Thread: No solutions for CTDs: please help me.

Default No solutions for CTDs: please help me.

Hi guys, I'm new in the forum. I hope you can help me because I don't see the end of my struggle.

I have EB 1.2 (With all the patches and hotfixes needed), here is where it's located: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Rome Total War Gold

These are my pc's informations (laptop):
    CPU: Intel Core i7 - 3537U, 2.0 GHz
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce 740M
    RAM: 4 GB

Rome Total War: 1.5, Steam Version (Installed previously with CD)
    Europa Barbarorum: 1.2

First problem encountered (Campaign CTDs)
    In the early part of my campaign (SPQR) the game runs perfectly, but when I begin to invade Gaul, the game starts to have troubles, crashing during the loading of a battle or when I decide the fate of a conquered settlement. I did ALL of the suggestions to possibly avoid the CTD's, such as waiting after a battle, don't save right before the battle, playing for max 1 hour. I also installed the Fixes, made the game compatible for Windows Xp, made the game running with 1 CPU, and I also installed the Large Address Aware using CFF Explorer, but NOTHING works. NOTHING.

Second problem encounterd (Custom Battle loading screen CTDs)
    The game runs perfectly when loading a huge custom battle and during the battle itself. But if I try to play another battle right after the first one, I get a CTD.
    But this doesn't always happen: for example, if I start a battle with 1 unit for each faction, the next battle (huge 2 vs 2 with Army selected to huge ) doesn't have CTD, and I don't encounter CTDs for the next 9-10 battles, then, at eleventh (example) I get a CTD during the loading. I first noticed that the CTDs didn't occur when I didn't let the menu music to end, because once is over, it's doesn't loop. So I supposed that the problem could have been the end of music, but in the following tests I did, I got that this was not true, since the CTD occurred also when I tried to do a 1 unit vs 1 unit (very fast selection, music still playing).

Please, help me because I really enjoy this game, but I don't see any solution anymore.

(Sorry for my bad english)
    Last edited by Arcaneevan; 03-03-2018 at 13:21.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: No solutions for CTDs: please help me.

Hello Arcaneevan,

I am not sure if this is the cause, but I do know that R:TW and M2:TW have problems with large path-lengths / addresses. Which is to say: if they need a file with a long address (for example: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Rome Total War Gold\Europa Barbarorum\data\models\unit_argranian_infantry_heavy_late"), they may crash. For EB2 (for M2:TW), there is fix called "Large address aware", which you find in this thread. A more straightforward solution would be to deinstall the game, and change the STEAM settings so it will reinstall base R:TW in a folder with a shorter path length ("C:\Steamapps").

I hope this helps.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Default Re: No solutions for CTDs: please help me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    Hello Arcaneevan,

I am not sure if this is the cause, but I do know that R:TW and M2:TW have problems with large path-lengths / addresses. Which is to say: if they need a file with a long address (for example: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Rome Total War Gold\Europa Barbarorum\data\models\unit_argranian_infantry_heavy_late"), they may crash. For EB2 (for M2:TW), there is fix called "Large address aware", which you find in this thread. A more straightforward solution would be to deinstall the game, and change the STEAM settings so it will reinstall base R:TW in a folder with a shorter path length ("C:\Steamapps").

I hope this helps.
    So I need to uninstall both EB and RTW?
    How can I change the STEAM settings so it will reinstall Vanilla in a folder with a shorter path lenght?

Thank you, I will try this :)

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arcaneevan View Post
    So I need to uninstall both EB and RTW?
    How can I change the STEAM settings so it will reinstall Vanilla in a folder with a shorter path lenght?
    Apologies Arcaneevan - your post got somehow held up by our spamfilter.

If you want to change the path length, then yes: you need to uninstall both EB and R:TW. The installation folder can be determined somewhere in Steam's settings.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!