Thread: Forum upgrade downtime

Research Fiend Technical Administrator Tetris Champion, Summer Games Champion, Snakeman Champion, Ms Pacman Champion therother's Avatar

Default Forum upgrade downtime

The forums will be offline Saturday afternoon UK time for an upgrade. It shouldn't take more than a few hours.
    Nullius addictus iurare in uerba magistri -- Quintus Horatius Flaccus

History is a pack of lies about events that never happened told by people who weren't there -- George Santayana

Members thankful for this post (2):

Research Fiend Technical Administrator Tetris Champion, Summer Games Champion, Snakeman Champion, Ms Pacman Champion therother's Avatar

Default Re: Forum upgrade downtime

Upgrade complete. There have been some changes to how signature and post images from certain sites are linked. Also, the search index had to be recompiled. This will take many hours.

Please post any issues in this thread.

History is a pack of lies about events that never happened told by people who weren't there -- George Santayana

Search function back online.

I think this counts as an issue:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b405a456-c4ea-49aa-b7d2-a7a73c8d6659.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	321.7 KB 
ID:	20754

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Yup, a template didn't merge quite right. Fixed now.

Quote Originally Posted by therother View Post
    Yup, a template didn't merge quite right. Fixed now.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Not sure if it's relevant to the update or not, but my account logs out automatically, despite ticking the ''Remember me'' box. Moreover, when I log in, instead of getting immediately directed to the main index, a message appears saying something about invalid URL. It doesn't happen to any other forum I visit (but there aren't many anyway).

That's odd. Trying clearing your cookies and cache, restart the browser and see if that resolves the issue.

I did it, but nothing changed. The weird thing is it happens randomly. For example, in my second visit, I'm not logged in. I don't bother to do anything and leave the site immediately. Then in my third visit, surprisingly I'm automatically logged in, but in the fourth I am not.

That sounds like an issue your end. Can you try with another browser? What style are you using?

Mozilla. I checked it in Chrome and the issue persisted. I used the front-page style, so I'll try something else and tell you the results. By the way, now that I logged in, the front-page style had changed (without me doing anything) into the ''Guild'' and the 6 messages glowing in my ''Notifications'' tab disappeared.

Same thing in Shogun 1 style, I am going to try Shogun 2. Not very optimist, to be sincere. Anyway, it's not a big deal, so nothing to worry. The only thing that startles me is why my notifications suddenly disappeared.

Hi,

Multiple threads are not working within the Medieval Total War Redux sub-fora (checked with IE and Chrome)... Among them the main/general/primary thread - which means that Redux can not be downloaded here at the Org... At all... For that, people are now left with little choice but to go elsewhere to get it. A circumstance that should be about 3 months old by now, as far as I can tell. Ummm, what is the point of having two additional staff-moderators assigned to that very forum if they are NOT going to modderate or even patrol/check that area (at all)? As in, these errors would have been discovered long time ago - if they (these extra Org-moderators) had done so.

Threads that are not functioning are (as far as I could tell)....

 Redux: Install Emergency!
     MTW-Redux Beta Released!
     Redux & W7...
     Redux: Battle & Tactics
     Redux: AI-expansion & trends
     Archived: Chronicle of Spain - A Redux 1004 AAR (Updated 1/2/14)
     Archers do not fire arrows in redux [resolved]
     Archived template: Battle report

Other then that, my (old) signature has been removed/deleted for reasons yet to be explained to me....

- A

The open delay is caused by the number of insecure hotlinked images within those threads, eg https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/images/redux/images/universal/RX_AI-Management900.jpg. The board caches insecure images locally to ensure that your browser does not give you a mixed content security warning but this takes time for image heavy threads. This caching is what is causing the pages to appear unresponsive: they will load if you wait long enough.

As for your signature, it was auto-updated with everyone else's signature to remove insecure images (see post 2 and the upgrade notice). I've moved your signature pic to the Org's server and have linked it there. Feel free to link to it elsewhere but please ensure the hosting site uses https (most image hosting sites support this).

I'll be plain,

This "upgrade" has effectively killed/destroyed those very threads as they can no longer be reasonably accessed or function properly as a direct result of it. The "insecure images" in question are freakin jpeg- or png-files, and can as such do zero harm to anybody. Besides, they are all game-related and legit somehow. I should know, I (unlike the others) actually moderate the place!

As it is now, it takes more then 10 minutes to load - if they load at all. That is completely unacceptable, by any standards. Not just for me personally, but to any modder out there. Most people will give up trying accessing any thread within 10 seconds - possibly 20 - if they are desperate enough. Beyond that is totally unreasonable to expect that anybody is still trying or are even willing to try accessing any thread, anywhere.

Clearly, I can not access these threads and attempt to fix them - even if I wanted too. Thus you do it, as you have both the knowhow and tools for it - and from my understanding - you created this mess in the first place. Then you show me how and a place to use that is supposedly "secure" where I can upload those and future images for use on this site - in order to (at least try to) save these threads from total dysfunction and utter abandonment, possibly the entire section. And along with it, the site-ability to have modders like myself to be active here at all - to do any kind of serious activity or support here for our work (on this site).

If not, what other choice do I have but to abandon this site altogether as a modder? Since I am then robbed of any serious chance to support or even be active here in regards to my own work on this site. For crying out load, I can't even answer, access or edit posts, or create any new ones in these threads...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 08-15-2018 at 13:13.

Seeing as you ask so nicely...

The problem is (seemingly) fixed. This is good. You have reacted and worked fast. This is also good. For this you certainly deserve due credit. Have some, on me...

- A