Thread: Welcome to the Republic of North Macedonia

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Welcome to the Republic of North Macedonia

They finally reached a compromise!

"After 27 years of talks - and many protests - they have settled on the name Republic of North Macedonia, or Severna Makedonija in Macedonian."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44401643
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Default Re: Welcome to the Republic of North Macedonia

I have been waiting for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    It took a minute for me, at least.

Here's a direct link to the official video for people who don't want to deal with Vimeo: Macedonian Cafe

If Macedonians want to use that name for the same reasons Greeks don't want them to use it...

Cornishfolk were recently angered by depiction of scones with jam atop cream, which is the custom of those incomers in Devonshire. The venerable tradition carried on by a nigh-unbroken 100 generations of the Kernowyon is jam first, then cream.

#JamFirst

The National Trust's Lanhydrock in Bodmin angered Cornish locals by depicting the delicacy in the rival Devon tradition on a Facebook post.
    [...]
    The member of staff responsible for the post "had been reprimanded and marched back over the Tamar" to neighbouring county Devon, the Trust said.
    If only PVC were here.
    Last edited by Montmorency; 06-13-2018 at 02:15.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Man, the butthurt is going to be immense on both radical sides. Our local extremists have organised a rally for the 8th of July.
    It's not going to be as massive as the previous ones I suspect, but still, my kitsch expectations are very high.

Let's hope for the best, I want generals praising the dictatorship and priests excommunicating the government.

Personally, I am moderately optimist, at least until the deal is confirmed and ratified. I don't know for Northern Macedonia, but our weak government has a great reputation of backtracking.

Quote Originally Posted by Crandar View Post
    Personally, I am moderately optimist, at least until the deal is confirmed and ratified. I don't know for Northern Macedonia, but our weak government has a great reputation of backtracking.
    AFAIK there should be a referendum in (Northern) Macedonia on the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

*facepalm*

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Let's not be dramatic. As Guardian clarifies he cannot stop it. The procedure is simple:
    1. The Parliament votes for the agreement.
    2. If the vote is positive, then it is asked from the president to sign it.
    3. If the president refuses, then the parliament votes again.
    4. If the second vote is also positive, then the deal has been ratified, regardless of the president's wishes.

His refusal complicates the issue a bit, but it hasn't condemned the agreement.

Members thankful for this post (2):

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Would be a shame if it doesn work out. I can understand why the Greeks aren't very happy with what is basicly a falsification of their history. Calling it Northern-Macedonia isn't even that far off everybody should be happy really

There's no falsification of history involved. The agreement explicitly states that modern and ancient Macedonians are different people, condemns the Antiquization campaign of Gruevsky and describes the Macedonian language as Slavic. Even if there was, getting triggered over conflicting nationalist narratives is oversensitive, in my honest opinion.

Sincerely, it's much better than what I expected and I consider the two parties in power as jokes.

If some Athenians that used to call us Bulgarian savages and a couple of Northerners of actually Pontic descent, whose ancestors basically spoke Turkic instead of Greek, are feel salty, that's their own little problem. Meanwhile, I'm going to enjoy their delicious tears.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I can understand how it can be seen as such. I am not going to disregard the sentiments and just call it petty nationalism as some do (not talking about you guys)
    Last edited by Fragony; 06-17-2018 at 20:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    I can understand how it can be seen as such. I am not going to disregard the sentiments and just call it petty nationalism as some do (not talking about you guys)
    I wouldn't call that "petty":
    https://news.sky.com/story/protests-...r-row-11407740

Our riot police is notoriously brutal. They beat down journalists and gas pensioners. Usually the far right tabloids applaud the use of violence against communist troublemakers, but yesterday they didn't seem to enjoy the police's brave efforts to impose serenity. Ironic, isn't it?

Blog Entries

Crandar, are you in/from FYROM? I thought you were Greek for some reason.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    I thought you were Greek for some reason.
    So did I.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Crandar, are you in/from FYROM? I thought you were Greek for some reason.
    I am, why did you think otherwise? The comment about "Bulgarian savages" was a reference to the attitude of certain Southern Greeks towards their Northern compatriots (I am a Northerner). It demonstrates their hypocrisy. These are the riots I described above.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/229750/a...espes-ceremony
    Last edited by Crandar; 06-18-2018 at 18:06.

Blog Entries

I understand now. Thank you.

Member thankful for this post:

I am, why did you think otherwise? The comment about "Bulgarian savages" was a reference to the attitude of certain Southern Greeks towards their Northern compatriots (I am a Northerner).
    Where does the border between the North and the South lie, if I may ask?

Each one has his own criteria, but for me it's Mount Olympus. South of it, there is nothing but dark-skinned barbarians that don't even know how to use the word souvlaki correctly.
    Last edited by Crandar; 06-19-2018 at 09:57.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Each one has his own criteria, but for me it's Mount Olympus. South of it, there is nothing but dark-skinned barbarians that don't even know how to use the word souvlaki correctly.

I know you meant it in jest here Crandar, but I cannot help but feel saddened that after 5 millennia of 'civilization' we still group people based on something as irrelevant as skin tone.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Husar 

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post

I know you meant it in jest here Crandar, but I cannot help but feel saddened that after 5 millennia of 'civilization' we still group people based on something as irrelevant as skin tone.
    B-but muh souvlaki!
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Oh man, PAOK president in international news! Last time was when he stormed in a match carrying a weapon. I'm so proud of him.

So he didn't do any of the alleged perpetrations?

The weapon thing is true, I guess the same applies to this implication also. I doubt his objective was the promotion of Kremlin's interests. He's investing a lot in the region and he doesn't hesitate to meddle in domestic affairs, in order to encourage or force politicians to follow his wishes. My favourite PAOK president since Voulinos and Batman (Batatoudis). By the way, do you support any Ukrainian team, Girlandir? We have played against quite a few since the collapse of the USSR.

I doubt his objective was the promotion of Kremlin's interests.
    He's investing a lot in the region and he doesn't hesitate to meddle in domestic affairs, in order to encourage or force politicians to follow his wishes.
    I believe any trouble in the EU corresponds to the Kremlin's interests.

By the way, do you support any Ukrainian team, Girlandir? We have played against quite a few since the collapse of the USSR.
    Unlike western tradition most Ukrainians support any team playing against others in UEFA tournaments. So do I. But I don't have any favorite Ukrainian team since they are really not Ukrainian judging by the people who play there. Still I'm more predisposed to Dynamo Kiev.

The referendum is a no-go. What's next?
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45699749

Good news, both the Macedonian and the Greek Parliaments approved the agreement. Fun fact: In the latest violence, many Greek Alex Jones used the image of a brown attacker to claim that the incident was provoked by African mercenaries paid by the government. Turns out the guy was a dark-skinned ultra-nationalist from Naoussa, who was immensely triggered at being described as a "negro". Ain't gonna lie, the deliciously salty tears of the far-right are by far the most positive outcome of the compromise.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post

As was mentioned above, those in Devon still view the vermin in Cornwall as a sub-race with their insane approach with cream and jam on scones. I view the Tamar river as demarcating the end of Civilisation.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill