Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coffee VS Energy Drinks

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Coffee VS Energy Drinks

I've started to have an unhealthy addiction to energy drinks, particularly on demanding days where I have a lot of stuff to do, also personal projects and also doing other things like going out. I don't drink alcohol, nor do I smoke or drink coffee, but loving Red Bull and an occasional Monster Energy apple flavour is not really ideal.

Since I should be substituting those things with a small cup of coffee, can someone help me wean off the energy drinks and go for a coffee? I tried coffee, Arabic coffee in fact, it was too bitter and strong for my taste to be honest.

How do I get into coffee?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Member thankful for this post:

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Re: Coffee VS Energy Drinks

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    I've started to have an unhealthy addiction to energy drinks, particularly on demanding days where I have a lot of stuff to do, also personal projects and also doing other things like going out. I don't drink alcohol, nor do I smoke or drink coffee, but loving Red Bull and an occasional Monster Energy apple flavour is not really ideal.

Since I should be substituting those things with a small cup of coffee, can someone help me wean off the energy drinks and go for a coffee? I tried coffee, Arabic coffee in fact, it was too bitter and strong for my taste to be honest.

How do I get into coffee?
    This should have been a poll

Unless you are lactose intolerant, the traditional "starter" approach to coffee is a latte. The milk smoothes the bitter a notch. Sugar to taste.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Coffee is a bit of an acquired taste. As Seamus said, you can start with a latte. You could add some sugar. Within time, you'll learn to appreciate coffee with a cloud of milk and no sugar.

Then you're ready for manhood and will learn to drink it black.

Frol then on, once you've learned to love the bitterness, a whole new world will open to you with strong espresso and ristretto.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Members thankful for this post (2):

I had the Arabic coffee, no sugar, very bitter. Woah. Woke me up instantly but at the same time couldn't drink it.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Eventually, you work up to Navy 'mid-rats' coffee. [higher ratio of ground bean to liquid volume, pinch of sea-salt or strained seawater tossed in] Mid-rats are the "middle of the night rations" served to the crew working 0001-0400.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Arabica can be a bit harsh on the palate. Colombian or Jamaican Blue Mountain would be my suggestion.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why not be British and drink tea?
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

This thread is making me regret swearing off coffee...
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Why not be British and drink tea?
    Too strong for me. I had an Earl Grey once for breakfast and it made me shake my head. I don't like anything that's bitter or particularly strong. In fact I like my tea to be more like an infusion of fruits, and I really love tea. Just not the heavy earl grey / black tea ones which slap me into waking up.

Proud

Been to:

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Too strong for me. I had an Earl Grey once for breakfast and it made me shake my head. I don't like anything that's bitter or particularly strong. In fact I like my tea to be more like an infusion of fruits, and I really love tea. Just not the heavy earl grey / black tea ones which slap me into waking up.
    I was thinking more Breakfast/Builders tea than the fancy ones.

Herbal Teas are good though. The one I usually have is Strawberry and Cranberry flavoured.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Breakfast / Builders tea...? Don't know them, any more info?

Love the fruit infusions, as I said. Ginger / apple / strawberry.

Proud

Been to:

Tea's strength depends on brewing time obviously - how much you leave the bag in to stew - if you want a light tea, leave it for a short time

The short answer for coffee is: visit Greece and you'll leave with an unheatlhy coffee addiction. There are coffee shops everywhere, everyone is hanging with a coffee cup in their hands and most people work in coffee shops or cafeterias.. the economic crisis actually made the trend worse..

americano/filtered coffee [with some milk/sugar] is a good start - from there you go to espressos, cappuccinos, freddos [ice] versions of the two, frappe [greek invention, essentially whiped summer coffee] macchiatos etc

personal favorite is a double espresso - no sugar

I find it interesting how the land of fruit juice and excellent Mediterranean diet is so into coffee. (Greece)

Currently typing as I drink a Monster Energy.

Proud

Been to:

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Energy drinks are not so good for insulin levels in the body:

https://endocrinenews.endocrine.org/...trol-in-teens/

“Results show that consumption of a caffeine-containing energy drink results in a 20-30% increase in insulin and glucose levels in response to a glucose load. Since caffeine persists in the system for four-six hours after consumption, continuous insulin resistance associated with regular caffeine-containing energy drink consumption in adolescents could contribute to increased metabolic risk in susceptible individuals later in life through persistent interference with their regular glucose metabolism.”
    But the results cannot be predicted long-term:

https://www.health24.com/Medical/Dia...-risk-20151204

But the human body is capable of adapting to continued doses of caffeine, Battram said, and it's not clear the insulin resistance shown in this study will persist long enough to cause health problems. "We don't know if this insulin impairment you're seeing will continue over days," Battram said. "We don't really know long-term what this is doing. We can't say this is having a negative effect on us."
    Strangely enough, caffeine in coffee may have the opposite effect:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...r/faq-20057941

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/coff...-diabetes.html

My own personal opinion is that energy drinks are probably ok as long as you don't abuse them by consuming large quantities. My own personal preference is coffee, and I drink no more than two cups in a day.
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 04-08-2019 at 02:32.
    High Plains Drifter

I find it interesting how the land of fruit juice and excellent Mediterranean diet is so into coffee. (Greece)

Currently typing as I drink a Monster Energy.
    Actually its the smokers_while_sipping_coffee country

We have the highest numbers of cancer from smoking [in proportion], the highest numbers of smoking [in proportion] - and coffee is basically at this moment the country's raison d'etre it would appear.. you make a living by making it or serving it, you discuss your life over it with friends, you go on a romantic date "for a coffee" - you chill having one alone and watch the girls/boys pass by..you have one in order to start your day..

