Thread: Prologue - Should I beat the Senate?

Default How to beat a Rome?

Hello everyone,

I guess this question has already been asked on this forum many times, but I couldn't find it. I don't know where to put my question, so if I made a mistake, please move it to the appropriate thread. I know it will be a funny question for serie Veterans, but I started playing Total War a few days ago.
    I don't know how to achieve the campaign goal - get a Rome.

It is about 295 BC. Suddenly a message appears that Octavian August will be born in about 200 years. The number of turns to win Rome is 0. But sometimes it was less (for example -4) and I could play. I will be extremely grateful for your answer!

P.S. Sorry for my English. ;)
    Last edited by Ulpian; 11-08-2018 at 11:57.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default Re: How to beat a Rome?

IIRC, the Prologue is for practice and there is no win or loss

Just start a full or short campaign, which starts in 270BCE, with any playable faction. You can edit the game file as described here:

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...k-all-factions

...and welcome to The ORG
    High Plains Drifter

Member thankful for this post:

Ulpian 

Thank you so much for your advice! Let the gods bless you! :)

Member Member magnificent walrus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    IIRC, the Prologue is for practice and there is no win or loss

Just start a full or short campaign, which starts in 270BCE, with any playable faction. You can edit the game file as described here:

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...k-all-factions

...and welcome to The ORG
    That is false, you can win or lose the prologue. But you're right in that the advisor will tell you very early on that you can simply quit the prologue campaign and start the imperial campaign now that you've learned the basics. You don't need to continue and win the prologue campaign to start with a Roman faction but if you want to skip the requirement to win the imperial campaign with a Roman faction once to unlock the other factions, you do need to edit either your preferences or a data file as described in the above link.

The in-game text incorrectly states that you need 50 provinces including Rome to win the prologue campaign, but that can't be true because there are 12 provinces in the whole map (The reason for the mistake is that it was copied from the long imperial campaign victory conditions.). But the number of remaining years to win the campaign that you see in the faction summary scroll after the above-mentioned incorrect victory conditions is true. If that number becomes 0 years, then because there are two turns in a year, you have only that turn and the next turn left. After that, after ending your turn and other factions playing their turns, a message pops up informing you that you failed the victory conditions and the only button provided takes you to the main menu.

The prologue campaign victory conditions seem to include taking all 12 settlements. So, you need to load an earlier save and conquer the whole map before time runs out if you want to win the prologue campaign.

Although this will be historically inaccurate for the prologue :D, you need to attack and conquer the other Romans to win the campaign. The mechanics for breaking your alliances with the other Roman factions seem to be copied from the imperial campaign. In the senate tab of the overviews scroll, you will see your standings with the Senate and the people. When your standing with the people gets high enough, which typically happens when you capture a lot of settlements, a message titled "a chance for power" may pop up meaning that you can attack the other Romans now. You can try attacking them at any time but if your standing with the people isn't high enough when it asks you to confirm that you want to declare war by attacking, you will not be able to select the tick button. If you do attack another Roman faction, however, all the other Roman factions will declare war on you, too.

You most probably moved on to the imperial campaign so I wrote this for future visitors. By the way, I doubt most veterans knew about these because most people seem to move on to the imperial campaign as soon as possible. Even if you had asked a simple question, it would be most welcome on the forums and people would try to be helpful instead of finding your question funny. :)