Thread: Battle Mechanics - ToB

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Battle Mechanics - ToB

Something that is minor but has a major impact - cavalry spacing!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Default Re: Battle Mechanics - ToB

I really like that charge reflection would love to see that retro'd to other titles.
    Cavalry spacing looks good in their demonstration but I have some reservations.
    Critical hits will need very careful balancing, if the chance is too high then its going to pretty much completely negate armor
    Wide streets/open settlement layout sounds suspiciously like 'making it really hard for defenders'
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

More on settlements

Like I feared WG seem to be focused on making life easy for attackers with large armies instead of what fortification is actually for: making life hard for attackers & easier for outnumbered defenders.

Defender needs choke points and opportunities to setup flanking defenses, places that force the enemy to pass below a flanking battlement where missile troops can wear down the enemy.
    Unless Garrison forces are really strong or you happen to have a stack defending, these settlements are going to be basically impossible to hold because you'll just get enveloped

There do seem to be some missile unit flanking/raised areas behind that might be useful for defender missile units but I'm not convinced they're in places that will actually get used/missile units will have the range to be useful.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Yeah that was my concern as well. The settlements look amazing, but I think with anything less than 15 unit garrisons it would be impossible to hold. I would legitimately prefer it if garrisons were a handful of good units plus a dozen or so of levies. Would make sense I think, since a larger town would in theory press into service as many able bodies as possible to defend the town.

Otherwise, it would be basically mandatory to retreat to one of the inner rings to be able to defend better. It does look like there are choke points, but without enough units it would be useless anyways.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

You still have chokepoints, and you should be able to defend the big plaza at the center.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?