Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worth It?

Default Worth It?

Maybe i'm missing it but I don't see anything posted on this game recently. Steam is not kind to this game as far as ratings so i'm hesitant. I'm certainly not a good gamer at this point nor as demanding, but is it fun and relatively free of bugs? is it playable and has flavor?
    TIA for any answers.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Re: Worth It?

It's a weird game.

On one hand, the UI / graphics / UX is superb, it's one of the best out there. It's gorgeous and the Viking Age themes go in perfectly.

On the other hand, the game lacks detail - and this was done on purpose. It's very streamlined and the campaigns are not that fun because of limited food resources that are used by armies.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Member thankful for this post:

Csargo 

Thank you Edy, that's what the reviews do warn of. I think I will steer clear. Too bad they messed it up. Hoping this next one based in Chinese history won't be that way. Hoping they aren't doing that to the franchise.
    Take care.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

I'd agree with edyz, I like the style of the game, but the actual gameplay is a bit bland and annoying imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Thanks Csargo, will def pass on this one, what a shame too.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dimeola View Post
    Thanks Csargo, will def pass on this one, what a shame too.
    Yeah, I was pretty excited for this one, because I really enjoy the period/etc. and was sadly disappointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Might have to go back to previous games now.

Travelling Knight Content Manager Nigel's Avatar

Do you guys think that mods can adress this?

Not that I am a modder and could contribute to it. But just wondering if mods may come out over time, that change the gameplay to be more like the previous titles (I am having a lot of fun with Attila at the moment).

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lot's of aspects I like to it. For example, just seeing your name evolve was an awesome feature. The idea you are making something greater. But there are things I dislike about it as well.

But in all things like this, wait for the sale. Christmas one is only just around the corner.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Don't buy it.
    To add to what edyzmedieval said, the game is repetitive (so you will quickly get bored to it, unless you are a huge Viking fan) and the campaign aspect is unprecedentedly streamlined. It makes Rome II look like the 4d chess Donald just played in France.

I'm not exaggerating, when I am saying that all the thinking required in building your empire is limited to match the colours: yellow with yellow, red with red and etc. Old bugs persist, although many enjoy watching Viking sailors jump to their death, when their drekar finally managed to reach the land, after pointlessly running around in circles.

An ex-CA employee's review about throb:

lol, sounds bad indeed. Will wait for a good sale then give it a go...thanks guys.

It's not a bad game - it's just streamlined and not really that much of a Total War to be honest. Resembles a Paradox game by now quite a lot.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Thx Ed,
    I think thats been a trend the last decade of games being simplified and dumbed down. They think they're going where the money is I guess.
    Take care

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

To me it felt shallow. It was pretty, but I ultimately didnt find the campaign very exciting. Which was a huge bummer. Not having religion was dumb too IMO. And I agree about it being dumbed down, Im afraid the next game will follow suit.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I was looking for it on sale over Thanksgiving but they never did. No religion? Really? That was a huge driving force. I would have gotten it just for the subject but think I will just keep moving. I have been really looking forward to the next one on Chinese history but I dont trust them anymore so will pass on that one as well. I feel like they are missing the point. Thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Not having religion was dumb too IMO.
    Or was it an acknowledgement of the reality of the time? Norse Pagans who settled in Christian areas were Christianized in at most 2 generations. So religious conflict is going to be almost a non issue. The viking period of the early middle ages was not the era of religiously fueled wars and civil conflicts (and TW games are VERY bad at modeling civil conflicts). Plus the removal of agents makes the religious game a non starter anyway.

OT: This game always came off to me as an experiment. An experiment
    I was willing to participate in. Still am if they produce more content.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Hmm, is on sale. Are the battles good? Could get it just for the battles.

Same with Attila. They are not atrocious, but the same bugs persist. Ships will cruise aimlessly in the sea and their marines will often jump to their death.

Maybe they played elevator music onboard. Or they decreed no more cookies. Or maybe they outlawed the wearing of fuzzy slippers. Or maybe the company has not prioritised that quality control edge that produces a super game. has it become so difficult to make a good game? I know its tough co-ordinating due dates and getting it done and polished without having to delay it. And maybe their sales justify what theyre doing. They are strong enough to accept that tradeoff. I ended up buying Assassin's Creed Odyssey thanks to my lil brothers reccomendation. It is a gorgeous game visually. I havent had alot of time to play but so far its very well made. I do hold an interest tho in the Pagan Norsemen crashing into the Isles.

The issue is that there is no need to change a successful formula. The quality has declined, but pre-order culture continues to run amok, while the sales are increasing. Unless the consumers get organised and learn to defend their interests, I wouldn't expect any dramatic amelioration. Glad you liked AC. I guess they improved a bit, after the disaster of the French Revolution.

To be honest, I am tempted to replay the campaign that I have not finished with Wales. At least for some fun and games to see how the core gameplay develops in the final part of the game. Might be different overall.

Plus, new updates!

Proud

Been to:

I gave it a shot again - it's noticeably better. The game finally has some more oomph to it, the campaign map is slightly more engaging (I have a fight on my hands) and the improved UI (already very good) is a joy.

Some bugs tho.

Proud

Been to:

Autocrat Member Vlad The Impaler's Avatar

I'll try my luck even if this game dodged a lot of criticism.

I am back to Total War series after a hiatus that started some months after Shogun II (beautifully crafted game), about 2012 or 2013. I started in 2000s with Shogun so I'll try every title of the franchise I skipped these years.
    Tough Times Don't Last. Tough People Do. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. [Mark Twain]

Shogun 2 was a masterpiece, so was the original to be fair.

Try ToB now, it's better.

Autocrat Member Vlad The Impaler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xantan View Post
    Shogun 2 was a masterpiece, so was the original to be fair.

Try ToB now, it's better.
    I like it, it gives a grim feel according with the respective times and I like you struggle with basic things like food. It was indeed a problem back than and I like this sort of realism touch.

With Shogun 2, I had the feeling the company did that game out of respect for the original title, one almost didn't need the mods to make it nicer.

Now I am looking to the new video with Three Kingdoms and it is astonishing.
    Tough Times Don't Last. Tough People Do. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. [Mark Twain]

To be fair with you, Shogun 2 TW Multiplayer is the only multiplayer in any TW game I played extensively. I loved the avatar map and the avatar leveling up, it was fantastic. And the battles were great, especially FOTS against normal unit.

Proud

Been to:

After the last update I found it to be a great game.

Csargo 

In fact the update did bring a lot of flavour to the game and it's starting to be enjoyable!

Proud

Been to:

Csargo 

One of the things that's making things difficult is the victory conditions - getting vassals now is much harder, and in order to do Fame victories you have to betray your allies to get some specific areas. Gwinedd is a good example.

Proud

Been to:

Finally! I finally finished a campaign, with Gwynedd, conquering both Powys and Selswig (the 2 other Welsh kingdoms). It wasn't that hard, and once you get your food supplies running you're more or less done.

Proud

Been to:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast