Thread: Appreciation for S2

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Default Appreciation for S2

I just wanted to pop back to the .org and say that I've finally understood people's reverence for this game. After a long hiatus from any TW style titles I now get it. The diplomacy, the trade, the units who seem the same but are actually very different (contrast with Rome II where they seem the same and are exactly that), the historical accuracy, the significance of your family tree and generals, the trade system, realm divide - all of it. While it's not Medieval 2 / Rome 1 which will remain my favorites (because of the engine used and the periods), I really do want to say that yes, yes - you guys and gals were right. Shogun II is indeed a masterpiece.

Also, i got inspired to do another Legendary run or two in the very little spare time that I have. What inspired me you ask? Well, this:

The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Default Re: Appreciation for S2

Hi Myth! If you want to go deep in the era. This is the next step from S2: http://store.steampowered.com/app/39..._of_Influence/
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Ah, good old Shogun 2.

When it came out, I was incredibly excited. More than 10 years after the original, finally we get to play the sequel. And so much fun it was + I love the RPG style multiplayer.

300 hours in S2TW, excellent memories.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Member thankful for this post:

Myth 

Retired Senior Member Prince Cobra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Shogun 2 is a dream game. The AI was challenging, a lot of option with both armies and agents, diplomatic options and a bit of chance... My favourite were the Mori and the Tokugawa. The first have a strong Navy and I never had the opportunity to play naval battles in another total wat title (though the AI is better on the offensive). The second I love because of their geographic position (central Japan opens a lot of holy places and ninja hideouts) and powerful metsukes (bribes!). If/when I find time, I will give it a try with the Takeda. For I have developed great respect for the cavalry tactics in this game. It may be counter-intuitive but light cavalry is deadly in early sieges (general kill!) and the more improved versions of cavalry are excellent in enemy flanking/ crushing those nasty katana samurais.

Which clan did you pick, by the way? I think every clan has unique taste and that mkes the game even more lovely
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 03-11-2018 at 14:59.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Every single clan. I completed a campaign with every single major clan, minus the Ikko Ikki and the Hattori.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?