Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fragony

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Fragony

So it has come to my attention this morning that Fragony has passed away.

I had the opportunity to meet with him in his home town of Amersfoort back in 2015 and he showed me nothing but kindness and hospitality.

He was a very active user on these forums and he will be surely missed.

Rest in peace Frags.

On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Members thankful for this post (11):

+ Show/Hide List

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Re: Fragony

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    So it has come to my attention this morning that Fragony has passed away.

I had the opportunity to meet with him in his home town of Amersfoort back in 2015 and he showed me nothing but kindness and hospitality.

He was a very active user on these forums and he will be surely missed.

Rest in peace Frags.

Good God?!?!! This sounds untimely...

I will miss him. He had a nattering charm that was part of the culture here.

Rest in Peace.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Member thankful for this post:

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Ashes to ashes
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Wow, I'm shocked. Almost never agreed with him, but that doesn't mean I didn't wish him well.

Very sad indeed.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

very sorry to hear it.
    rest in peace.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Members thankful for this post (2):

How terrible, he was young. My sympathies to his friends and family, despite our differences he had a strong personality. Absolutely awful to hear.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Rest in Peace Fragony.

Rarely did I agree with you, yet I always believed your heart was in the right place.

"If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Really sad to hear that. He was always exceptional at remaining civil and calm during any political debate. Rest in peace, Fragony.

Rest in peace and i hope all is better for you where ever you are and i pray you are smiling to us from there. Too many Orgah´s have been taken too early, too young: Tosainu, HoreTore and now Frag´s. Ive said it before and say it again.I always thought you had a big heart, while many of your opinions i could not agree with, but then opinions are opinions and actions are what counts.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Members thankful for this post (5):

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fragony was most certainly a controversial character on the Org, a kind hearted person with some political contradictations which could mask this side of him. As an example, he could make it clear his view of immigration from the east but that didn't stop him from offering to share his home to a Syrian Refugee who was desperate and in a crisis.

I hope you find the peace you sought in life.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Members thankful for this post (6):

Blog Entries

I am cut to the bone with such heartbreaking news.

Damnit frags, I'll miss you.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 01-30-2019 at 23:48.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

I didn't agree with Fragony on anything but I always enjoyed his posting style and I thought he would have made a really good talk radio host. It's a tragedy he passed away so young.

Rest in Peace.

It is sad to see that there are so few to remember him, but then that is not so much about Frags, but about the Org. I would be lot more happy about witnessing starts of new things, then coming of end for old things, but that is the way of world. Nothing stays the same, but the comforting thing is that nothing really ends either.

I dont pretend to have been the best friend of Frags, or anything like that. Apart Org. He was my facebook friend, i never met him, so i think best word would be acquaintance. Still he was 41 turning 42 if im right.I turned 40 just couple months a go and maybe it is because my own selfish point of view his passing hits home for me maybe more then it should? I dont know, but when i look at the social media and see hundreds of comments and myriad likes for someone posting pictures of her tits or arse and only few people saying anything when one life ends it just feels wrong.Maybe i am old or stupid or combination of both, but to me that just feel wrong. Bas died,i dont know how or why, but he is gone and that is it.

Maybe it is easier to ignore all that is inconvenient and live a happy life without any bad feelings, but is that life?

Last edited by Kagemusha; 01-31-2019 at 21:46. Reason: rambling
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Members thankful for this post (7):

+ Show/Hide List

I thought this was going to be an announcement that he is being made a moderator.

Rest in Peace.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha View Post
    It is sad to see that there are so few to remember him, but then that is not so much about Frags, but about the Org.
    Despite the few people on the Org posting, anyone who has participated in the (relatively) elevated debates of the Org backroom have been impacted by his posts here.
    Without getting too sappy, in a way Fragony's impact will carry with some of us for as long as we talk about politics, here or IRL. His Euroskeptic viewpoint is something that subconsciously springs up whenever I think about particularly European issues.

Same with HoreTore and all the others who left before their time.
    Last edited by a completely inoffensive name; 02-01-2019 at 06:08.

+ Show/Hide List

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Strange how devastated I am by the death of someone I never met in real life. His opinions were thought provoking, but the man had a heart of gold. For all his though talk about immigrants, he was always there for friends in need, no matter their origin. A beautiful personality.And a great sense of humour. I had some brilliant and hilarious conversations in the TYOLT thread together with him and the Dutch-speaking gang.He was one of the main reasons I sticked around in my first few years around here.The good die young, they say. Bas was a good man. I'll miss him.Het ga je goed, mia muca, waar je ook bent. Laat die man met zijn witte baard een poepje ruiken en zet die hemel daar maar eens flink op stelten. Ongetwijfeld vind je wel wat knappe engeltjes wiens anatomie, geef maar toe, je altijd geïntrigeerd heeft.
    Last edited by Andres; 02-01-2019 at 07:32.

