Thread: Reinforcments

Default Reinforcments

Hi everybody,

So I just initiated a battle with reinforcement but I have difficulty to reinforce. I first set assembly point
    flag on a place on the map. The pointer however is red! I then click on reinforcement button but nothing happens.

Thanks,
    MoKuS.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: Reinforcments

You can only have 16 units per faction on the battle map at any given time, so the reinforcement mechanics are implemented when the units in all your stacks exceed that. Assuming you are running v2.01 of the game, if a battle is to occur in a province that you have more than 16 units in, you should have seen a reinforcement screen before the battle. This allows you to pick the 16 units to start with, and place the excess units into a reinforcement ordering queue. Once inside the battle map, you can place the assembly point on the map, but you won't see a new unit until all men from a current unit leave the map (killed, captured, or fled/withdrawn from the field). Once a current unit is gone, a new unit will move onto the map (it takes a little time for them to walk to the assembly flag), and then they will be available for orders.

The units will arrive in the order they are placed in the reinforcement queue, so you should arrange the queue according to how you think your needs will change during the battle. Missile units withdrawn when they run out of ammo can be replaced by new missile units, more cav to chase down routing enemy, defensive units to stiffen a line against relentless attacks, etc. Just don't put siege units in the queue (or put them at the end if not desired at the start), as they cannot move siege pieces onto the map.

Hope this helps!
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Thanks for explanation. I however have one free spot in the battle. I click the reinforcement button but nothing happen. Should I wait longer?

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Probably yes. After a few seconds, you can usually spot the unit walking towards the edge of the map somewhere near your deployment zone. You will not have control of them until they reach the flag though.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by MoKus View Post
    Thanks for explanation. I however have one free spot in the battle. I click the reinforcement button but nothing happen. Should I wait longer?
    If you have 15 or less units in the field and you click to call reinforcements, they will pop up immediately on the unit list at the bottom of the screen. This way you an check if you'll get something or not. Units literally come out of the map and there is a margin where you can't command units until they get deeper into the map. Placing assembly flag close to the edge of the map is a good strategy to get control of a unit immediately after it leaves that margin zone.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    If you have 15 or less units in the field and you click to call reinforcements, they will pop up immediately on the unit list at the bottom of the screen. This way you an check if you'll get something or not. Units literally come out of the map and there is a margin where you can't command units until they get deeper into the map. Placing assembly flag close to the edge of the map is a good strategy to get control of a unit immediately after it leaves that margin zone.
    I see. But nothing happen when I click on reinforcement button!

I see. But nothing happen when I click on reinforcement button!
    First, are you sure you have more than 16 units in the province you start a battle (not counting artillery)?
    2nd, before you call for reinforcement, make sure at least one entire unit (to the last men) left battlefield. If you're not sure, count units' icons at the bottom of the screen. If less than 16, you're good to go.
    When all conditions are met the reinforcement button will be displayed in color. Otherwise, it'll be grayed out.
    That's all. If it doesn't work, I don't know how to help you.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Thanks for reply. It seems that all conditions for reinforcement are met but I cannot reinforce when I click the button. So something is wrong. Anyway, I resolve such a battle automatically.

Thanks for reply. It seems that all conditions for reinforcement are met but I cannot reinforce when I click the button. So something is wrong. Anyway, I resolve such a battle automatically.
    Your assembly point may be far from the edge of the map, so the reinforcement may take a longish time to get there. If it the assembly point is in the woods or the way to it goes through the woods you may fail to detect it. But as Stazi said, look for the reinforcement unit icon at the bottom of the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

No new icon appears when I click on reinforcement button. That is sad. :(

No new icon appears when I click on reinforcement button. That is sad. :(
    Then the battle roster of 16 units must be full. If it isn't, I have no idea what it can be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

In the first post MoKus made he ( she ? ) , stated the pointer was red when the flag was set. This seems odd as a red pointer usually specifies that the pointer is outside of the battles "playing zone". Has the flag been set "Off Map"?! If so, perhaps this is why the unit fails to arrive...
    Last edited by DEB8; 10-01-2018 at 20:02.

Quote Originally Posted by DEB8 View Post
    In the first post MoKus made he ( she ? ) , stated the pointer was red when the flag was set. This seems odd as a red pointer usually specifies that the pointer is outside of the battles "playing zone". Has the flag been set "Off Map"?! If so, perhaps this is why the unit fails to arrive...
    Yes. The pointer is red wherever I try to set it. What do you mean with question marked blank.

Yes. The pointer is red wherever I try to set it. What do you mean with question marked blank.
    I note the word try. Does that mean you have not been able to move / reset it ?

My question ( marked Blank (sic) in your quote ) was an observation re your comment. When the pointer shows as RED you are generally NOT allowed to click on the Map at that point ( for whatever reason ). Having never tried to place the Reinforcements Flag in the "Red Zone" of the Map, I am uncertain if the game will or will not allow it. If it does, then that is likely to be the source of your problem.

[ NB: The Red Zone referred to here is the area of the map that you are not allowed to move to ( unless Routing or Withdrawing off the board ). It's also the point where your troops will stop chasing enemy units that are Routing or Withdrawing, as those troops can no longer be Rallied by the AI. ]

Is the Reinforcement button "Greyed Out" or Coloured ?
    As advised previously ( by Stazi ), If the former, there are no reinforcements available. If you have more than 16 Troop units in the province, the button should however, be Coloured.

[ As stated by the others previously, a Reinforcement unit cannot enter until one of the original 16 units leaves the Map. Pressing on the Reinforcements Button automatically enters the Reinforcement onto the bottom of the Screen in the Units area, once the on map units are 15 or less. So you wait until the units drop to 15 ( or less ) and then press the Reinforcements button. You can see when the units total drops, as a space appears on the extreme right of the units area. However, the reinforcement may not appear in the obvious vacated slot ( that extreme right hand one ) but is likely to appear amongst the other unit labels ( perchance in the actual slot vacated by the leaving unit ? ). That point certainly confuses me for several seconds whenever I bring a unit on. ]

Hmmm. Late thought - is your reinforcement unit a Siege unit ? These units CANNOT be brought on as Reinforcements ( as DRONE said... ) !
    Last edited by DEB8; 10-02-2018 at 00:23.

I note the word try. Does that mean you have not been able to move / reset it ?
    No. I can set the flag in everyplace on map. The pointer before setting is however red.
    My question ( marked Blank (sic) in your quote ) was an observation re your comment. When the pointer shows as RED you are generally NOT allowed to click on the Map at that point ( for whatever reason ). Having never tried to place the Reinforcements Flag in the "Red Zone" of the Map, I am uncertain if the game will or will not allow it. If it does, then that is likely to be the source of your problem.
    That is strange because the pointer is red yet I can set the flag on everyplace that I want.
    [ NB: The Red Zone referred to here is the area of the map that you are not allowed to move to ( unless Routing or Withdrawing off the board ). It's also the point where your troops will stop chasing enemy units that are Routing or Withdrawing, as those troops can no longer be Rallied by the AI. ]
    I see. I normally click on somewhere in center of map.
    Is the Reinforcement button "Greyed Out" or Coloured ?
    Colored.
    As advised previously ( by Stazi ), If the former, there are no reinforcements available. If you have more than 16 Troop units in the province, the button should however, be Coloured.
    I have more that 16 units in the province. I see that I have free spot in middle of battle. I first set the flag and then click on reinforcement button but nothing happens.
    [ As stated by the others previously, a Reinforcement unit cannot enter until one of the original 16 units leaves the Map. Pressing on the Reinforcements Button automatically enters the Reinforcement onto the bottom of the Screen in the Units area, once the on map units are 15 or less. So you wait until the units drop to 15 ( or less ) and then press the Reinforcements button. You can see when the units total drops, as a space appears on the extreme right of the units area. However, the reinforcement may not appear in the obvious vacated slot ( that extreme right hand one ) but is likely to appear amongst the other unit labels ( perchance in the actual slot vacated by the leaving unit ? ). That point certainly confuses me for several seconds whenever I bring a unit on. ]
    I have free spot yet I cannot reinforce.
    Hmmm. Late thought - is your reinforcement unit a Siege unit ? These units CANNOT be brought on as Reinforcements ( as DRONE said... ) !
    No they are not siege unit.

No. I can set the flag in everyplace on map. The pointer before setting is however red.
    I cannot recall if the pointer before setting is Red or Yellow, but I would think it should be Yellow. I am surprised it sets when the pointer is Red ( but I may be mistaken re this ).

I normally click on somewhere in center of map.
    That is a bad move, as you cannot gain control of the reinforcement until it reaches the flag ! It should be placed between the point it occupies at the start of a battle and the edge of the Map behind your Army. Note the Reinforcement/s will always enter the Map behind the initial Army position ( and usually near the centre of that Map edge ). Generally speaking , if you do not change the initial position of the Army, you don't really need to change the Flag position. If you later march your Army to ( say ) the right hand side of the Map, it becomes sensible to move the Flag towards that side too ( whilst still keeping it behind the Army )...

I first set the flag and then click on reinforcement button but nothing happens.
    It is best ( IMHO ) to reset the flag as soon as the battle commences ( if you wish to move it ) ; rather than at the point the Reinforcement can arrive. Subsequent moves ( if made ) should ( IMHO ) only reflect the Armies moves ( e.g. Left, Right and Forward ).

I have free spot yet I cannot reinforce.
    Hmmm, At this point I still think it's linked to the colour of the pointer. I think this is a "subtle" reminder that you are doing something wrong. I am unsure exactly what though...

No they are not siege unit.
    OK.

I have just reviewed the pointer details ( re moving the Reinforcements "Flag" ).

It is first and foremost a standardish pointer with a few extra "bits". The actual pointer is smaller than normal, and has four Yellow marks above it ( two on each side ), in a design which is the same as the "in battle" command cursor. It also has a small red arrow to the left of the main pointer and below the left hand side Yellow marks. Is this what you have ?

You can indeed place the Flag anywhere on the map ! I suspect therefore, that it is possible to place it inside the "Red Zone" I referred to before - this IMHO may result in units not being able to enter the map ( but I may be wrong )... IMHO you should always avoid placing it too close to the Maps edge ( particularly if it is out of sight of your initial position ).

You say the Reinforcements button is Coloured ( as it should be ) ; however, do you also have the Green writing on the left hand side of the Battle Map ( just above the Unit Information Panels ) ?

[ This gives some information regarding the current standing of your Reinforcements ; listing the total number of units available, the number of units "mustering" towards the "Flag" and the number of units awaiting orders at the "Flag" ( or words to that effect ). By the way, does this list the correct total number of your Reinforcements ? ]

If these items are as they should be and you indeed have less than 16 units on the battlefield, then the first reinforcement units Unit Panel should appear as soon as you click on the reinforcements button. You are clicking on the correct button I presume ? i.e. the one that is on the left of the pair that are on the Top Right ( slightly away from the other top line buttons ) ?

