Thread: Swordsmen Bonus Against Spears

Default Swordsmen Bonus Against Spears

Does the swordsmen bonus against spear units apply to units that are not "proper" swordsmen, but fight with swords? So for example, do handgunners or archers who are engaged in melee with a spear unit get the same +1 bonus as feudal men at arms?

Thanks in advance.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: Swordsmen Bonus Against Spears

There is no column in the unit prod file for the sword v. spear bonus like there is with the anti-cav bonuses. If I remember correctly the sword bonus was hard-coded in for the RPS effect, so my guess would be any unit that has SWORD in the melee type column (SWORD/SPEAR/AXE/CLUB choices) would get it against a unit with SPEAR.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

drone,

Yeah, everything you said makes sense and is probably how it works. But it does make me wonder, most cav units use swords according to the unit file, so do they get the +1 as well? Or are is there a hard coded exemption for cav units using swords?

Its hard-coded, as drone says, its a hidden bonus in attack/defence..

it was given with the first patch iirc, as spears [with the rank bonuses] were dominating the game - there was no Rock/Paper/Scissors RPS gameplay {spears beat cav, cav beats swords, swords beat spears}.. hence the hidden bonus that gave swords an edge..

btw after this, spears were - in mp anyway - made redundant..
    Last edited by Goalum; 01-23-2019 at 16:58. Reason: lol

Supposedly the sword vs spear bonus only applies when the spear unit has rank bonuses, which fits with Gallum's comment about the spears being OP with a rank bonus. See post 5 in the thread referenced below.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...ords+vs+spears
    Last edited by Brandy Blue; 01-24-2019 at 06:21.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

Members thankful for this post (3):

Thanks for the link BB, interesting thread..

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

I have no memory of that thread whatsoever, thanks for digging that up!
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

lol. If you've read the thread you know I was one confused noob.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy Blue View Post
    lol. If you've read the thread you know I was one confused noob.
    should have seen me back in the old .com forums - spring 2006 BB..

it was there that i 'met' caravel [back then caravellini]..

caravel, if you are reading this.. come back..