Thread: How to rotate an army given a specific formation?

Default How to rotate an army given a specific formation?

Is there a way to rotate an army?

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default Re: How to rotate an army given a specific formation?

Unless you are on flat terrain, and your army formation isn't too wide, it's not a good idea to rotate an entire army. If you are defending, you get to place your units, anyway, so barring a mistake in set-up, you shouldn't need to rotate.

The confusion and loss of unit formation while an entire army changes direction is a recipe for disaster. If you are in difficult terrain with impassible tiles, your units may never even get to where you want them to go, or get hung up trying to by-pass an obstacle.

As I mentioned before, to move an entire army, CTRL + A, then Right-click and hold, then draw out using the cursor where you want the army to move.

You cannot use the process well-put by DEB8 because when using that method, your army will arrive at the target location facing the same direction. AFAIK, you have to use the click/hold and draw method to rotate.
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 10-22-2018 at 14:43.
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    You cannot use the process well-put by DEB8 because when using that method, your army will arrive at the target location facing the same direction. AFAIK, you have to use the click/hold and draw method to rotate.
    Actually you can, just don't use the Alt key when clicking on the map ; and whatever you do, do NOT click anywhere backwards of your Armies central point...

[ I tend to use this a lot to revise my armies initial defensive position ( when defending ). It can be used several times to create the correct revised angle ( and also mixed with an initial Alt based move to adjust your position in an Assault attack ). ]

Further to my previous post - if you want to move backwards and rotate ( or rotate and move backwards ), it's best ( IMHO ), to do a forward rotate first and an "Alt" formation move backwards second ; but always ensure the backwards move point is roughly ( 180° ) behind the centre of your army or you could end up with the Flanks switching and maybe actually facing backwards...
    Last edited by DEB8; 10-22-2018 at 22:14.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Point taken, still...it's just easier, and one is less likely to make a mistake, to right-click/hold, then draw out where you want everyone to go. You can press the spacebar, even while the move is in progress, to check the final position
    High Plains Drifter

For some reason, I have never had much luck with that method with a group of units ( particularly in Woods ... ), so I tend to avoid it.
    Each to his own.