Thread: CA!!! Do not let this happend!

Exclamation

CA for the worlds history sake Vikings did never ever and forever never had any horns on their helms That is an American invention made by the creator of Hagbard a cartoon serial This is really important I will laugh alot if I see a viking with horns on his helm in the game And think how pathetic

Archaeologists sometimes joking about this and says, what if Vikings did have horns on their helms? Whats is in that chase the good use for it? To put up your laundry between the horns???
    Cheaters never win and winners never cheat - KeePah 1996

I think fishpants (urg) said there would be no horns

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

Lost in Filesystem Member einar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (KeePah @ Jan. 16 2003,02:56)]CA for the worlds history sake Vikings did never ever and forever never had any horns on their helms That is an American invention made by the creator of Hagbard a cartoon serial This is really important I will laugh alot if I see a viking with horns on his helm in the game And think how pathetic
    Yes, i think the same, you're right, in www.totalwar.com appears a viking with big horns on his helm.

This is no realistic. I've observed that the helm is very similar to authentic viking helms, but it have implanted two unrealistic horns....
    Rekisteröitynyt Linux käyttäjä nro 221083
    http://barrapunto.com/index.pl?secti...einarmatveinen

Of all the names Constantinopel have had, I believe the viking name for it is the most beautilful:

MIKLAGARD

Players uprising if vikings have horns on the helmet

Bakdal
    Så bagte de Harry - End of safari

- Shu-bi-dua

Member Member Lord of the Isles's Avatar

If you'd done a search of the forums using the Keyword "Horns", you would have found a posting in a thread from longjohn2, who works for CA, reassuring us on this point:

Quote[/b] ]
    Don't worry, the Vikings only have horns on the box cover. The ones you play with have sensible helmets. Fishpants and I were adament about that.
    The thread can be found at:

http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin....s;st=25

No thanks necessary; all part of the service you're paying for...

Quote[/b] (Lord of the Isles @ Jan. 16 2003,04:45)]If you'd done a search of the forums using the Keyword "Horns", you would have found a posting in a thread from longjohn2, who works for CA, reassuring us on this point:

Quote[/b] ]
    Don't worry, the Vikings only have horns on the box cover. The ones you play with have sensible helmets. Fishpants and I were adament about that.
    The thread can be found at:

http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin....s;st=25

No thanks necessary; all part of the service you're paying for...

Oh, thanks, it's difficult read all the posts and i forget using the search tool....

Quote (Lord of the Isles @ Jan. 16 2003,04:45)
    If you'd done a search of the forums using the Keyword "Horns", you would have found a posting in a thread from longjohn2, who works for CA, reassuring us on this point:

I actually did see that reply from Longjohn, and I believe I didn't sounded to worried(?).
    Still, why should they wear a horn on the box cover? To please all the ignorants, or what?

Bakdal
    Så bagte de Harry - End of safari

- Shu-bi-dua

Palace of the Porphyrogenitus, Constantinople

But why did they even put them on the box cover? The artist who drew that picture needs to be nailed to a church door. If you wanted an image which a large majority of people recognised as 'Viking' why didn't you have a longboat with (unhorned) vikings in the foreground wading to shore?

The cover is the first thing a buyer sees, and the message the Viking Invasion cover sends out is "The developers of this game didn't bother to do much research on their subject matter, you should expect something less historically accurate than 'Age of Mythology'".

Now we all know that this isn't the case, but then again we have visited the website, looked at the screenshots and read the devs' posts. However, the majority of buyers are unlikely to know a huge amount about the product before they see it on the shelf.

The box cover is a picture of the Minnesota Vikings. Their mascot does have horns and the team helmets have horns painted on them. Alas, I'm worried CA forgot to include them in the VI game.
    This space intentionally left blank

Whimsysmith & Designy Bloke CA Captain Fishpants's Avatar

Once again, I reach for my keyboard to explain the "horny Vikings" problem:

I don't like horned helmets. You don't like horned helmets. History doesn't like horned helmets.

