Thread: Giant Blackhole Swallows aStar

Default Giant Blackhole Swallows aStar

"Marshaling a decade’s worth of data from telescopes around the world, scientists have captured new details of a gargantuan black hole feasting on a hapless star, watching as the black hole consumed its prey and burped out a jet of material moving at a significant fraction of the speed of light."

That about sums it up:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-particle-jet/

The scale of the event is just mind boggling: "...20 million solar mass supermassive blackhole..."

Artists concept:

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/spaceimages...hp?id=PIA22355

image details on left side; scroll down for wallpapers
    Last edited by HopAlongBunny; 06-16-2018 at 06:32.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Giant Blackhole Swallows aStar

These things really suck

Members thankful for this post (2):

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

These things really suck
    Only for those poor souls who called that star their own I wonder how long the whole process of consuming that star took? And how long ago it happened...ie. 150 million light years=what, in Earth-time (and how many years at warp speed)?

And holy crap, considering the tremendous power a star has, these black holes are the ultimate Terminator
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 06-16-2018 at 13:28.
    High Plains Drifter

A star has power and yet it is powerless.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Gravity is a harsh mistress.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Members thankful for this post (2):

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Gravity is a harsh mistress.
    But completely even-handed:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...s-right-again/

All yur mass are belong to us!

Ja-mata TosaInu

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Gravity to new recruits:

"I will treat each and every one of you absolutely equally. I will treat you all like shit."

Tom Petty clip = Always loved the song, but now a bit sad after his passing.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken