Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YouTube History Channels

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default YouTube History Channels

I thought this might be useful to point out, since a lot of us watch YouTube lately. There's plenty to look at, on all periods.

Check out Kings and Generals:

Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: YouTube History Channels

Look at The Great War channel, dedicated to the First World War for the past 4 and a half years. The show has been very popular on YouTube so check it out.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

The_Chieftain, history concentrating mainly on tanks. His Inside the Hatch series, aka Does He Fit, has revolutionised how tanks are seen, as did his lecture on Myths of American Armor. Operation Think Tank is highly enjoyable as well. "Drive me closer. I want to hit them with my sword."

TIK. Concentrates on the more obscure aspects of WW2, and actively encouraging revisionism as a way of re-examining the historical evidence. His recently posted re-examination of Dan Pienaar during Crusader, in response to a critic's belittling of his knowledge on the subject, is a masterpiece of historiography.

Also look at Military History (not) Visualized, which are two channels, Visualized and not Visualized. Extremely informative if you're already versed in the subject, but extremely dry if you don't already know a fair bit.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

A wealth of good docu's on youtube, there is always something to watch. Also a lot of arthouse movies that nobody bought

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

World War 2 - each week.

Proud

Been to:

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Historia Civilis.

Their video on the Roman Pomerium was fascinating.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

I am a bit disappointed with Word War 2. The show is good, but not as great as WWI. I wonder why Indy left WWI so prematurely.

Quote Originally Posted by Crandar View Post
    I am a bit disappointed with Word War 2. The show is good, but not as great as WWI. I wonder why Indy left WWI so prematurely.
    Contract IIRC. TGW is basically finished except for the extra epilogue content.

I've seen all of WWT so far but only ever a fraction of TGW. What's the complaint? Is it the absence of ancillary subject videos?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

According to their statements, they will still regularly upload videos, on a monthly basis. I get it that he had other projects in mind, but his sudden departure left me quite disappointed, as he was a really talented commentator. The absence of the ancillary videos is indeed a bit of an issue, although, even in TGW, they were overly focused on the western front. However, my biggest complaint concerns a certain lack of professionalism. WWII is a more controversial conflict than WWI, but his vocabulary, selective reporting and outright cheering for some factions makes me suspect that he is either biased or his sources depend excessively on the revisionist Eastern European historiography. It's not terrible, but not as high as the exceptional standards of TGW, whose only weakness concerned the one-sided description of the Armenian Genocide.

TGW was a project undertaken over many years, and the difference in quality clearly shows between the first episodes and let's say, season 3. There's clearly a development of the whole process and it's quite impressive to see how they developed from a small project to something with quite a number of followers.

Given Indy's passion for this, I hope WW2 will be the same.

Proud

Been to:

Baz Battles is also very good.

Proud

Been to:

Proud

Been to:

Korean War documentaries:

The Battle of the Imjin River:

Wooooo!!!

Proud

Been to:

Proud

Been to:

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Last edited by Beskar; 04-21-2019 at 14:01.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Operation Barbarossa, From the classic series of WWII documentaries Battlefield [british production], narrated by Tim Piggot Smith - it outlines the context, the leaders, the weapons, the men, strategic situation and finally the battles and outcome:

Proud

Been to:

Proud

Been to:

For a while I hadn't had any theory of why, during the interwar period, Communists and Marxists were so ready to undermine social democrats in favor of fascists. Obviously we have hindsight in our stock, but it always seemed obviously counterproductive, malignantly so.

The Great War channel specials for 1919 this year have apprised me of certain facts, notably that Social Democratic parties throughout Europe after the armistice were very active in deploying or allying with police, military, and proto-fascist paramilitary force against Communist political organizing (i.e. killing Commies). With that in mind a certain degree of bad blood in the following years becomes comprehensible, at least...
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    For a while I hadn't had any theory of why, during the interwar period, Communists and Marxists were so ready to undermine social democrats in favor of fascists. Obviously we have hindsight in our stock, but it always seemed obviously counterproductive, malignantly so.

The Great War channel specials for 1919 this year have apprised me of certain facts, notably that Social Democratic parties throughout Europe after the armistice were very active in deploying or allying with police, military, and proto-fascist paramilitary force against Communist political organizing (i.e. killing Commies). With that in mind a certain degree of bad blood in the following years becomes comprehensible, at least...
    I do appreciate this - they continued the project. And as you've mentioned, they are tackling some important issues that receive little coverage overall. I am following some of their recent episodes and it's quite fascinating to understand the Interwar period.

Proud

Been to:

Post-1918 German history is conveniently ignored, when it comes to discuss the links between the two extremes. In revolutionary Germany, the Social-Democrats openly collaborated with far-right militias, which they treated very leniently, when they attempted to usurp the power, in comparison to the Communist revolutionaries. My newspaper published a weekly history of the affair, full of citations, explaining the collaboration between Social-Democrats, far-right thugs, mainstream conservatives and the industrial elite. In Italy, fascism achieved his goal in a very similar manner, after it succeeded in crushing the strikes, despite the previous, dismal failure of the strikes. Inter-war history can teach us a very valuable lesson about why and how fascism and its offshoots can defeat democracy.

Nazis high on meth..?

Proud

Been to:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast