Thread: OEM Windows License

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default OEM Windows License

I have an issue with my Windows license - my old laptop broke down on me (the HDD), and the Windows 7 license was pre-installed. I want to reinstall Windows 7, but I can't because of the licence being OEM and unable to be registered on the Microsoft website. OEM is the problem in fact.

ASUS told me they will charge me for the reinstallation... I won't do that.

Any ideas?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Default Re: OEM Windows License

The OEM license key is encoded in the registry and you can recover it with many methods. If you have the original Windows 7 installation, you can reinstall and re-activate it.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

For Windows7, at least, most big brands had their license hard coded into the BIOS. Read up on SLIC(Software License Internal Code) BIOS's if you're interested.

Basically, you just need to lay your hands on an OEM Windows7 install disc and it should be activated as soon as you install it. At least, that's how I remember it- I haven't installed Windows on anything in at least a year.

*cough*cough*LinuxMint*cough*cough*

*Seriously though, if Windows is giving you trouble, check out Mint19- it's pretty sweet.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post

*Seriously though, if Windows is giving you trouble, check out Mint19- it's pretty sweet.
    I did once, and then it always crashed on the login screen, couldn't even enter my password to get in.
    Linux is probably great after you spent two years learning its entire architecture and how to fix everything in the bash or whatever.
    If you just want to click colourful buttons and have a life outside your computer, you can easily get into big trouble.

Tried to set up an Ubuntu machine for my mom, so she could stream some shows every day for ~1 hour. Ran into some problems that I had to manually fix after every restart (WiFi drivers and connection). When I mentioned it to some Linux nerds, they said my fault was to restart a Linux PC...
    Yeah, because for my mom to watch 45 minutes of video a day, we're never going to shut the computer down?!?

I want to like Linux, but it just won't let me.

I tried to run some Linux in virtual machines (tried different distros), but couldn't get any free remote control software to work that would let me access them properly from Windows...

Sorry, I just have to cry every time the topic comes up...

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Basically, you just need to lay your hands on an OEM Windows7 install disc and it should be activated as soon as you install it. At least, that's how I remember it- I haven't installed Windows on anything in at least a year.[/SIZE]
    +1

Just download an iso image and burn it, ensure it's the right edition, architecture, etc: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...nload/windows7

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    I want to like Linux, but it just won't let me.
    I now run Mint on my personal laptop, both of my work laptops and in a VM on my work desktop.... which runs Win10.
    I also have a RaspberryPi 3b that runs Raspbian, which I use when I connect home via VPN and need to access local resources.

I've also put Mint on my wife's laptop and on a laptop for my mom. Basically, as long as Firefox is on it (and it comes preinstalled), they don't notice the difference.

I haven't had a problem I can remember where it would crash or not run stable. If it's been a few years, you might want to try a Mint live image again- a lot has changed. IMO, Mint is truly the "gateway" Linux. Comes with Firefox, LibreOffice, Gimp etc preinstalled. It's something you can install and be up and running in no time. Then, when you're ready, you can start delving more deeply into Linux.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Husar 

Hmm, I have a random Windows 7 original DVD disk at home, I'll give it a try to see if it works!

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Members thankful for this post (2):

USB boot key it is! All I had to do is to manually activate it by phone to Microsoft - solved!

Proud

Been to:

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

For Windows7, at least, most big brands had their license hard coded into the BIOS. Read up on SLIC(Software License Internal Code) BIOS's if you're interested.

Basically, you just need to lay your hands on an OEM Windows7 install disc and it should be activated as soon as you install it. At least, that's how I remember it- I haven't installed Windows on anything in at least a year.

as it happens I have finally made the jump to opensuse tumbleweed on my desktop, now dual-booting with Win7.

been using tumbleweed on my laptop for years - but that was easy because it does little more than act as a web-browser.

so far so good, steam was ridiculously easy, and whitelisted games such as a TW games run perfectly well, as do a great number of other titles.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Windows 7 has been an excellent servant - but as I booted up my old notebook last night, I got the message as well -> Windows 7 will stop being supported in January 2020.

Time to upgrade?

Proud

Been to:

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Windows 7 has been an excellent servant - but as I booted up my old notebook last night, I got the message as well -> Windows 7 will stop being supported in January 2020.

Time to upgrade?
    Well, the upgrade to Windows 10 was free when it come out, probably the best time to have done it. No idea if it still the case.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Csargo 

You have to pay for Windows 10 now - and some offers for Black Friday are quite good.