Thread: In recognition of your services to god...

Is there some sort of bug in the game with the pope giving you bundles of cash? (Not that I really mind it that much. A money bug is a good bug I always say&#33

I never realized that sitting around and making watch towers on the first turn of the game was a service to god. Are these things random? If so I managed to get randomness roll in my favor 3 times in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Is there some sort of bug in the game with the pope giving you bundles of cash? (Not that I really mind it that much. A money bug is a good bug I always say
    I don't think it's a bug. I think that all Crusade capable factions get this 'carrot' for being good little boys and girls. Playing as the English, the HRE and the Italians I received the Papal pennies from heaven. Playing as the Danes (incapable of mounting a Crusade) I did not receive the florin funding.

I don't know what the exact cycle is, but I seemed to receive the gratuitous gift every few years or so -- whether I deserved it (takin' it to the heathens) or not (sitting on my behind).

Slapshooter Senior Member el_slapper's Avatar

I received one as the french, while crushing the brits . Well, I just had accepted peace while waiting for the end of 10-yrs wait to avoid excom I'm not sure I had been a good christian, maybe built 1 church or 2, but mainly kicking Brit's Ass(As France in Early, you don't have the choice). And Brits are crusademakers too.....
    War is not about who is right, only about who is left

Having a point of view upon everything is good
    Having a view upon every point is better

Lord of the Kanto Senior Member ToranagaSama's Avatar

Quote[/b] (Coldstream @ Jan. 16 2003,09:27)]Is there some sort of bug in the game with the pope giving you bundles of cash? (Not that I really mind it that much. A money bug is a good bug I always say&#33

I never realized that sitting around and making watch towers on the first turn of the game was a service to god. Are these things random? If so I managed to get randomness roll in my favor 3 times in a row.
    I believe its connected with Conversion. Drop a few Bishops in a few Orthodox or Muslim provinces and as the Catholic ratio grows the Pope rewards you for the good service of converting the unbelievers

Its a good idea prior to taking a province with a low or non-existant Catholic population to plop a Bishop or two or three...to build up the Catholics. This helps to control rebellions and after successfully attacking the Pope gives a reward.
    In Victory and Defeat there is much honor
    For valor is a gift And those who posses it
    Never know for certain They will have it
    When the next test comes....

The next test is the MedMod 3.14; strive with honor.
    Graphics files and Text files
    Load Graphics 1st, Texts 2nd.

Quote[/b] (ToranagaSama @ Jan. 16 2003,12:08)]
    I believe its connected with Conversion. Drop a few Bishops in a few Orthodox or Muslim provinces and as the Catholic ratio grows the Pope rewards you for the good service of converting the unbelievers
    This may be so, but I've yet to receive a florin when playing as the Danish faction...so I expect that you have to be able to create a Crusade in order to get paid. Converting whole provinces from pagan to catholic has never minted me a dime.

In the first 30 years of my spanish game I must've gotten about 10 gifts. Then after I defeated the moors, none in the last 150 (even though I have converted a large number of moslom provinces all the way up to Egypt). Fortunately I have little need for them as the argicultural infrustructure on the Iberian peninsula has been heavily developed after the murderous islamics were expelled.

Blah and assorted comments Member Foreign Devil's Avatar

I could be wrong, but I think the Pope gives florins to the poorest of the Catholic factions. I base this on the fact that I always recieve this aid in the first several years of the game, before i can get my economy going, and I never see it in later years.

I am pretty sure that the pope contributes to the most pious realm. Once you start waring it is hard to keep your pop as pious as it started. Put priests all over the place at the start and see if you don't get the tithing. Of course, I do think you have to be capable of crusading.

Have you guys played the Patrician mod yet? Hah, it's so damn cool. Since you're the ONLY "Catholic" faction (They had to make your religion Catholic so you'd continue to be subordinate to the Pope aka: Patricians) you get cash all the damn time. Almost every turn a massive treasure chest of dinarii cones your way.

Quote[/b] (y2kBug @ Jan. 16 2003,15:06)]
    This may be so, but I've yet to receive a florin when playing as the Danish faction...so I expect that you have to be able to create a Crusade in order to get paid. Converting whole provinces from pagan to catholic has never minted me a dime.
    I'm playing the Danes (my favorite faction to date) on Expert and have several Bishops in several low catholic and no Catholic provinces, some I've conquered and some I plan to conquer.

The number of Catholics is growing steadily, and the Pope is rewarding me every few turns with 1000 Florins. It's not my habit to launch Crusades and have yet to do so in this Campaign. So, though you do receive a reward upon launching a Crusade, in this situation such is not the case.

The only explanation is the Conversion rate, which appears quite logical.

I've got a great economy going with about 300K in the bank; and I've never been ex-communicated, nor attacked a Catholic province.

It doesn't depend on being able to launch crusades. I got popes gifts playing Polish. I never build any bishops but I got the money from the pope. I also got money in the first time of the campaign, so I think it depends on the money you have.

So, how much money do you have? or need?

I don't know. I never thought about it while playing so I didn't pay attention. Since I could not crusade and used no bishops the money must be the reason.

The money doesn't appear out of thin air, it acturally comes from the Papist treasury, if the Pope doesn't have any spare cash then nobody gets a free hand out.
    Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Senior Member Senior Member Jacque Schtrapp's Avatar

Quote[/b] (eat cold steel @ Jan. 17 2003,11:51)]The money doesn't appear out of thin air, it acturally comes from the Papist treasury, if the Pope doesn't have any spare cash then nobody gets a free hand out.
    Thanks for contributing to the discussion. Now if you or one of your fellows would care to shed a ray of light on the determining factors behind who gets the hand out (if available) we would truly appreciate it.

Quote[/b] (ToranagaSama @ Jan. 16 2003,19:10)]
    Quote[/b] (y2kBug @ Jan. 16 2003,15:06)]
    This may be so, but I've yet to receive a florin when playing as the Danish faction...
    I'm playing the Danes (my favorite faction to date) on Expert and have several Bishops in several low catholic and no Catholic provinces, some I've conquered and some I plan to conquer.

The number of Catholics is growing steadily, and the Pope is rewarding me every few turns with 1000 Florins. -...-

The only explanation is the Conversion rate, which appears quite logical.
    I guess I'm gonna have to work on my piety level. I can't seem to squeak any money outta the pope.

Quote[/b] (Jacque Schtrapp @ Jan. 17 2003,13:04)]
    Quote[/b] (eat cold steel @ Jan. 17 2003,11:51)]The money doesn't appear out of thin air, it acturally comes from the Papist treasury, if the Pope doesn't have any spare cash then nobody gets a free hand out.
    Thanks for contributing to the discussion. Now if you or one of your fellows would care to shed a ray of light on the determining factors behind who gets the hand out (if available) we would truly appreciate it.
    For curiosities sake, I second that request.

Nice to see ya, ECS

As you can notice, now that many of us have gotten used to the game, we're starting to look more deeply at your and your fellow CAers' genius.

Hope you guys are up for provinding some incite.

Which explains why I don't get any cash - I've reduced His Holiness to living in a cold drafty fort on the banks of the Tiber eating cold gruel with half a dozen urban militia for company.

I got it as the English on my first 2 turns and never again. It may be random or it may depend on zeal or any of your theories.

Quote[/b] (Coldstream @ Jan. 16 2003,18:27)]Is there some sort of bug in the game with the pope giving you bundles of cash? (Not that I really mind it that much. A money bug is a good bug I always say&#33

I recieved the cash injections for nearly 12 years in a row.

12,000 Florins for starting my game, how's that for value.

Quote[/b] (Coldstream @ Jan. 16 2003,08:27)](Not that I really mind it that much. A money bug is a good bug I always say&#33
    Unless of coures its a money bug which takes money from you rather than giving
    "talking poo is where I draw the line"-Eric Cartman
    Long live the resistance.

Quote[/b] (Dijeeh @ Jan. 18 2003,03:49)]
    Quote[/b] (Coldstream @ Jan. 16 2003,18:27)]Is there some sort of bug in the game with the pope giving you bundles of cash? (Not that I really mind it that much. A money bug is a good bug I always say&#33

I recieved the cash injections for nearly 12 years in a row.

12,000 Florins for starting my game, how's that for value.
    This type of thing happened to me as the Italians. I kept getting Florins hand over fist from his Royal Popeness.

I thought it was a prgramming error, but I guess not.

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Talking

Keep getting those Papal handouts too. I have just started a game as the English, Early, GA. Trouble is I have done nothing for the spread of the faith. I have not a single bishop into 1130, have only 4 churches, and one chapter house.

AHHH maybe it's becoz I sent in a crusade to take Venice, an excommunicated faction. Hmm the Pope is a bit of a dbl edged sword I guess. nice to have him on your side but you never know when he may backfire on you.

Anyway what is the answer to the question : How can you get more and more Papal handouts ?
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Try to make the pope richer, I would imagine.
    "talking poo is where I draw the line"-Eric Cartman
    Long live the resistance.