Members thankful for this post (8):

+ Show/Hide List

Fragony has been on my mind a lot since learning of his passing. He was an interesting man. I never engaged with him on any serious matter, but read a lot of what he had to say on serious and light topics - it was hard not to considering the number of posts he had here at the Org. He was often at odds with most other patrons on some subjects and yet, when the discussion was over, he never seemed to hold a grudge against anyone who held an opposing viewpoint. He was a fine example of the kind of person many of us need to strive to be like, especially those of us in the US in the current political and social environment in which we are currently embroiled, where disagreement has become the equivalent of hate. And, as Andres said, it was very apparent he had a heart of gold. He left me with the impression he knew how to live life for the pure enjoyment of it - the Hunter S. Thompson quote comes to mind when thinking of Fragony:

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'”
    What a ride you had here at the Org, Fragony. RIP
    This space intentionally left blank

Members thankful for this post (6):

I'm shocked. He was frequently active in this forum. I felt as if I knew him personally. He was so civil and calm that it took several of his posts for me to realize that he had controversial opinions.
    Last edited by Shaka_Khan; 02-03-2019 at 18:26.
    Wooooo!!!

I'm sorry to hear that, gentlemen. It sounds like he was a good dude and he reached out a few times outside this forum on social media. RIP Bas rest his soul.
    Last edited by AE Bravo; 02-03-2019 at 20:22.

Travelling Knight Content Manager Nigel's Avatar

I learned about this yesterday coming back from a week afk.
    Although I did not really know Fragony (we never chatted/posted directly) it took me a whole day before I was able to post here. I am as shocked as everyone else by the news but also touched by the warm words people have for him here.

If comments and replies in this thread are coming in slow, I think it is just because sympathy cannot be measuerd in numbers of posts. It probably can not be measured at all. So easy to add a funny comment to a funny video - so hard to find the words that truely show how you feel. Rather than saying something awkward or out of place, many would rather say nothing at all. That's just how it is, nothing more to it.

Reading back over some old posts and reading what people have written here, it reminds me that although we play our games in the virtual world hiding inside virtual characters and avatars, there are very real people behind each post here. Somehow I find comfort in it.

+ Show/Hide List

Rest in Peace, Fragony.
    Patience is the companion of wisdom.
    --St. Augustine

Members thankful for this post (3):

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

So very sad to hear of my old friend's (and at times, nemesis) passing. Obviously I haven't been on the Org anywhere near so much in the past few years, but I hold him (and many of you from my more active days) warmly in my heart. Fragony and I agreed on some things, disagreed on others, but I always held him in high regard. I always got the impression that he was GENUINE. And he was a hoot, especially when playing the fool to troll (almost always in a light hearted fashion).

I will miss him. Much metta, my friend.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Members thankful for this post (8):

+ Show/Hide List

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Btw, shouldn't this be a pinned post? And shouldn't an announcement be made to other Org areas that may have known Frags as well?
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

I pop in from time to time and he was always very kind to me. God speed my friend.
    RIP Tosa

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Yet another, way too young. Only had a few exchanges over the years and we didn't connect, but I did find myself looking forward to your perspective on the rare occasions I allowed myself to lurk back here. So often it came from an angle that was very different from most others. I respected most your Sincerity (as has been said: "genuine"). RIP, Fragony/Bas.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

It took me a while to process this - and it still is odd because being so active over here, Fragony to me was everywhere. Sure, not everyone agreed with him, but I particularly loved the "mia muca" part which apparently is Esperanto for "my pigs".

We'll miss you Frag, we'll be your mia muca forever.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Sure, not everyone agreed with him, but I particularly loved the "mia muca" part which apparently is Esperanto for "my pigs".

We'll miss you Frag, we'll be your mia muca forever.
    Wait, what? I always thought it was his weird, wrongly spelled way to say something like "mi muchacho", but it's possible that the spelling changed over the years anyway (I remember it as "Mia mucha"). Doesn't change the meaning much though.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

I hesitated to bring this up because it's rather self-centered, but a couple of weeks before he died I PMed Fragony with a rebuttal to one of his posts. He pithily conceded and thanked me for my "generous" message.

Fragony's alternation between receptivity and obtuseness was frequently a source of exasperation, but he was a core facilitator of the Backroom's unique social ambience. (I don't mean in the sense that he posted a lot.) I'm sure he was the same for his hometown/neighborhood.
    Last edited by Montmorency; 02-22-2019 at 01:07.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Members thankful for this post (3):

Rest in peace

Members thankful for this post (4):

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast