Thread: Funeral service controversy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Funeral service controversy

Preface.

There are two major Orthodox churches in Ukraine: Ukrainian Orthodox church (of Kyiv Patriarchy) and Ukrainian Orthodox church (of Moscow Patriarchy). The former is not recognized by other Orthodox churches and thus is considered uncanonical and (by Russian Orthodox church and by Ukrainian Orthodox church of Moscow Patriarchy) heretic/schismatic. But many people who are not very ardent believers just go to the nearest church (when they have a mind to) being very often unaware to what Orthodox confession it belongs.

The event.

About a month ago in Zaporizhya a young man went out of the door of a high rise building with a baby carriage in which he was taking his two-year-old son (baptized in the church of Kyiv patriarchy) for a walk. Unfortunately, a suicide hurtled down from on high and fell straight on the carriage killing not only himself but the baby as well.

The parents invited a priest from the nearest church (where his older sister had been baptized) to perform the funeral service over the baby. The priest of Moscow patriarchy came and after learning that the child had being baptized in "the schismatic church" he refused to perform the service. In vain did the distraught parent entreat him to do it. They had to stop the funeral to fetch the priest of Kyiv Orthodox church. Later when the Moscow church bishop learned about it he approved his subordinate's behavior. Many people were indignant at that and started bringing baby toys to the church where the priest works.

So my question is: was the priest right in refusing to perform the service over a "pagan/schismatic" or should his Christian feelings have prevailed over his loyalty to canons?
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Default Re: Funeral service controversy

The sad thing about that is baby dying.

I will refrain from expressing my personal opinion about organized religion and its institutions, as I would have to use the language I find distasteful.

Member thankful for this post:

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My signature covers this.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

In Russia, God doesn't love all babies?

A perfect example for how suicide also hurts others though...

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Not sure what to say.

Not gonna link it, but there is a vid/gif of an Eastern European couple hanging around by an apartment tower with a bottle of wine, when a man slams into the pavement with the upper half of his body on fire. The woman flees immediately. The man makes to bolt, but then runs back to grab the wine as the body continues to burn.

Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Priest could have called a priest from their church, he's a jerk