Thread: How to move the whole army given a specific formation?

Default How to move the whole army given a specific formation?

So I give specific formation to my army but formation changes when I move the whole. Is there anyway to keep the formation?

Default Re: How to move the whole army given a specific formation?

Quote Originally Posted by MoKus View Post
    So I give specific formation to my army but formation changes when I move the whole. Is there anyway to keep the formation?
    AFAIK, only units can have some formation, not the army. There is a button "hold formation" at the top of the screen, if you are speaking about units.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

You can not only move the whole army in a formation but even rotate it around a chosen point, make it run or charge an masse. It's all about ctrl, alt and right mouse button but I haven't played MTW in a long time so I don't remember the exact combination. I strongly recommend to do the tutorial. IIRC it explains the whole thing really nicely.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

If memory serves, you can create unit groupings by holding the CTRL button, then clicking on individual units, and then pressing G. Groupings will be numbered, so you can select a group by simply selecting their number. You deselect the group by reversing the process. This is handy for bridge defenses, for example, when you want all of your archers/guns to fire at once.

CTRL+A selects the entire army. Depending on the army size and the type of terrain you are moving through, moving the entire army, in formation, has its' pluses and minuses. On flat terrain, the command works fairly well, but...cavalry will reach its position before the infantry, perhaps leaving them exposed...

It's usually a better idea to create several groups, and guide them across the battlefield to their destination. If conditions change, it's easy to break a grouping apart, and retask units as needed.

Right-click, hold + drag rotates selected units to the desired direction.
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 10-20-2018 at 15:21.
    High Plains Drifter

Thanks for your replies. My question was about how I can keep formation of my army when I move them.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

CTRL+A selects the entire army...then right-click/hold + drag (from left to right, IIRC...right to left reverses facing, although I might have those backwards).

I don't remember if the ALT + click works for the entire army like it does for a single unit (unit(s) march to designated spot that you clicked, facing the same direction...
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 10-21-2018 at 07:43.
    High Plains Drifter

My question was about how I can keep formation of my army when I move them.
    You don't...

- A

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    You don't...

- A
    Incorrect ( unless you mean "whilst moving" ).

I am surprised at the answers given here so far...

1. Right click on a unit and in the menu that appears choose select all units / Press Ctrl and A together.
    2. Click on the create Group icon ( top left ) / press the G button.
    3. Select ( mentally ) a point on the map for the revised position of the centre of your Army.
    4. Press Alt and left click on that point.
    5. Your army moves and maintains its current Formation upon arrival.

The Manual lists 4. above to move a unit and maintain its facing at it's destination. When combined with the Group order and Selecting All Units, this keeps the entire army in formation and facing correctly. I learnt this during my first ever game...

[ Care : This works well for moving forward and/or sideways, as well as directly backwards - but do not attempt to move Backwards and Sideways, as you may well end up facing
    backwards with your left hand flank now on your right ( as initially viewed ) and vice versa ! ]
    Last edited by DEB8; 10-21-2018 at 17:39.

Quote Originally Posted by DEB8 View Post
    Incorrect ( unless you mean "whilst moving" ).

I am surprised at the answers given here so far...

1. Right click on a unit and in the menu that appears choose select all units / Press Ctrl and A together.
    2. Click on the create Group icon ( top left ) / press the G button.
    3. Select ( mentally ) a point on the map for the revised position of the centre of your Army.
    4. Press Alt and left click on that point.
    5. Your army moves and maintains its current Formation upon arrival.

The Manual lists 4. above to move a unit and maintain its facing at it's destination. When combined with the Group order and Selecting All Units, this keeps the entire army in formation and facing correctly. I learnt this during my first ever game...

[ Care : This works well for moving forward and/or sideways, as well as directly backwards - but do not attempt to move Backwards and Sideways, as you may well end up facing
    backwards with your left hand flank now on your right ( as initially viewed ) and vice versa ! ]
    Thanks for your post. Alt and left click does the job.

Quote Originally Posted by DEB8 View Post
    ... "whilst moving" ...
    Was exactly what I had in mind here... After all, the question was - "how I can keep formation of my army when I move them." The details beyond that - I really don't know and I don't care. I don't use such stuff myself... I do all formations manually, "on the fly" and based upon the relevant terrain at hand. That's just the way I roll... Besides, fixed, predetermined formations won't/can't adapt, which is a weakness (I think)...

- A

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    Was exactly what I had in mind here... After all, the question was - "how I can keep formation of my army when I move them." The details beyond that - I really don't know and I don't care.
    As I suspected then...

I don't use such stuff myself... I do all formations manually, "on the fly" and based upon the relevant terrain at hand. That's just the way I roll...
    Me too ; but only before I click to start a defensive battle or immediately after clicking to start an attacking one ( with a pause to assist of course ).
    Maintaining those formations during a battle (whilst advancing ) is much too difficult to do all by myself ( manually ) !
    You meanwhile, evidently like making life difficult for yourself I presume...? Each to his / her own.

Besides, fixed, predetermined formations won't/can't adapt, which is a weakness (I think)...
    Generally speaking, I agree. I just pick the one that's nearest to what I want, and then doctor it to suit myself. I would have thought most good "generals" ( players ) would do that...