Thread: EB Online Tournament 2018

Default EB Online Tournament 2018

Hello everyone!

As the title says, a new tournament has been organized for Europa Barbarorum Online! Check out the official post to know all the details and the rules.

Sign ups end on the 30th of April, and a good number of players already joined. If you are interested, don't hesitate to contact us!

Member thankful for this post:

Vlixes 

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: EB Online Tournament 2018

Excellent news. I hope you get a lot of interest.

Maybe you should also post notices on the EB1 and EB2 fora? I don't think many people still watch the R:TW MP forum.

Did you post an announcement at the TWC?
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Members thankful for this post (2):

Thanks Ludens for your reply. I wrote here since the EB MP subforum linked to the RTW MP one. I'll spread the announcements in the other fora as you suggested. Thanks!

Athena's favorite Member Vlixes's Avatar

I hope this announcement will encourage some old and new players.
    Quetzalcóatl, The Feathered Serpent.
    Greek/Roman/Spanish/Mexican
    From Tellos Athenaios as welcome to Campus Martius
    Welt ist ein Geltungsphänomen
    Edmund Husserl
    τὰ δε πὰντα οἰακίζει κεραυνόϛ
    Ἡράκλειτος ὁ Ἐφέσιος

Athena's favorite Member Vlixes's Avatar

It is a shame that this part of the fórum is almost a cemetery...
    Quetzalcóatl, The Feathered Serpent.
    Greek/Roman/Spanish/Mexican
    From Tellos Athenaios as welcome to Campus Martius
    Welt ist ein Geltungsphänomen
    Edmund Husserl
    τὰ δε πὰντα οἰακίζει κεραυνόϛ
    Ἡράκλειτος ὁ Ἐφέσιος

Well, you can say the same for EB on the Org in general, unfortunately. Even if the internal fora are all here, most of the activity is concentrated on TWC. And the absence of the old players is a death sentence for this specific section of EB.

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mephiston View Post
    Well, you can say the same for EB on the Org in general, unfortunately. Even if the internal fora are all here, most of the activity is concentrated on TWC. And the absence of the old players is a death sentence for this specific section of EB.
    F. Those were the days.

Will you be uploading the replays of this tournament somewhere? I'm too late to take part in the tournament myself but I'd like to watch the battles all the same.
    Last edited by The Celtic Viking; 05-08-2018 at 16:22.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Quote Originally Posted by The Celtic Viking View Post
    F. Those were the days.

Will you be uploading the replays of this tournament somewhere? I'm too late to take part in the tournament myself but I'd like to watch the battles all the same.
    For you I can make an exception.
    These days are meant for training before the proper start of the tournament, so if you feel confident you can sign up no problem. Besides you're also one of the old experts I was talking about, so no real surprise if you need less time to come back to the game in a reasonable / good shape.

I'll definitely upload the replays. I'll pin them in the blog where the announcement of the tournament was published (you can already find some replays in the dedicated section) as .rpy files and, if Vlixes agrees, some YouTube commentaries can be added to his pool.

I don't know whether it's a feasible idea or not, but I'd like to cast some live battles, for example the finals: this is something that happens regularly for many RTS games and I find it really entertaining.

I'd love to hear your opinions about that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mephiston View Post
    For you I can make an exception.
    These days are meant for training before the proper start of the tournament, so if you feel confident you can sign up no problem. Besides you're also one of the old experts I was talking about, so no real surprise if you need less time to come back to the game in a reasonable / good shape.

I'll definitely upload the replays. I'll pin them in the blog where the announcement of the tournament was published (you can already find some replays in the dedicated section) as .rpy files and, if Vlixes agrees, some YouTube commentaries can be added to his pool.

I don't know whether it's a feasible idea or not, but I'd like to cast some live battles, for example the finals: this is something that happens regularly for many RTS games and I find it really entertaining.

I'd love to hear your opinions about that anyway.
    If you have a computer that can handle it then I think live streaming it over twitch sounds like a great idea that you should definitely look into if you're serious about it. Try it out now before the tournament starts just to see how it works out and give yourself some practice casting it if it does.

As for taking part in this tournament myself, I just realized that you might be playing this through steam and I don't have a steam version of this game. I seem to remember that this is a problem. Would I have to buy one to be able to participate?

By the way, are you Vartan under a new account? You seem to know me but I don't recognize your name.
    Last edited by The Celtic Viking; 05-10-2018 at 00:22.

Thanks, I'll look into it. Sometimes I have lag spikes due to my connection, so trying it out beforehand is definitely necessary.

That is something I did not think about: we are indeed playing through Steam. If you have the RTW Gold Edition as retail copy, you can try redeeming it on Steam. I don't know the details (i. e. if you can still play with the retail copy after redeeming the Steam copy), but do consider the fact that you may be losing your DRM-free game in the process.

Unfortunately there is no way to play the game on Steam servers other than having a Steam copy of the game.

I'm not Vartan, and it's logical that you don't recognise my name since I started playing MP in late 2016. I know you just by fame: YouTube videos, threads here in the Org, Vlixes bringing up old memories about battles he had are my sources. Your reputation precedes you.
    Last edited by mephiston; 05-10-2018 at 08:13.

So I guess I would have to buy a second copy of the game to play which at least isn't particularly expensive at this point but it is a bit annoying. How active is the community aside of the tournament? Would it still be worth the purchase if MP is literally the only reason to get it?

So I guess I would have to buy a second copy of the game to play which at least isn't particularly expensive at this point but it is a bit annoying. How active is the community aside of the tournament? Would it still be worth the purchase if MP is literally the only reason to get it?
    The community is quite active, even if there are not many players left. I don't know how familiar you are with the "second generation" players, but you know Aeneas / Vlixes for sure. Recently antisocialmunky started playing again as well. I would say that battles are fought rather regularly, regardless of the activation of a tournament; however, you can't reliably expect to fight in something bigger than a 2v2 apart from historical scenarios, and even 2v2s are not that frequent either.

I agree, buying a brand new copy is quite annoying. Of course I won't force you to participate, even if your presence would be a great honour; plus, if I upload the replays and manage to stream some battles you can take a first-hand look at the community, and delay your decision for the time being.
    Last edited by mephiston; 05-11-2018 at 16:07.

Member thankful for this post:

Vlixes 

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind and think about it, as you suggest (the sweet-talking isn't hurting the odds, though ). Let me know how the streaming works out for you and good luck to all participants!

By the way, are you Vartan under a new account? You seem to know me but I don't recognize your name.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

This is very good to see. I'm glad you guys are back at it.

Oh, and... hi guys.

Nice to see you here, and thank you for your message.

It's great to see some old experts bringing back some activity. I hope this can help the EB online community to get some attention and refill the player base. :)

Oh, I'd be honoured if some of you would be interested in intervening in the thread about the new EDU! Your opinion is highly valuable, and I'd take it into serious consideration (not that I don't do it with others, but you know).
    Last edited by mephiston; 07-26-2018 at 19:20.