Thread: All these religious threads...

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Default All these religious threads...

Close them, please.

Discussing religion is one thing. Having an evangelist use Bible quotations as proof is something completely different.

Members thankful for this post (4):

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: All these religious threads...

It is not for me either but it is kinda the purpose of this place. Personally I would a more historical or artistic take on things as biblical texts can explain a lot about both, especially renaissance art

Slamming bible-texts is not of any use to me though
    Last edited by Fragony; 05-06-2018 at 14:15.

Member thankful for this post:

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Really? Someone makes a claim and someone else quotes Buddha as a counter argument?

Let Org die in dignity, at least.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I simply do not care, to each their own, I do not take religious arguments serious myself

It's the same as discussing "canon mythology" with any true believer.
    Star Trek is at least more interesting...
    Ja-mata TosaInu

At OP

"Talk with other members of the community about any topic, including civil discussions about politics and religion."

"if freedom of speech is taken away than dumb and silent may be led, like sheep to the slaughter"
    -George Washington

“People dont believe lies because they have to, but because they want to”
    -Malcolm Muggeridge

The above is what it is really about, or you have a severs case of one or more of the following

Heresyphobia- Fear of deviation from traditional doctrine.
    Gnosiophobia- Fear of knowledge.
    Phronemophobia- Fear of thinking

One thing I love about the org is its tolerance and commitment to free speech. I would hate for this forum to tern into another liberal, evolutionary, atheistic, topics only thread. If someone says something that others dont like, they are smart enough to know that person can avoid any thread they like. Hopefully like me they dont care.

I enjoy threads of viewpoints that challenge me. I hope you can learn to as well. Of course sinful unregenerate mankind heart hates its creator it is rebelling, so of course does not want to be reminded of him.

18 “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. 19 If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.
    john 15 18-19

The world cannot hate you, but it hates Me because I testify of it that its works are evil.
    John 7.7

And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed
    -John 3

18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
    1 Corinthians 1.18

But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him
    1 Corinthians 2 .14

Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.
    Galatians 1.10

14:1 The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.”
    psalm 14.1
    “I am sending you out like sheep among wolves.
    You will be hated by everyone because of me
    matt 10 16,22

“Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name’s sake.
    Matthew 24.9
    “Its been said that when human beings stop believing in god they believe in nothing. The truth is much worse, they believe in anything.” Malcolm maggeridge

The simple believes every word: but the prudent man looks well to his going. Proverbs -14.15
    The first to present his case seems right,till another comes forward and questions him -Proverbs 18.17

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
    Genesis 1.1

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Personally I dont mind the posts, because even though I feel they are a bit too scripture-heavy, they do contribute to the overall discussion here. I havent really been able to be around recently due to me being ridiculously busy and the fact that the Org is blocked at my work, which ironically is one of the places I have the time to engage in such discussions.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

While some people dislike those "mega-threads". I think in this case, it might be best since some of the topics were effectively the same with a slightly different question.

"Why does the one-ring corrupt?" "the behaviours from smeagol to gollum" "Gandalf's rejection? What gives?" "Sauron's forging of the one-ring" "greed for the ring?" etc are pretty similar enough to be together.
    Last edited by Beskar; 05-06-2018 at 22:15.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    While some people dislike those "mega-threads". I think in this case, it might be best since some of the topics were effectively the same with a slightly different question.

"Why does the one-ring corrupt?" "the behaviours from smeagol to gollum" "Gandalf's rejection? What gives?" "Sauron's forging of the one-ring" "greed for the ring?" etc are pretty similar enough to be together.
    Love the Tolkien references. Fair enough on the merging of the threads.
    Last edited by total relism; 05-06-2018 at 22:46.
    “Its been said that when human beings stop believing in god they believe in nothing. The truth is much worse, they believe in anything.” Malcolm maggeridge

The simple believes every word: but the prudent man looks well to his going. Proverbs -14.15
    The first to present his case seems right,till another comes forward and questions him -Proverbs 18.17

Genesis 1.1

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by total relism View Post
    Love the Tolkien references. Fair enough on the merging of the threads.
    I know you did the LotR thread in the front room!

But yes, a few of the threads were similar to get away with merging. I thought it was best as the topics can still be discussed without feeling overwhelmed by the topics. A suitable compromise.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    I know you did the LotR thread in the front room!

But yes, a few of the threads were similar to get away with merging. I thought it was best as the topics can still be discussed without feeling overwhelmed by the topics. A suitable compromise.
    Yeah i kind of flooded the thread. I shall take a break for awhile. If it does ever flood to much, like all over the thread with no relief and you need a big boat, i Noah a guy.......... that was awful. Their really is no excuse for that kind of stuff.

Genesis 1.1

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    Close them, please.
    Oh, come on. Like you read them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    Having an evangelist ANYONE use Bible quotations as proof is something completely different USELESS
    This is how it works for me.
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 05-07-2018 at 11:53.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rather than having all threads in lust a list, is there any way to have threads grouped but separate in content so those that like then have access to them but otherwise they are not dominating real-estate?

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill