Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which total war game is better?

Default Which total war game is better?

Which total war game has a better AI and gameplay? I bought Shogun 1&2 and Medieval 1&2 in a sale. For now I just played Medieval 1. I am not satisfy with the AI performance in managing their countries. I mostly fight against peasant while I am using Feudal Knight and Sergeant. Easy win in medium difficulty when the battle is auto-resolved. Needles to say that I am having difficultly to win the battle myself. Is the AI good on controlling battle? I think that is in my part who fail to control any battle well.

Default Re: Which total war game is better?

Quote Originally Posted by MoKus View Post
    Which total war game has a better AI and gameplay? I bought Shogun 1&2 and Medieval 1&2 in a sale. For now I just played Medieval 1. I am not satisfy with the AI performance in managing their countries. I mostly fight against peasant while I am using Feudal Knight and Sergeant. Easy win in medium difficulty when the battle is auto-resolved. Needles to say that I am having difficultly to win the battle myself. Is the AI good on controlling battle? I think that is in my part who fail to control any battle well.
    STW 1 has better AI than MTW 1 because it builds fewer bad units. However, in MTW 1 you can hand over management of your building and unit choices to the AI (I forget how) and then you have to use bad units just as often as your enemies do. I never played MTW 2 and STW 2.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

I haven't played any TW games past Shogun II, but up to that point....Shogun I had the best AI, IMO. On Expert setting, it can, and will, kick your a$$ if you make mistakes

The AI strives to create mismatches: swords over spears, spears over cavalry, etc, so if you don't have balanced armies, the AI adapts and you begin to lose battles.

The primary (though not the only) reason the AI was better in Shogun I/Med I was because the map was 2-D (making pathfinding easier), the economy was far simpler than when the game engine was changed in RTW I, and there were far less units to deal with.

Not saying that later games weren't challenging and fun to play, but the original game engine allowed for a more challenging AI opponent, and if you played enough campaigns, you saw every clan have a chance to become Shogun, or at least emerge to challenge you for it. RTW was far too predictable...always the Romans in the western Med and Europe, and the Egyptians in the Middle and Far East. That speaks to imbalanced unit rosters, a lot of which was fixed in some of the great mods done by players.

Bottom line....want a real challenge? Play either of the two Shogun games.
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    I haven't played any TW games past Shogun II, but up to that point....Shogun I had the best AI, IMO. On Expert setting, it can, and will, kick your a$$ if you make mistakes

The AI strives to create mismatches: swords over spears, spears over cavalry, etc, so if you don't have balanced armies, the AI adapts and you begin to lose battles.

The primary (though not the only) reason the AI was better in Shogun I/Med I was because the map was 2-D (making pathfinding easier), the economy was far simpler than when the game engine was changed in RTW I, and there were far less units to deal with.

Not saying that later games weren't challenging and fun to play, but the original game engine allowed for a more challenging AI opponent, and if you played enough campaigns, you saw every clan have a chance to become Shogun, or at least emerge to challenge you for it. RTW was far too predictable...always the Romans in the western Med and Europe, and the Egyptians in the Middle and Far East. That speaks to imbalanced unit rosters, a lot of which was fixed in some of the great mods done by players.

Bottom line....want a real challenge? Play either of the two Shogun games.
    Does AI cheat in extreme difficulty?

There has to be built-in cheats to make the AI more challenging. In Shogun, the cheats are economic...in other words, the strategic map. On the battlefield, it's mano-a-mano.
    High Plains Drifter

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoKus View Post
    Does AI cheat in extreme difficulty?
    Not sure about STW1, but in MTW1 you start with less money the higher the difficulty. There are also battlemap bonuses depending on the difficulty, and battlefield tactics get better the higher you go.
    Easy - your units get +4 morale
    Hard - AI units get a +15% bonus in combat
    Expert - AI units get +4 morale and a +30% bonus in combat

The general consensus in MTW1 is that the best difficulty level is Hard, on Expert enemy units become very difficult to rout and tend to get decimated beyond usefulness and adds to your units valour, which hurts the AI strategically. MTW1 is also fairly easy to tweak with little mods, many players will eliminate peasants and ballista from the build tree, which really helps the AI unit choices.

Vanilla RTW was pretty bad on release, you could exploit the campaign map movement features and the battlemap had issues. Mods definitely improved it. I didn't play enough MTW2 or Shogun2 to be able to comment on them.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

The pre 3d games such as Shogun 1 (2d map) and Medieval 1 (2d map) alongside Shogun 2 (ai cheats hardcore) and Warhammer 2 (ai cheats hardcore). Also these games are the most enjoyable imo, not including mods. If we are counting mods then a nice challenging gameplay in terms of Total War games can also include Rome 1 and Medieval 2.

