Thread: hi

Default hi

how is it going? who still plays the older tw games?

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: hi

Quote Originally Posted by Tolkien View Post
    how is it going? who still plays the older tw games?

I play the original Rome Total War, and Barbarian Invasion, though currently I have taken a hiatus from Total War and am playing Age of Empires I and II.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

I playing Medieval 2 Total War

Colonel In Chief Member PROVOST's Avatar

to the.org!!
    You can build a throne with bayonets, but you can't sit on it for long. -Boris Yeltsin

мыслете наш он покой

The Philosopher Duke Member Suraknar's Avatar

Hello, I have not played any of the old ones in a long while, meaning Shogun or Medieval. or Rome.

But I have been playing Medieval 2 and Rome 2 mainly with Shogun 2. Haven't Touched Empire or Napoleon in a while either.

I have had Atitila for a while but never played it yet and I got Warhammer recently which is what I am playing now.

I am not sure I will get Britannia, even if I do enjoy much the Vikings Series and it is an Inspiration. We shall see. (I haven't missed a single title of TW).

I can't wait for Three Kingdoms though. That one is a must.

My only true problem with all of it is the path the DLC's have taken, it is utterly ridiculous. A complete Game costs upwards 150$ now if not more. 10 and 20$ to make a faction playable. They are laughing at us.

So I want to see how it all is marketed for the next titles...At this point, I find myself buying less games compared than before becasuse of the effect of the DLC.

A few years ago, you could buy 2 and 3 games it was 40-50$ per game. Now they all sell themselves piece by piece, launching incomplete..and expecting us to continue paying to complete the game which turns out to be 150$ for 1 game.

Overall I think it hurts the industry..but hey..it will take the second downfall of the gaming industry to convince anyone.

What I have come to do is, to wait for about a year after a Total War title launches so I can buy it complete in a bargain as an older game.

Anyways welcome to the Org, where a few original TW players still hang out :)
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"
    Traveled to: Over 70 Countries, most recent: and

~ Ask not what modding can do for you, rather ask what you can do for modding ~
    ~ Everyone dies, not everyone really fights ~

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Darth Mod Platinum ETW. Love that game. Still play a little M2TW and XGM Rome1.

I would also like to state that the rumors that @Andres can be found stumbling around drunk in the Backroom are simply rumors. I have no active knowledge of him barhopping in drag. This year at least.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Darth Mod Platinum ETW. Love that game. Still play a little M2TW and XGM Rome1.

I would also like to state that the rumors that @Andres can be found stumbling around drunk in the Backroom are simply rumors. I have no active knowledge of him barhopping in drag. This year at least.
    We celebrate Carnival during the week-end of Laetare Sunday, this year from Saturday 10th of March 'ti Monday 12th of March. .Org staff and ex-staff need to be dressed properly for the occasion and posting pictures of their drunken selves in embarrassing situations is mandatory...

EDIT: And welcome to all our new members
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Hi everybody,

I'm also a newcomer.
    I do play RTW, and... for me it is not really an old game. Relatively old games are Civ I, Master of Magic, Colonization, Reach For the Stars (and its sequels : Master of Orion), Might & Magic III (a jewel)...

And really old games are Space Invaders and Pacman :D
    Last edited by Notwen; 02-24-2018 at 12:31.

Made an account just to look through MTW and STW mods. Glad I found this place even if it's a bit dead I grew up playing STW and both games hold a special place in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Notwen View Post
    Hi everybody,

I'm also a newcomer.
    I do play RTW, and... for me it is not really an old game. Relatively old games are Civ I, Master of Magic, Colonization, Reach For the Stars (and its sequels : Master of Orion), Might & Magic III (a jewel)...

And really old games are Space Invaders and Pacman :D
    , and welcome to all new members.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

Thank you !

I read a few threads, and I wonder what "to play vanilla" means... could you help me ?

Member Member Asteroids Champion, Run N Gun Champion, Hook Line & Sinker Champion, Zoo Keeper Champion, Street Racer Champion, Pipe Mania Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Boxteroid Champion, Spider Jump Champion, Asteroids 2k3 Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Desert Battle Champion, Soap Bubble Champion, Burger Time Champion, Bug Juice Champion, Plastic Saucer Champion, Quick Shot Champion, Shuriken Challenge Champion, James Bomb Champion, Gary Golf Champion, Red Beard Champion, Crazy Cars Champion, Cell-Out Champion, Space Runner Champion, Submarine Champion, Space Rescue Champion, Roller Blaze Champion, Cub Shoot 2 Champion, Radial Snake Champion, Kirby's Star Scramble Champion, Chicken Champion, Shootout Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Space Hunter Champion, Jail Break Champion, Squirrel Soccer Champion, Mouse Kill Champion, Treasure Diver Champion, Stuart's Xtreme Skateboarding Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Takion Champion, Jet Pac Stan Champion, Warthog Launch Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Gandys Quest Champion, Iceberg Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion, Shoot The Gatso Champion, QB Challenge Champion, Fall Down Champion, Invasion 2196 Champion, Frogger Champion, Skeleton Park Champion, Slack Man Champion, Fishing the Sea Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Ollie Skates Champion, Duck Tracker Champion, Bunny Grab Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, jetpacker Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Lift Champion, Brighton Bounty Champion, V:force Champion, Twelve Swap Champion, Tiger Moth Champion, Super Mario Mushroom Champion, Rotation Champion, Jack's Bar Champion, Fish Kill Champion, Ninja Turtles 2 Champion, Ping Champion, Killer Bob Champion, Cop-For-This Champion, Battle of Helms Deep Champion, Life Bouy Champion, Ice Racer Champion, Ghost 2000 Champion, Its Mine Champion, Home Run Rally Champion, Alien Invasion Champion, Homeland Defense Champion, KF 9000 Champion, Stick Avalanche Champion, Paintball Champion, What-A-Shot Champion, Reactor Champion, Grand Prix Challenge 2 Champion, Mars Patrol Champion, Starcastle Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Sonny Sunshine Champion, Home Run Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Pin Headz Champion, Fun Santa Champion, Mission Mars Champion, Tontie Champion ConjurerDragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Notwen View Post
    Thank you !

I read a few threads, and I wonder what "to play vanilla" means... could you help me ?
    The vanilla game refers to the game without any mods.

Thank you !

I still have some of the older games (I think). Recently dug out my STW (big red box) and I'm sure MI expansion is around somewhere as well and might actually install them soon - time permitting - as I've gotten the itch again. It's been years since I played. Can't find my MTW and VI at all, they might actually have been "charity shopped" so I might have to get on to ebay at some point...

I only ever played the first two games seriously, the newer titles never appealed. I had a dabble in RTW for a while, but battle mechanics were broken by design, units horribly balanced and the awful movement points based campaign map game was a big turn off for me. M2TW was no better - much worse IMHO and I remember that I spent only a few hours over the space of a week or so on that one before throwing the towel in. At the time the advice I was getting was to install the "whatsit mod" and all will be well. But for me, mods never really fixed RTW either and mods are, when all is said and done, just someone's personal take on how the game should have been. After RTW the games were releasing broken and it seemed to be for modders to fix it. At some point, modding became more and more difficult (after low level changes and switch to the steam platform as I recall) and beyond that I lost interest and after reading the horror stories, regarding game balance and bugginess, in the later games, never bothered from that point on.

I think people in general get distracted by the visuals in some of these games and just fail to notice how bad they actually are...