Thread: New twist found for re-inforcements

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Default New twist found for re-inforcements

I can't believe I hadn't discovered this earlier, given all the times it would have been really useful... but I decided to try it, and it worked....

Ever had one of those big battles with lots of re-inforcements, but you really want the new units to dismount? Well, there is a way to do it in the set-up phase.

eg you want Chiv Foot Knights instead of Chiv Knights for a castle assault: bring in the CKs in to your first wave, then dismount them and use the unit rotate button to put them back into the reinforcement queue. When they are called as reinforcements later they are still dismounted, and join the battle as CFKs instead of CKs. How cool is that?
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Default Re: New twist found for re-inforcements

Quote Originally Posted by macsen rufus View Post
    I can't believe I hadn't discovered this earlier, given all the times it would have been really useful... but I decided to try it, and it worked....

Ever had one of those big battles with lots of re-inforcements, but you really want the new units to dismount? Well, there is a way to do it in the set-up phase.

eg you want Chiv Foot Knights instead of Chiv Knights for a castle assault: bring in the CKs in to your first wave, then dismount them and use the unit rotate button to put them back into the reinforcement queue. When they are called as reinforcements later they are still dismounted, and join the battle as CFKs instead of CKs. How cool is that?
    I'm afraid it will only work for siege battles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

How do you get knight to dismount and then go back into the Reinforcement Que?How do you dismount and Noble Horseman.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    I'm afraid it will only work for siege battles.
    Not so. It does work for any battle where units can be dismounted. So, CK to CFK is only possible in sieges, but there are other units which can dismount in open battle - and as I usually play mods, there are more of them (and I can't remember all the ones in vanilla that can...).

How do you get knight to dismount and then go back into the Reinforcement Que?How do you dismount and Noble Horseman.
    To check if a unit can dismount, right-click on its icon and a button will come up - if it's greyed out it can't dismount, otherwise click on that. To cycle units back into the queue use the little black square icon in the top right of the screen (where the reinforcement icon comes up during the battle). Just remember that a unit that is cycled out goes to the back of the queue, so you need to set it up carefully before you start...

Pics added:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00000036.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	20570

Name:	00000037.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	20571

Name:	00000038.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	20572

Name:	00000041.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	20573
    Last edited by macsen rufus; 02-18-2018 at 01:38.

Discussion forum thread

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

That's pretty handy, I've never tried to do that before. Of course, I always forget about the dismount feature anyway...
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Is it advantageous to dismount? Even in sieges, once the breach is made or the gates opened, cavalry is a winner being able to ride to the rear.

Is it advantageous to dismount?
    Not always, but sometimes it is, and sometimes you want those dismounted units in the re-inforcements. And now you know how to do it, that's the point - it's about how the engine works. Your tactical choices are on you, I'm just showing you that you have more choices on the menu. It's up to you to use it or not.

Discussion forum thread

Quote Originally Posted by LordK9 View Post
    Is it advantageous to dismount? Even in sieges, once the breach is made or the gates opened, cavalry is a winner being able to ride to the rear.
    If the beseiged have spears or polearms your cavalry will be slashed into mincemeat. So before dismounting them you should check out who is inside. Anyway, you don't have to dismount ALL of your cavalry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...