Thread: First impressions

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default First impressions

Ok so I had a little time to look around in ToB, play a couple of battles, and see how the game feels.

So first the battles.

They look amazing. Everything felt great, the units looked gorgeous, ran very smoothly on high. I can definitely up the graphics from what they are now without losing framerates. The maps look gorgeous. Unit collision could be weightier but still better than Rome 2. Cavalry charges feel appropriate, as you have to micromanage them well otherwise they will be cut down easily. General units arent sledgehammers and you have to be careful with how you use them. My biggest criticism though is that its very hard to see units through thick forest. Like almost impossible. Cant see the banners or anything. Other than that though it was great. AI actually seemed ok. Like once I marched my guys into archery range they charged in to close that distance. They tried to flank with their cavalry but I caught them. Biggest issue though I saw with the AI is that while one cavalry unit tried to be smart, the other galloped their way to the edge of the map and just kinda sat there for a while and eventually came back when they were the last on the map.

Some screenshots (pic of custom battle between Circenn and the Normans (who are super strong):

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

As for the campaign, I played a turn or two on it. It also looks amazing, though I need some time to digest everything as its different to what I am used to. I also haven't played TW in a while. I like how they no longer have that online encyclopedia anymore. The map is gorgeous, I love the art style, with plenty of details and it just looks great. I don't think I have much in the way of criticism yet since I haven't played much of the campaign and haven't seen the AI act one way or the other. I like how the family tree looks, but some of the stuff needs a "are you sure you want to do that?" button because I accidentally divorced my wife with a mis-click. The new tech system is interesting, and I'm interested to see how it plays out in a full campaign. Haven't really looked at the estate system but it looks similar to what Crusader Kings 2 has, sorta? Really looking forward to getting into this campaign once some patches come out and maybe some mods. Oh, and a blood & gore pack of course.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Member thankful for this post:

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Default Re: First impressions

I've played about 10-15 turns into a campaign as West Seaxe and I'm enjoying it so far. My impressions would be:

I really enjoy the aesthetics of the game so far. The art/portraits are pleasant to look at, and I like the look of the campaign map a lot. Overall I really like the general style of it like Hooahguy said, it looks really nice to me.

I'm not sure how much I enjoy the influence/loyalty/estate system so far. I don't think it's bad per se, but it can be a bit annoying trying to fiddle with estates and the intrigue menu. I kinda wish the Governors & Estates menu had the intrigue options instead of the family tree tab. I guess I can just chalk it up to personal annoyance. The UI is pretty clunky/convoluted to me personally, with time I'll figure it out, haven't played a TW game since M2 so that might be why.

Wish you could zoom further out on the campaign map, for me personally it feels extremely close even when fully zoomed out. There is a strategic view tab you can open which is nice, but it'd like to be able to zoom out and look around the map easily and see more.

Technology research seems interesting, but I have yet to unlock the ability to research anything. It seems to work that once fully improve farms, livestock, mines, etc. you unlock the ability to do research in that area as far as I can tell. If anyone has any idea let me know

I haven't had much experience with the battles, having fought only two so far, the first was fairly straight forward. The second was a bit weirder a weaker force attacked my army, because I was about to take one of their cities. It was a complete stomp and they basically lost everything. I'm playing on normal so that might be why or the fact that the faction is desperate they're at war with a lot of people.

The enemy I'm at war with took two of my settlements and then one of my vassals retook those settlements. They now own them and there doesn't seem to be a diplomatic option to get them back, or at least not one that I've found. The only option is attacking them. That was annoying imo.

The general followers are pretty interesting, I'm a fan of it, I don't know if it's new or from a previous game, but I think it's a good feature to influence stats.

I'm enjoying the game though, even if it may not sound like it, but those are the things that stuck out to me while playing.
    Last edited by Csargo; 05-04-2018 at 22:11.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

How different is it compared to Attila? Gameplay wise.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

REX POLONIAE Moderator KLAssurbanipal's Avatar

There is completely new system of units recruitment. It mix of recruitment and mercenaries system.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Personally Im waiting for the first patch (which supposedly makes the campaign AI not as dumb) plus the blood dlc to get started on this game. Until then it is remaining mostly unplayed, mainly due to time but also for the reasons stated. So a full assessment will have to wait.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Mine:
    Fuck I HATE requirement pools!
    And the Irish are weaky mcweaksauce.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Curiosity - how are the Welsh? I really want to do some good old fashioned longbow damage.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?