Thread: Why is this happening?

Member Member Gazza the Lionheart's Avatar

Angry

Im playing as the Byzantines and i've only got a port in Constantinople but the Almohads can still invade provinces from the sea that dont have a port. I thought that there had to be a port in the province for an aquatic assault. Can someone please clear this up for me.
    God must love crazy people, he made so many of them.

you dont need a port to invade from the sea.

you do need a port to evacuate your troops by sea however.

be careful when you invade with the intent of just smashing up a provence and retreating. becuase often the port will get destroyed during the battle for the provence, so in order to retreat by sea you need to rebuild the port which takes quite a few years.

you can still move men into a provence without the port, just cant move them out again by sea.

to prevent another faction invading your lands by sea you have to have ships in the sea zone next to the provence. in order for the ai to attack the provence it must destroy your ship first.

Lord Romulous

Secret Vice
    Sick, Bitter and Twisted.

+3 pervisity +4 cursing +7 to chance of wearing purple pants.

Member Member Lord of the Isles's Avatar

Lord Romulous has it right, but thought I'd add that all that refers to armies. Agents (emissaries, princesses, spies, etc) are different: they need a port in both the starting and destination provinces to move by sea.

Which can be a pain: I remember moving a princess to Malta, then some AI faction invaded and took the Island, destroying the port in the process and never rebuilding it. Result: a stuck princess.

Well, I guess when she became a spinster she could go home?

"You have the insanity... of a manatee."

Wink

She was probly having fun were she was without dad around.
    "talking poo is where I draw the line"-Eric Cartman
    Long live the resistance.

Wasn't Fergie on a mediteranean island when she got busted getting her toes sucked?
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Hey Lord of the Isles

quote:
    "Agents (emissaries, princesses, spies, etc) are different: they need a port in both the starting and destination provinces to move by sea."

I´m at work right now os I can´t check, but I´m almost sure that you´re wrong when it comes to assains - as far as I recall, they can also enter regions without a port

Greets
    Monty

There is another difference: Spies, Princesses, Emissaries and Assasins don´t need ships connecting the two ports, they can move to every port on the map, as far as I know.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I´m at work right now os I can´t check, but I´m almost sure that you´re wrong when it comes to assains - as far as I recall, they can also enter regions without a port
    It's true that assasins and any other special agents can enter provinces without a port, only provided that the provinces are connected by a mutual border. In order for the special agents to move via sea to other provinces, both depart and destination provinces MUSThave a port. You can verify this independently, I have already had this experience on numerous occasions.

Quote[/b] ]Spies, Princesses, Emissaries and Assasins don´t need ships connecting the two ports, they can move to every port on the map,
    That's what i have seen as well. The special agensts just need ports to move via sea and do not need a navy to transport them as troops do.

For troop movements you need a port to embark but you do not need one to disembark.

If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Arrow

Quote[/b] (Gazza the Lionheart @ Jan. 17 2003,03:24)]the Almohads can still invade provinces from the sea that dont have a port.
    Ok here's a possible solution:

1. Build up a reasonably sized defensive army or two in the rear areas to counter sea-borne invasions.

2. Build up your navy and deploy your fleets to attack the Almohad navy.

3. Build coastline defense fleets of fast ships that patrol the coast and deny the enemy landing rights.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

But they can only move from port to port.
    "talking poo is where I draw the line"-Eric Cartman
    Long live the resistance.