[ Also note that as you appear to be placing the Flag towards the centre of the Map, the Reinforcement unit/s will take a long time to get there... ]

I cannot recall if the pointer before setting is Red or Yellow, but I would think it should be Yellow. I am surprised it sets when the pointer is Red ( but I may be mistaken re this ).
    Yes, I don't understand it either.
    That is a bad move, as you cannot gain control of the reinforcement until it reaches the flag ! It should be placed between the point it occupies at the start of a battle and the edge of the Map behind your Army. Note the Reinforcement/s will always enter the Map behind the initial Army position ( and usually near the centre of that Map edge ). Generally speaking , if you do not change the initial position of the Army, you don't really need to change the Flag position. If you later march your Army to ( say ) the right hand side of the Map, it becomes sensible to move the Flag towards that side too ( whilst still keeping it behind the Army )...
    Thanks for the tip.
    It is best ( IMHO ) to reset the flag as soon as the battle commences ( if you wish to move it ) ; rather than at the point the Reinforcement can arrive. Subsequent moves ( if made ) should ( IMHO ) only reflect the Armies moves ( e.g. Left, Right and Forward ).
    Thanks for the tip.
    Hmmm, At this point I still think it's linked to the colour of the pointer. I think this is a "subtle" reminder that you are doing something wrong. I am unsure exactly what though...
    That is alright for now. I am playing at medium difficulty right now and it is hard for me to win any battle so I most of the time run the battle automatically unless I want to do some practice.

Earlier today I reviewed the pointer details ( etc. ) that I had advised you... My information was not as accurate as it should have been. My abject apologies re this.

It is first and foremost a standardish pointer with a few extra "bits". The actual pointer is smaller than normal, and has four Yellow marks above it ( two on each side ), in a design which is the same as the "in battle" command cursor. It also has a small red arrow to the left of the main pointer and below the left hand side Yellow marks.
    Your pointer should be roughly the same ( in both size and appearance ), irrespective of the battle "screen" you are on, but it is "generally" as described above.

...listing the total number of units available, the number of units "mustering" towards the "Flag" and the number of units awaiting orders at the "Flag" ( or words to that effect ).
    This should read : ...listing the total number of units available, the number of units waiting to be summoned and the number of units assembling.

Sorry about that - poor recall !

...then the first reinforcement units Unit Panel should appear as soon as you click on the reinforcements button.
    This should read : To enter a reinforcement you first need to click on the coloured Reinforcement button and then ( when the new top row of buttons appears ), you click on the "Bring on Reinforcements" button ( once for each unit that you have a "space" for ). This button is sited immediately to the right of the Flag button. Units will then appear in the Unit Panel area.

What can I say re that - OOPS ! Sorry...

Do you have the Green Writing on the left just above the Unit Panels ? Are you attempting to enter your reinforcements as noted above ( or are you just clicking on the first button only ) ?
    Last edited by DEB8; 10-04-2018 at 22:50.

Earlier today I reviewed the pointer details ( etc. ) that I had advised you... My information was not as accurate as it should have been. My abject apologies re this.

Your pointer should be roughly the same ( in both size and appearance ), irrespective of the battle "screen" you are on, but it is "generally" as described above.

This should read : ...listing the total number of units available, the number of units waiting to be summoned and the number of units assembling.

Sorry about that - poor recall !

This should read : To enter a reinforcement you first need to click on the coloured Reinforcement button and then ( when the new top row of buttons appears ), you click on the "Bring on Reinforcements" button ( once for each unit that you have a "space" for ). This button is sited immediately to the right of the Flag button. Units will then appear in the Unit Panel area.

What can I say re that - OOPS ! Sorry...

Do you have the Green Writing on the left just above the Unit Panels ? Are you attempting to enter your reinforcements as noted above ( or are you just clicking on the first button only ) ?
    Thanks. So I should first click on "brings on reinforcement".

Thanks. So I should first click on "brings on reinforcement".
    "To enter a reinforcement you first need to click on the coloured Reinforcement button and then ( when the new top row of buttons appears ), you click on the "Bring on Reinforcements" button ( once for each unit that you have a "space" for )".

"To enter a reinforcement you first need to click on the coloured Reinforcement button and then ( when the new top row of buttons appears ), you click on the "Bring on Reinforcements" button ( once for each unit that you have a "space" for )".
    Thanks for the help.

So, are you getting those Reinforcements now ?