Thread: Control of allied AI armies

Default Control of allied AI armies

Probably a very old and stupid question, but I couldn't find the answer by searching: Is there any way to assume control of an allied army during a battle, to stop them just charging into the fray for example?

Default Re: Control of allied AI armies

Hi Danster,

I think that's not possible. You can only take control of the armies of your faction during a battle.
    Knowing this, try to consider your allies more like a distraction for your enemy. Due to the AI limitations, your men shall always be the ones who do the dirty work.

Quote Originally Posted by mephiston View Post
    Hi Danster,

I think that's not possible. You can only take control of the armies of your faction during a battle.
    Knowing this, try to consider your allies more like a distraction for your enemy. Due to the AI limitations, your men shall always be the ones who do the dirty work.
    Thank you! My wording may have been bad. By "allies" I meant an AI controlled army of my own faction joining the battle. But perhaps your answer would be the same though, but I seem to remember in early or vanilla versions , one had some, albeit limited, control over AI units of the same faction on the battlefield.

So I guess I did misunderstand you. In fact it is possible to take control of your own reinforcements, i.e. the armies of your own faction joining after the end of the deployment phase. You need to untick the box "Allow AI to take control of this army" in the menu that pops up when you engage battle.

IIRC there is some sort of bug if you check the composition of enemy armies in this menu (i.e. you right-click the banners of the enemy armies to see their units): in fact the AI control option happens to reset sometimes after you check the composition. The only workaround that I know about is to tick/untick multiple times the box ending with the correct option, so that you can be 100% sure that the game didn't screw you over. And remember to do this tick/untick shenanigan AFTER you checked the enemy army(/armies) composition.

Hope this helps!

Member thankful for this post:

Many thanks. I'll definitely try your concoction!