Thread: Music in Historical Moment

Default Music in Historical Moment

Below are a couple of songs on the subject of 1992. "No More Barricades" represents the Russian/ex-Soviet context, while the iconic "Wind of Change" is interpretable either as a global anthem or a European one (and technically popularized from the beginning of 1991).

Listen to those songs, see how you feel (the Russian one has English lyrics). It's been a full generation since then - and how bitter the taste, no?

I want to hear your reflections on the above, but I also want to see this thread devoted to exploring how music can suit or reflect historical moments (or zeitgeist, if you like), including the present one. I wonder what you can come up with. For starters, any other songs to fill in the gaps for 1991-2? The absence of a representative for the United States begs to be resolved at least.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Music in Historical Moment

This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYMCLz5PQVw The crew of Apollo 17 was still lost in space when David Bowie wrote this nobody knew if they would make is.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

A quick perusal of the 91/92 hot 100 shows a lot of upbeat pop songs that generally extoll the virtues of American excess. Quite the juxtaposition between that and what was going on in Eastern Europe at the time.

I rather like the bookends of Bob Dylan and Don McLean for the 60s. In 1965 Bob Dylan releases "Subterranean Homesick Blues", his homage to Kerouac and the beatniks. The song is the metaphorical torch between the beat generation and the counter culture of 60s. It is fast, kind of disjointed, and generally trying to get you to question what is around you. Not a very polished song, but it didn't need to be. it was the war cry of a new age, the opening salvo of a youth ready to change things.

In 1972 Don McLean releases "American Pie". The story of the "the day the music died" through the waning days of Vietnam? (It is left ambiguous, we will get back to that). It is a song that should be the Companion to SHB in a lot of ways. The timeframes match, the general feelings match as the beat generation and the first mainstream success of rock music fell silent at the same time. American pie is A tribute to the death of the original rockstars and the tumult of a young boys adolescence in the aftermath. However, unlike SHBs, the song is extremely polished. All the right notes are hit, all the pieces move as you think they should, and it gives the appearance of depth while being shallow. It is nostalgic kitsch sold as counter culture. McLean himself has never given a definitive answer on the symbolism, however he has said he never has to work again.

In 7 years the movement was cleaned, sanitized, and packaged for consumption. Capitalism always wins kids, never forget that. Even Dylan himself has essentially become acceptable opposition, what middle aged people do when they want to play at being naughty.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Composed in 1967, gaining in popularity throughout the following year...

Tommy Makem's " ."

Following not long after...The Troubles.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Ok. Just one rule - no WW2 songs.

It's kind of hard for me to participate, especially as late 80's to 00's I was living in country that was in quite a different situation than most of the world, even most other eastern European countries. But here, have one from my favourite author

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsgf1dM9ACY Also a good one. Chernobyle disaster in UKraine. At least it got me S.T.A.L.K.E.R. The last truly great pc-game (imho)
    Last edited by Fragony; 02-07-2018 at 12:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    At least it got me S.T.A.L.K.E.R. The last truly great pc-game (imho)
    That's a flagrant insult to all Total War community!
    And back to the topic:
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 02-07-2018 at 13:42.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    A lot of Americans thought the same thing during the 2016 presidential election it seems.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    A lot of Americans thought the same thing during the 2016 presidential election it seems.
    Is there any song they made about Trump?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Is there any song they made about Trump?
    There are a whole lot of songs being made about Trump.

Surely there were more professional songs about other events, but it just so happens that many professional musicians don't like Trump a lot and he can't force them to make songs yet. Or maybe I'm just not searching deep enough in the brown soup...

Sooner or later he may get a song like Tito:

Oh yeah, and there are the "other" songs made about Trump, they're much easier to find:

I mean the songs that earnestly glorified him, like the one (in fact there are lots of them - just couldn't find ones with subtitles) about Putin I posted.

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

I'll throw this song in the ring, the music video was released during the 2016 elections and seems to certainly illustrate political hate well. Not really my type of music but the video has excellent cinematography.
    WARNING VERY FOUL LANGUAGE
    DJ Shadow - Nobody Speaks

As for the OP, I think Billy Joel's: We Didn't Start the Fire has always had an appeal and spoken to the trauma happening the world around us.

For the increasingly hostile nature between self identifying folks on the Left and Right as well as the increasing wealth divide and the divide between urban and rural Roger Miller's: Where Have all the average people gone? has had timeless appeal to me personally.
    Last edited by spmetla; 02-08-2018 at 20:10.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

Member thankful for this post:

Husar