STW 1

The best mod for the AI is with any dout RTW 1 with darthmod. When I played it was the first time in years that I saw the AI kicking my ass. Just try it
    Then you also have Medieval II total war with mods like Europa Barbarorum II, TATW, etc

I think that STW 1 is better, because it is easier to play, but has fewer options.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Original Medieval TW for me.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

STW/MTW, can't choose between the two..

played most others, not bad, not impressed..

To me the whole TW series cannot be better described than this quote from a poster on another forum:

I thought that the passion CA had for the subject matter was obvious with Shogun, it was like they made a game for themselves and said "hey lets let other people play this." With each release since it's seems more and more about getting the "casual gamer" interested
    Thank you Johnhughthom
    High Plains Drifter

Members thankful for this post (3):

Rome II is one of the most famous Total War game and my favorite.
    But you can go for others also like - Medieval, Shotgun or Empire

Arquebus perhaps, but shotgun?

Just messin' with you, welcome to the ORG
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by heyanil673 View Post
    Very good game for SP buddy, seriously Reluctant Samurai if you haven't tried, do so [as i know you play RTW]. Pretty good - some interesting mods as well..

Haven't played the first two games and the fantasy titles. From the rest:

1. Rome I
    2. Medieval II
    3. Napoleon
    4. Shogun
    5. Attila
    6. Empire
    7. Rome II

Med 2 and Shogun 2 IMHO are places 2 and 3 in my list, behind Medieval TW.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Also... no love for Attila TW?

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Not sure about STW1, but in MTW1 you start with less money the higher the difficulty. There are also battlemap bonuses depending on the difficulty, and battlefield tactics get better the higher you go.
    Easy - your units get +4 morale
    Hard - AI units get a +15% bonus in combat
    Expert - AI units get +4 morale and a +30% bonus in combat

The general consensus in MTW1 is that the best difficulty level is Hard, on Expert enemy units become very difficult to rout and tend to get decimated beyond usefulness and adds to your units valour, which hurts the AI strategically. MTW1 is also fairly easy to tweak with little mods, many players will eliminate peasants and ballista from the build tree, which really helps the AI unit choices.

Vanilla RTW was pretty bad on release, you could exploit the campaign map movement features and the battlemap had issues. Mods definitely improved it. I didn't play enough MTW2 or Shogun2 to be able to comment on them.
    Drone, this has been my exact conclusion as far as MTW1 is concerned. Expert allows you to valor up your units too easily. Hard allows for a near 60% win before the 1231 invasion but your units don't get too much valor to be unrealistic.

Also, I think someone should reassure the OP that playing without the pause key makes the battlefield management heavily favored toward the computer. Playing with the pause key is horrible training for player vs player gaming but it is honestly about three levels of difficulty easier than without. This magnifies when you get more and more units in the game.

One thing to point about Expert is the amount of AI boosts that it gets - which make routing units very hard.

Proud

Been to:

MTW 1 is my favourite vanilla on pair with Shogun 2, then Medieval 2 and Warhammer 2... Rome 2 and STW1 are pretty solid either.

My favourite total war when modded (only modded) is Medieval 2 and at second place Rome 1, with mods.

MTW1 is still so good and fresh, I want to mod this game and make the ultimate mod for MTW, even better than the already great XL, Wes mod and BKB Super mod

Solid choice with the XL Mod / BKB Super Mod, it turns MTW into a very good game into an excellent game.

I'll always have a soft spot for the first one, Shogun (+expansions) as it near perfectly created that very interesting period of Japanese history in a format us 'westerners' could enjoy and get into.

Having said that i will mostly want to be playing the first Medieval Total War game (plus mods, probably BKB Super mod the most) as culturally it is something i completely understand and enjoy the history off. I've just started replaying it after finally getting it to work on a modern system! :D
    Last edited by Carac Caratacus; 05-29-2020 at 10:55.

Members thankful for this post (3):

+1 on what Carac said.

I do wish TW would remaster the old ones to be honest.

Proud

Been to:

Member thankful for this post:

Csargo 

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Weeeellll...... due to tech limits here, I've only been able to play STW(1), MTW:VI and RTW(1). If I was to say MTW wins hands down because of the available mods... that actually WORK .... I might seem a bit self-serving, but yeah, that's still my favourite. RTW is a bit arcadey for my taste, but I do still give it the occasional whirl, and Europa Barbarorum is exquisite (even though it kills my machine). And good old vanilla STW still has enough mileage left in it that twenty-odd years later or so, I'm still finding new ways to play it. One day I'll get a machine that will handle the later titles, but for now, I've got enough on my hands with those three titles plus mods...
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

The best mod for the AI is with any dout RTW 1 with darthmod. When I played it was the first time in years that I saw the AI kicking my ass. Just try it

The best mod for the AI is with any dout RTW 1 with darthmod.
    teatv apk

download apk
    Last edited by peedahai; 05-18-2023 at 13:08.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast