Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Next Total War era Title

Default Re: Next "tentpole" historical title

Thanks for detailed answer
    It was particularly the guy with the plate/chainmail armor in the bit I saw that seemed questionable
    Its clearly better than 300 in that they actually wear their armor though.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Let's remember that Shogun 2 had the same type of trailer and people thought it had duels.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Member thankful for this post:

As a reminder, CA has announced that their game is based on the Romance and not the Records.
    The answer to their concerns was also very evasive ("We assure you that Cao Cao will not sit in a huge throne throwing flames"-straw-man fallacy). It's true that we don't know much yet, but there are strong indications, more concrete than a cinematic trailer, that it's not going to be as historical as the previous titles.

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Let's remember that Shogun 2 had the same type of trailer and people thought it had duels.
    Well, Shogun 2 had matched combat...which might as well been duels. The trailer's depiction of units, weapons, and armor were pretty close to what the actual game had.

If the soldiers, weapons, and armor depicted in the 3K trailer is similarly representative of what is found in the actual 3K game, then the game would be as inaccurate as portraying the army of the late Roman Republic during the days of Caesar as a hoplite phalanx army from 500 BC.
    Last edited by Intranetusa; 02-17-2018 at 01:02.
    "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind...but there is one thing that science cannot accept - and that is a personal God who meddles in the affairs of his creation."
    -Albert Einstein

Matched combat as in what exactly? The units moved like in the trailer?

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Default Re: Next Total War era Title

Quote Originally Posted by Crandar View Post
    Makes sense, thanks to the film industry, the Three Kingdoms is the most popular period of Chinese history.
    There has been a "whatever Hollywood is doing" aspect to the franchise well, since it became a franchise...

Personally, I'm not very excited, to be honest.
    I haven't been excited about TW games (or games in general) for a long time, but each to their own.

fantasy with many mythical elements and a focus on heroic duels
    Ah... special hero characters on wires who can leap from rooftop to rooftop during sieges...?

That's what it looks, but maybe the trailer is a bit misleading. However, CA confirmed that it will be based on the epic of the Romance and not the Records, for whatever that may mean for the historicity of the franchise. In my opinion, it will be less accurate than the previous titles, exploiting the obscurity of that period among the customers, while heroes will probably be unkillable and similar to those of Warhammer, but without (hopefully) any magical abilities.

Matched combat as in what exactly?
    As in the long sequences of motion capture which broke unit balance by disrupting formations/leaving 'victorious' soldiers surrounded by enemy -> insta-dead.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Matched combat as in what exactly? The units moved like in the trailer?
    Quote Originally Posted by hoom View Post
    As in the long sequences of motion capture which broke unit balance by disrupting formations/leaving 'victorious' soldiers surrounded by enemy -> insta-dead.
    Yes. Depictions of the combat as 1v1 duels instead of formation fighting.
    "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind...but there is one thing that science cannot accept - and that is a personal God who meddles in the affairs of his creation."
    -Albert Einstein

I think that next game will be about Alexander the Big.

I think it's a fresh idea for CA to create a total war game on a time period that many people probably not know about. From my experience from Shogun 2 total war (actually my first total war game), I learned a lot of the history behind it which sparked my interest for medieval Japan.
    I would be expecting a lot of flaws in the game once it gets released but that's where mods come in. In case people are saying the game isn't as good upon released, I would just buy it when it's on sale.

Speaking of TW games, they are now on sale on the Steam Store!

http://www.steampowered.com

Proud

Been to:

Did anyone play TW 3 Kingdoms during this period? Any thoughts on the updated game?

Proud

Been to:

Kinda meh. Factions remain boring and repetitive, because so much content content is locked behind paywall. The new packs also introduced a bunch of bugs that affect both the main game and the DLCs.

I do appreciate they're putting in an effort to correct the bugs - I've seen the reviews for the game on the Steam page get quite unhappy.

Also I just noticed now it uses Denuvo Anti-DRM. I'm very very wary of that, considering the recent problems with it.

Proud

Been to:

So I've had a go at TW3K today, played a good bit of time - I absolutely love the UI and the graphic design / artwork. It's absolutely superb, the graphical / artistic team has done a fabulous job.

Literally it's a piece of art what they've done.

Proud

Been to:

edyz, did you play the "Romance" or the historical campaign?
    This space intentionally left blank

Historical (Records mode) only - ultra size settings for the units and on normal difficulty.

I'm not a fan of VH / VH in TW as in artificially makes the game hard so normal, maybe Normal / Hard for battles, is the perfect flavour for Total War in general.

Proud

Been to:

Member thankful for this post:

I always play on Very Hard otherwise AI is too bad... I mean AI is bad often in total war games but on Very hard it gets cheats making it more challengable

Yeah, that's the part I personally don't like, because it makes even cheap units become semi-unbreakable unless you charge them with expensive cavalry or guns. (depending on the game)

Proud

Been to:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12