Its the essential ingredient, the very zen i'd say of the greek way
    Last edited by Goalum; 04-08-2019 at 02:38.

Colonel In Chief Member PROVOST's Avatar

Was reading an atricle that showed all the horrid effects of "Energy Drinks" what they do to one's organs etc.

Coffee is not perhaps great to be drinking too much of but got to say after reading the article I was so glad I don't drink them.

As it is I am max a 2 cups per day coffee drinker and the average is only one cup per day.
    You can build a throne with bayonets, but you can't sit on it for long. -Boris Yeltsin

мыслете наш он покой

Goalum 

Quote Originally Posted by gallum View Post
    Actually its the smokers_while_sipping_coffee country

We have the highest numbers of cancer from smoking [in proportion], the highest numbers of smoking [in proportion] - and coffee is basically at this moment the country's raison d'etre it would appear.. you make a living by making it or serving it, you discuss your life over it with friends, you go on a romantic date "for a coffee" - you chill having one alone and watch the girls/boys pass by..you have one in order to start your day..

Its the essential ingredient, the very zen i'd say of the greek way
    So the quintessential expression of Greek culture is an import via their Turkish conquerors...

The ironies of history abound.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    So the quintessential expression of Greek culture is an import via their Turkish conquerors...

The ironies of history abound.
    Sounds like an answer to things i was writing in the brexit thread [or perhaps elsewhere,who knows], but yes..ironies abound - as ironic as Constantin the great's statue outside York cathedral..
    Last edited by Goalum; 04-11-2019 at 08:28. Reason: i think i did a diddy doody

Sounds like an answer to things i was writing in the brexit thread [or perhaps elsewhere,who knows], but yes..ironies abound - as ironic as Constantin the great's statue outside York cathedral..
    ..Or Queen Victoria's statue in Edinburgh castle, same irony - sorry, forgot you are [likely] Scottish Seamus
    Last edited by Goalum; 04-11-2019 at 09:40.

..Or Queen Victoria's statue in Edinburgh castle, same irony - sorry, forgot you are [likely] Scottish Seamus
    Irish and Polish mostly. When the Irish came to America and realized how truly horrific their traditional cuisine was, they married pretty much any other Catholic to find a decent meal.

Oh boy... it can't be that bad!

Proud

Been to:

Oh boy... it can't be that bad!
    Traditional Irish cuisine sucks. Boiled potato and cabbage, with old mutton when possible. Cream and butter were to be had, and fish near the coasts. Bread was for feast days and seasoning beyond salt was unknown.

Modern Irish cuisine is as vibrant and varied as any in Europe, but the traditional boil up was malfing bad.

Traditional American cuisine = pork, biscuit, apple, whiskey

Better or worse?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I can't imagine my life without a cup of coffe. Energy drinks are harmful

Traditional Irish cuisine sucks. Boiled potato and cabbage, with old mutton when possible. Cream and butter were to be had, and fish near the coasts. Bread was for feast days and seasoning beyond salt was unknown.
    It has something pure about it - the frugality of it. The ex-misus had a book on it and we tried a few of the broths and boils, it wasn't bad

When the Irish came to America and realized how truly horrific their traditional cuisine was, they married pretty much any other Catholic to find a decent meal.
    Any other catholic than Italians, i suppose? Vying for control over the same territories prevented that i guess

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Traditional American cuisine = pork, biscuit, apple, whiskey

Better or worse?
    Apple pie and whiskey I get, but biscuit?

Quote Originally Posted by Xantan View Post
    Apple pie and whiskey I get, but biscuit?
    I should say corn products more generally, anything with corn. Biscuits, corn mush, hoe cake, johnny cake, hominy grits, etc.

Slathered in maple syrup, molasses, pork fat, butter, whatever. We've always been greasy.

Washed down with whiskey. Or cider. Beer and wine were never too popular in the antebellum days.

Hmm, I guess it does sound better than potatoes and cabbage.
    Last edited by Montmorency; 04-24-2019 at 03:46.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I should say corn products more generally, anything with corn. Biscuits, corn mush, hoe cake, johnny cake, hominy grits, etc.

Slathered in maple syrup, molasses, pork fat, butter, whatever. We've always been greasy.

Washed down with whiskey. Or cider. Beer and wine were never too popular in the antebellum days.
    You're really talking about the Old South with that particular list. Northerners tended toward wheats and ryes or potatoes for their starches. Rum was also a favorite, especially in the NE given the triangle trade, and beer not uncommon. Wine was for people wealthy enough to import it, so....

They did drink a lot of cider given their trust of the water in those days.

Hmm, I guess it does sound better than potatoes and cabbage.
    Indeed. And BOILED, not even fried or usually even roasted. Boxty was a veritable example of haute cuisine by traditional Irish standards.

I looked up boxty out of curiosity - it's a potato... pancake?

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

I always tell the people at the coffee shops when they ask if I want room for cream... "If it's worth drinking, it's worth drinking black." They probably hate me.

But, to the original post, there's a world of coffee variety out there. Probably any of it will take some getting used to- but if you found it too bitter, it could just be that it was roasted too dark or prepared badly. When I had more free time and disposable income, I used to roast my own coffee. I found I was generally attracted to light roast coffees from Africa for their brightness/fruitiness or a medium roasted Sumatra for it's smoothness.

This site can give you an idea of what some of the world's coffee regions are known for. Everything that's not complete garbage is some form of Arabica been. The alternative, Robusta, is only used in cheap coffees.
    Also, please remember that Starbucks makes horrible coffee.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 05-07-2019 at 14:00.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Members thankful for this post (2):

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast