Thread: First gameplay footage still pre-alpha, final game will look way way better than this

Default First gameplay footage still pre-alpha, final game will look way way better than this

I am very grateful for having historical mode as a secondary option, as a tribute to their ''legacy''. Commentator needs to work his pronunciation, we shouldn't have replaced Wade-Giles with Pinyin.
    Last edited by Crandar; 06-08-2018 at 21:19. Reason: I'm dumb.

Default Re: First gameplay footage still pre-alpha, final game will look way way better than

Looks great. The map and castle are so big. Are seige weapons too op? They literally knocked out the sections of the wall completely. I was hoping for some fighting on top of castle walls. Duel are nice in that it fits in the fictionalized version of heroes of the period, but balance is an issue. I wonder if you just watch duel unfold or have some control over it. It's cool to have those individual generals/great warriors running around in battlefield and have each of them do something significant, reminds me of the magic in the original literature.

Default Re: First gameplay footage still pre-alpha, final game will look way way better than

Agreed on the question about the siege weapons being too overpowered. One barrage knocks the walls down? The ladder climbing animation looked a bit leapy and fast. The duel looked very good with some supernatural elements (catching the spear). I do hope there is a switch for historical/fictional so we can have the best of both worlds.
    This space intentionally left blank

I think the footage was cut down, so maybe it wasn't just one barrage. Gotta say though, the soldiers jumping like grasshoppers while climbing the walls and the childish insults between the heroes were quite cringey. It reminded me of the glorious days of the Empire:
    Last edited by Crandar; 06-09-2018 at 09:26. Reason: I remain quite dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi View Post
    Agreed on the question about the siege weapons being too overpowered. One barrage knocks the walls down? The ladder climbing animation looked a bit leapy and fast. The duel looked very good with some supernatural elements (catching the spear). I do hope there is a switch for historical/fictional so we can have the best of both worlds.
    The gameplay footage is of the romance mode, not the historical mode. So we can expect things you would see from John Woo's Red Cliff movie and stuff like that.

I really hope they add all the supernatural elements like the Shu forces summoning winds to burn down the Wei ships. You get gameplay like warhammer and a grounded TW game in one.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

They are showcasing the romanticised version first - after all, it is basing itself on the famous epics.

With regards to the new game mechanics, particularly the heroes part, you can definitely see the Warhammer TW influence in here which will definitely make it appealing for W:TW fans. We'll see how this will be handled in the historical part.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Meanwhile, a random hero of the next historical game:

I don't mind the Slavs wearing Adidas trousers. I don't mind the auxiliaries in Empire Divided dressed in copy-pasted from Attila Hunnic armor. I don't mind the misspelled French marshals and Iranian kings. But I am disappointed at insincerity.

When your game is so obviously modeled according to Dynasty Warriors, in defiance to both the Romance and the Records, at least have the guts to say so.

This has longer footage, pauses on interesting stuff, other details etc

Looks pretty good I think, at least bits of it.

I really hate the idea of another game where all infantry can just climb the walls.
    Like he says in this infantry just walking up & climbing walls basically negates the purpose & value of walls, I'd much rather see it restricted to specific elite/assault type troops or something.

Whats the historicity of Trebuchets in this time & era? Wiki says weighted as seen here is not till 1200ad but rope pull aka mangonel is back to 400bc so technically wrong but sort of forgivable.

Both Romance & Historic modes sounds like a really good thing, aspects of the Romance version sound pretty fun but I generally would prefer a historic version so both is good.
    But possibly means balance issues between modes where they can't balance one properly due to the balance of the other and/or might cause a lack of attention to one/both versions.

Here's a vid with commentary from CA guy

And another
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

This is still based on Warscape from what it looks like.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Interesting.. and with the massive chinese market on pc games out there, makes sense commercially too..