Golden Bull specified that the election must take place in Frankfurt. I don't know if the Electors bought their vassals with them, but I can't imagine a high dignitary from the Middle Ages or Renaissance even going to visit his granny without an impressive entourage, and the election of the King of the Romans must have been pomp and circumstances to the max. They must have bought someone ... a lot of someones.
    Last edited by Brandy Blue; 03-23-2019 at 05:10. Reason: historical accuracy
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

Members thankful for this post (2):

My mistake. St Chad was a bishop, not an archbishop. Corrected in text of my post.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

I love the visual aspect of visiting your elderly with the entire pomp of vassals. Makes it funny to imagine.

Thank you Brandy!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Member Member Asteroids Champion, Run N Gun Champion, Hook Line & Sinker Champion, Zoo Keeper Champion, Street Racer Champion, Pipe Mania Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Boxteroid Champion, Spider Jump Champion, Asteroids 2k3 Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Desert Battle Champion, Soap Bubble Champion, Burger Time Champion, Bug Juice Champion, Plastic Saucer Champion, Quick Shot Champion, Shuriken Challenge Champion, James Bomb Champion, Gary Golf Champion, Red Beard Champion, Crazy Cars Champion, Cell-Out Champion, Space Runner Champion, Submarine Champion, Space Rescue Champion, Roller Blaze Champion, Cub Shoot 2 Champion, Radial Snake Champion, Kirby's Star Scramble Champion, Chicken Champion, Shootout Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Space Hunter Champion, Jail Break Champion, Squirrel Soccer Champion, Mouse Kill Champion, Treasure Diver Champion, Stuart's Xtreme Skateboarding Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Takion Champion, Jet Pac Stan Champion, Warthog Launch Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Gandys Quest Champion, Iceberg Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion, Shoot The Gatso Champion, QB Challenge Champion, Fall Down Champion, Invasion 2196 Champion, Frogger Champion, Skeleton Park Champion, Slack Man Champion, Fishing the Sea Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Ollie Skates Champion, Duck Tracker Champion, Bunny Grab Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, jetpacker Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Lift Champion, Brighton Bounty Champion, V:force Champion, Twelve Swap Champion, Tiger Moth Champion, Super Mario Mushroom Champion, Rotation Champion, Jack's Bar Champion, Fish Kill Champion, Ninja Turtles 2 Champion, Ping Champion, Killer Bob Champion, Cop-For-This Champion, Battle of Helms Deep Champion, Life Bouy Champion, Ice Racer Champion, Ghost 2000 Champion, Its Mine Champion, Home Run Rally Champion, Alien Invasion Champion, Homeland Defense Champion, KF 9000 Champion, Stick Avalanche Champion, Paintball Champion, What-A-Shot Champion, Reactor Champion, Grand Prix Challenge 2 Champion, Mars Patrol Champion, Starcastle Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Sonny Sunshine Champion, Home Run Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Pin Headz Champion, Fun Santa Champion, Mission Mars Champion, Tontie Champion ConjurerDragon's Avatar

I am confused by your original question and the answer to it.

In the original question you mention Stem Duchies. The answer was about the HRE after the Golden Bull - both do not mix.

The Empire had Stem Duchies only during it’s time as the Eastern Frankish Empire and early HRE - but which were split into smaller territorial duchies under the Hohenstaufens.

The 7 electors of the HRE after the Golden Bull were completely different entities than the Stem Duchies, with only Bavaria making the transition from Stem Duchy to territorial duchy and then having no vote because the electoral vote was held by the Palatinate.

Lightbulb Re: Election of the Holy Roman Emperor

The numbers of Electors did vary during latter centuries, at one time there were 9.

The size of a coronation procession could be huge: Nicolaas Hogenberg's 'Emperor Charles V in procession after his coronation by Pope Clement VII at Bologna', 1530 is made up of 38 plates.

Mirror site
    Nicolaas Hogenberg's 'Emperor Charles V in procession after his coronation by Pope Clement VII at Bologna', 1530

Druzhina
    Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers

Those coronation plates are very impressive! How were they made?

Quote Originally Posted by ConjurerDragon View Post
    I am confused by your original question and the answer to it.

In the original question you mention Stem Duchies. The answer was about the HRE after the Golden Bull - both do not mix.

The Empire had Stem Duchies only during it’s time as the Eastern Frankish Empire and early HRE - but which were split into smaller territorial duchies under the Hohenstaufens.

The 7 electors of the HRE after the Golden Bull were completely different entities than the Stem Duchies, with only Bavaria making the transition from Stem Duchy to territorial duchy and then having no vote because the electoral vote was held by the Palatinate.

In an earlier thread he asked about stem duchies. This time he is asking about elections. I focussed my answer on post Golden Bull because I know a little about that but not at all about pre Golden Bull. If you know about elections pre Golden Bull, (or post for that matter) please don't be shy about contributing your knowledge.

Arthur Conan Doyle

Quote Originally Posted by Xantan View Post
    Those coronation plates are very impressive! How were they made?
    They were etched, then multiple copies were printed.

Druzhina

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    I love the visual aspect of visiting your elderly with the entire pomp of vassals. Makes it funny to imagine.

Thank you Brandy!
    Why did you have to bring all these noisy MEN dear? The Marquis de Sade is welcome any time. Such a nice young man. I don't believe a WORD about what they say he did to his mother. But I can't abide the bishop of Wurtemburg. I'm sure a bishop shouldn't even KNOW half the words he uses. I've never been so shocked. I don't know how his mistress can stand him.

What mistress grandma?

Either of them!

Yes, there could be some comic potential.
    Last edited by Brandy Blue; 04-12-2019 at 09:17.

Arthur Conan Doyle