Thread: How do you use Jinetes?

Default How do you use Jinetes?

So I read that Spanish Jinetes are invaluable. I gave them a try but I didn't get a wonderful result so I was wondering how do you use them?

Default Re: How do you use Jinetes?

Personally I don't like them (as any other javelin units) either. Or I never learnt to use them properly. By the book, you should pin the enemy's unit by your spears and let the jinets throw their javelins over your spears' heads. Or you can move them from behind the pinned unit and do the throwing. They are purported to be best against armored targets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Personally I don't like them (as any other javelin units) either. Or I never learnt to use them properly.
    Me neither. There's too much effort involved here ( given their effective range is so limited ), even with using the pause button. Horse Archers are difficult enough ( for me ).
    Jinetes can put up a good defense in a cavalry melee though...

[ Edit - "Jinetes can put up a good defense in a cavalry melee though..." - Particularly when they have armour bonuses ! ]
    Last edited by DEB8; 10-22-2018 at 22:25.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

They have to be micromanaged, but they do work well when properly used. Like any javelin unit, you have to take them out of skirmish mode or they won't fire a shot (the javelin range is right on the edge of skirmish-move range). But if you can get Jinetes behind an engaged heavy cav unit you can do a lot of damage. Javelins are armour piercing, and do multiple hp of damage. You only get 4 volleys, but they can do a number on a general's unit (and the general). You can also use them to draw units out of formation, they are faster than most cav and you can lead enemy knights on a merry chase to tire them out and disrupt a formation.

I don't really like javelin units either, but they can be used with effect (and Jinetes are better since they are more mobile). Try an Irish VI campaign if you want to force yourself to use javelins...
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Try an Irish VI campaign if you want to force yourself to use javelins...
    I would suggest you try a battle with them before you commit to a campaign...

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DEB8 View Post
    I would suggest you try a battle with them before you commit to a campaign...
    But where's the fun in that?
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Try an Irish VI campaign if you want to force yourself to use javelins...
    I would paraphrase: try an Irish VI campaign WITHOUT using javelins. I did. It's not that hard since Irish are isolated from other factions on their island, so you can tech up without any imminent threat. Just push the Scots from Ulster into the sea and take your time. Then operate with armored spearmen, gallowglasses and lots of mercenaries (especially archers).
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    I would paraphrase: try an Irish VI campaign WITHOUT using javelins. I did. It's not that hard since Irish are isolated from other factions on their island, so you can tech up without any imminent threat. Just push the Scots from Ulster into the sea and take your time. Then operate with armored spearmen, gallowglasses and lots of mercenaries (especially archers).
    That's certainly ( roughly ) what I would do...

Javelins - Uggh !

Member thankful for this post:

But where's the fun in that?
    It depends on if you want to win or not I guess...