Thread: A track of unsure origin

Exclamation A track of unsure origin

Im not someone to point fingers on developers, of any game, since they all do hard work on games we can all enjoy, in this case, in both games wich are free to play.

But I stumbled upon a soundtrack of the game that I´ve heard a thousand times playing as carthage in EB2. The track was used on a video narrating Hannibal´s campaign. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF1zOflXZKY ) the track is at the begining of the video.

Being a track that I allways liked, I began to look for it, directly on youtube, starting for looking in the video´s description.

There, at the very bottom, that the track is "Peak of Atlas" - Omri Lahav.

After some search, I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNVvfBKBKeY

The track I allways heard in EB is also in 0 AD, another game. (And it looks like this guy made the track specifically for the game).

But I also found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-TSMSxL0dY

The same track but in the video description it says "Ancient music, composed by Morgan Casey & Nick Wylie, 0 AD, Prehistoric Music Ireland."

Wich is really suspicious, dont you think?

Default Re: A track of unsure origin

Kyniklos,

I just created an account to say thank you for noticing this issue.
    My name is Omri Lahav, and I indeed created the original track, "Peaks of Atlas" for Wildfire Games' 0 A.D.

This second video is a blatant infringement of copyright.
    I have tried to contact the poster but if it will not be fixed, I will file a copyright claim with YouTube.

I was distressed to find out that EB uses my music without credit, not to me or to 0 A.D.

Hopefully this matter can be resolved quickly.

Thank you again,
    Omri Lahav

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Hello Omri,

the second video isn't published by the EB team. The 0 A.D. team did give us permission to use some of the tracks from their soundtrack and everyone has been credited by the team and are even present in the credits in the game files.
    We were not informed of the specific composers for each track, so at the present moment the credits read at the "Special Thanks" section as follows:

the 0AD Team for allowing the use of some of their soundtracks.
    If you want to be mentioned personally, or even have a website or other contacts next to your name. Do let us know and we will include them of course.
    Last edited by Arjos; 09-04-2018 at 12:47.

Hi Arjos,

Thank you for your quick and kind reply!

The terms for using the 0 A.D. music are to provide specific music credits to both the source ("0 A.D.") and content creator ("Omri Lahav").

Additionally, there's the issue is distributing the music files without sharing their license properly.
    You are re-distributing files that are under CC-BY-SA without putting up the license notice anywhere. The credits could contain this, but the best way to do this would be to put a LICENSE file at the root of the Europa Barbarorum zip, in which you'd list the files that come from 0 A.D. and state that they are created by us and released under CC-BY-SA.
    You can also put it directly in the music folder, the important thing is to keep the files and the license notice available together.

That way, you would explicitly allow your users to use our creation freely, like we intended to, and you would point out the origin of the files, making it easier for everyone to credit us upon subsequent usage.
    This is why sharing the license is an important part of the conditions of use of our music.

As for the YouTube video, we hope to hear from the uploader soon, and hope we don't need to take it down, since it would be a good ad for both your mod and our game!

Thank you in advance and best regards,

Member thankful for this post:

Kull 

EBII Council Senior Member Kull's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OmriLahav View Post
    Hi Arjos,

Thank you for your quick and kind reply!

The terms for using the 0 A.D. music are to provide specific music credits to both the source ("0 A.D.") and content creator ("Omri Lahav").

Additionally, there's the issue is distributing the music files without sharing their license properly.
    You are re-distributing files that are under CC-BY-SA without putting up the license notice anywhere. The credits could contain this, but the best way to do this would be to put a LICENSE file at the root of the Europa Barbarorum zip, in which you'd list the files that come from 0 A.D. and state that they are created by us and released under CC-BY-SA.
    You can also put it directly in the music folder, the important thing is to keep the files and the license notice available together.

That way, you would explicitly allow your users to use our creation freely, like we intended to, and you would point out the origin of the files, making it easier for everyone to credit us upon subsequent usage.
    This is why sharing the license is an important part of the conditions of use of our music.

As for the YouTube video, we hope to hear from the uploader soon, and hope we don't need to take it down, since it would be a good ad for both your mod and our game!

Thank you in advance and best regards,
    @OmriLahav

Hello Omri - Really love your work, and thanks for providing information on how best to convey the license information. Based on your comments above, the following text will be placed in a file called "License.txt" which will be co-located with the music files:

The seven music tracks listed below were created by the "0 AD" game (source) and the listed composer (content creator) and released for use by Europa Barbarorum II under the CC-BY-SA license:

Celtic Pride - Omri Lahav
    Celtica - Omri Lahav
    Juno Protect You - Omri Lahav
    Mediterranean Waves - Omri Lahav
    Peaks of Atlas - Omri Lahav
    The Road Ahead - Omri Lahav
    Valley of the Nile - Omri Lahav & Shlomi Nogay
    Please let us know if this is acceptable, and feel free to suggest any alterations.

Best Regards, Kull
    Last edited by Kull; 09-07-2018 at 17:37.
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

Kull,

Thank you for the kind words - I am happy to hear that my music has found a home in your game!
    I've set aside some time this weekend to play it a bit, looking forward to it :)

As for the phrasing of the note - it can be a little simpler than that, something like:

Music by Omri Lahav, from the game 0 A.D., released under the Creative Commons CC-BY-SA license.
    And then the list of tracks.

Thanks again!
    Omri

Member thankful for this post:

Kull 

EBII Council Senior Member Kull's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OmriLahav View Post
    Kull,

Thank you for the kind words - I am happy to hear that my music has found a home in your game!
    I've set aside some time this weekend to play it a bit, looking forward to it :)

As for the phrasing of the note - it can be a little simpler than that, something like:

Music by Omri Lahav, from the game 0 A.D., released under the Creative Commons CC-BY-SA license.
    And then the list of tracks.

Thanks again!
    Omri
    Thanks Omri, I'll make those changes. Hope you enjoy the mod! Regards, Kull
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"