Marketing likes horny helmets. They not only love them, but they think they shriek "VIKINGS" to everyone who sees them. In this, sadly, barring the more educated and aware kind of people who frequent the forum, they may (sadly) be right.

So: the marketing men win on the the horned helmet front. Can we please move beyond horned helmets, given that they are only going to appear on the box cover art and not in the game at all? I'd hoped that people were going to want to know more about the other neat and cool stuff in VI, not get honked off about horns.

MikeB
    Gentlemen should exercise caution and wear stout-sided boots when using the Fintry-Kyle Escape Apparatus. Ladies, children, servants and those of a nervous disposition should be strongly encouraged to seek other means of hurried egress.

The formal bit: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Quote[/b] (Captain Fishpants @ Jan. 16 2003,11:12)]I don't like horned helmets. You don't like horned helmets. History doesn't like horned helmets.

So: the marketing men win on the the horned helmet front. Can we please move beyond horned helmets, given that they are only going to appear on the box cover art and not in the game at all? I'd hoped that people were going to want to know more about the other neat and cool stuff in VI, not get honked off about horns.
    Yes. I don't like viking helmets with horns. I don't like marketing people with or without horns

Senior Member Senior Member Jacque Schtrapp's Avatar

Quote[/b] (Captain Fishpants @ Jan. 16 2003,11:12)]I'd hoped that people were going to want to know more about the other neat and cool stuff in VI, not get honked off about horns.

MikeB
    We'd love to know more. What would you like to tell us?

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

ok, i'm bored, so i'm just gonna stir this pot a bit ;) first off, i really could care less if we have horny vikings or not. frankly, i like the image.

second, for all those that say 'vikings did not have horns on their helmets', that's a pretty broad statement. i would point out that there are a lot of common 'accepted ideas' about 'history'. one of these, for instance, is that the french beheaded everyone they executed around the time of the french revolution. that's just sort of an accepted thing. we hear french revolution and think guillotine and beheading. however, many parts of france didnt have guillotines or use them very often. it was actually a fairly common practice to just hang folks in various parts of france. so these 'accepted' standards are kind of sterotypes.

i would also point out there there was more than one type of 'viking'. you had danish vikings, norwegian vikings, swedish vikings and so on. to make such a sweeping statement that no 'viking' ever wore horns on a helmet is pretty arrogant, just as it would be to say that all vikings wore horns on their helmets. it's just assumptive and arrogant. there may well have been vikings that did wear these horns. for all i know, they wore entire reindeer on their heads ;) now, if you were to make the statement more like 'no viking helmets have ever been found that had horns attached', why then, ok. but even that doesnt preclude that no viking ever wore horns on his helmet.

horns, no horns...who cares? i'm with fishpants (boy, that sounds funny), show me the game where's my pre-release copy so i can review the bloody thing and beta test it? ;)

K.

Humanist Senior Member A.Saturnus's Avatar

They put horns on the box to scare the hell out of you freaks
    Think about it as such: even if they have horns on their helmets, it`s better than satellite antennas out of their asses, isn`t it?
    I, for one, care more if they improve diplomacy at least at bit.

put it this way it wasnt the yanks that invented horned vikings u fool it was english monks about 600 years before any1 knew anything about america.

also they look better with horns.

ahh who cares theyl all be dead anyway my scotts will see to that.

British Army: be the best

Horny Vikings That's a kneeslapper... [giggle, snort]

I'm pretty excited about VI - funny cover and all.

Senior Member Senior Member Hakonarson's Avatar

Quote[/b] (Kraellin @ Jan. 16 2003,13:01)]for all i know, they wore entire reindeer on their heads
    Funny you shuold mention that........

Lapplanders did ride reindeer - they aren't quite vikings, but they're close.......so will there be Reindeer "cavalry" in the game??

No no no, vikings wearing horned helmets was actually a gesture of courtesy. I mean, say a scot did an overhead axe swing at their noggin, but it missed, too bad you say? Well think again, suppose it happens to catch the horn? Well the axe would be guided right back to the target Very considerate fellows those vikings were

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

The vikings did actually have horned helmets, but they were only used for ceremony.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.