Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPhone vs Android

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default iPhone vs Android

The battle of all battles.

Personally, I carry two phones - both of them iPhones - one being for business one for my own personal stuff. Despite me being rather neutral towards Apple (I've always been a Blackberry fan but BB is now gone), I do not like Android at all, hence why I carry the iPhone. I do love the iPhone 7, which I currently have, it's the perfect fit and it looks great on the screen. Also - buttons. I want buttons. I cannot not have buttons. Furthermore, the new size of the phones like the iPhone XR are far too big for my tastes and I cannot even think of having one since they are so big.

What's your pick? What's your take?

iPhone / iOS or Samsung / HTC / Android?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Re: iPhone vs Android

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    The battle of all battles.

Personally, I carry two phones - both of them iPhones - one being for business one for my own personal stuff. Despite me being rather neutral towards Apple (I've always been a Blackberry fan but BB is now gone), I do not like Android at all, hence why I carry the iPhone. I do love the iPhone 7, which I currently have, it's the perfect fit and it looks great on the screen. Also - buttons. I want buttons. I cannot not have buttons. Furthermore, the new size of the phones like the iPhone XR are far too big for my tastes and I cannot even think of having one since they are so big.

What's your pick? What's your take?

iPhone / iOS or Samsung / HTC / Android?
    Have used both, and found both effective for most tasks. To me, the issue is not what your phone can do so much as what can you do with your phone. If all you ever do with your I-phone X is text with emojis, you have a very expensive ornament in your pocket that does what a 10-year old tracphone from walmart will handle just fine....
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

I'm with Seamus and even though I'm sort of a nerd, I stopped getting iPhones when I began to think that the things I use my phone for should also work on a 200€ device. Turns out they do, so why spend a humongous amount of money on an iPhone? Another thing that anmnoyed me greatly about the iPhone was iTunes and the relative dependance on it, at least before everyone used clouds for everything and songs could be downloaded from or streamed on multiple devices, etc.
    It's terribly slow on Windows and if I had just bought a new song there and wanted to put that on my phone in the 5mins before I had to go catch a train, iTunes would start with a backup, then synchronize 15GB of apps, then synchronize everything else....
    So I could either catch that train or listen to that song...

Anyway, I have a mid-range Sony now and it does everything I want it to do without costing as much as an iPhone, so I guess Android is okay. Had a Windows Phone before that, but that one obviously didn't turn out that great in terms of the OS being dead now...

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Despite me not being a super fan of one brand or another, I did stick with iPhones. Using one for business in fact, and I just bought a new one (an older model) which now takes me to approximately 7 iPhones used. I do really appreciate the super clean design and the very good internet capability, plus some specific reatures like iMessage, but I do miss my BlackBerry the most.

That was the best... I loved my BB Bold 9700 with a keyboard. That was amazing and the BBM part was splendid.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Anyway, I have a mid-range Sony now and it does everything I want it to do without costing as much as an iPhone, so I guess Android is okay. Had a Windows Phone before that, but that one obviously didn't turn out that great in terms of the OS being dead now...
    Aren't they Nokia Windows Phone now? Or they moved to Android?

I know Nokia was bought out and became WP but Nokia is coming back.

Proud

Been to:

Aren't they Nokia Windows Phone now? Or they moved to Android?

I know Nokia was bought out and became WP but Nokia is coming back.
    Nokia was a partner for Microsoft and then Microsoft bought their cellphone branch and the right to use the brand for two years or so.
    After that they branded them as Microsoft phones. I just meant the OS though, which was also on a few other phones, one from Samsung, etc.
    But in the end it never really took off and they gave it up pretty much. I think a few of them still receive (security) updates, but there is no further development of the OS going on.

Nokia is coming back with Android and they mostly just sell their brand, IIRC the (design and) manufacturing are done by some partner in Asia or thereabouts.

MKBHD (Marques Brownlee) is one of the most popular tech reviews on YouTube. iPhone fan but also heavily reviewing Android, so I guess, best of both worlds?

Samsung Galaxy 10+ review below.

And here we go - folding phones~

Apparently the screen has some protective layer that some mistook for a transport protection and removed it, causing the screen to die after only two days of use. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...me-test-models

Several publications, including Bloomberg News, outlined a bevy of problems with test versions of the device, which folds inward like a notebook. Bloomberg’s review unit experienced issues after a plastic protective layer was removed on Monday. By Tuesday night, a small tear had developed at the top of the hinge, where the gadget opens. Then the display failed to operate properly.
    There are several questions that I have, like how well does that protection sit if they could easily remove it? IIRC one reviewer said he removed it after it had partially come off by itself. The folding is said to last for "up to 200,000 times", is that really enough if you want to use it for more than 2 years or so (it's quite expensive and given this, the resale price after 2 years may be quite low)? And if it's up to, then what is the lower end?

Not to say that being able to enlarge the screen of a mobile device isn't cool, I'm just wondering whether it's really ready and sturdy technology yet. And whether it is worth the enormous price of 1,980$ according to the above article. I guess I'll wait until it has arrived in 300$-phones, tablets and notebooks.
    Last edited by Husar; 04-18-2019 at 13:53.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Analogous to the AK-47 v M-16 debate. The M-16 was, in most ways, a much better weapon. However, the Kalishnakov's ability to continue operating when used by morons with no clue often made it the effective choice.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

The phone I use is Redmi note 7. Awesome android device, the design is very cool. All my previous smartphones are android-based too. The only Apple stuff I have is my old iPod The thing I like about Android is that there is a bigger amount of applications created for it and most of them are free. http://androidgo.fun/ is the blog I follow to know better about interesting android apps, I like their reviews.
    Last edited by Beskar; 04-23-2019 at 17:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Analogous to the AK-47 v M-16 debate. The M-16 was, in most ways, a much better weapon. However, the Kalishnakov's ability to continue operating when used by morons with no clue often made it the effective choice.
    I hope you're not trying to say only morons would break the foldable screen. Apparently, some screens also broke without anyone removing the protective layer and Samsung has delayed the launch to improve the phones. Something about the possibility that dirt would enter at the hinges and potentially cause these issues. Though at that point your comparison is quite good, given how an M16 would also not react too well to dirt entering it at the "hinges".

There's been so much discussion over those foldable screens that Samsung retracted them.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    I hope you're not trying to say only morons would break the foldable screen. Apparently, some screens also broke without anyone removing the protective layer and Samsung has delayed the launch to improve the phones. Something about the possibility that dirt would enter at the hinges and potentially cause these issues. Though at that point your comparison is quite good, given how an M16 would also not react too well to dirt entering it at the "hinges".

Just so. Despite the "superiority" of one design in a purely technical sense, it ran into trouble when operated in less than ideal conditions or by under-skilled operators.

Husar 

I don't really get the purpose though of foldable screens - why? I mean, what's wrong with a clear crisp big one?

Proud

Been to:

I don't really get the purpose though of foldable screens - why? I mean, what's wrong with a clear crisp big one?
    However big your big screen is, the folded one can always be bigger or twice as big. It's probably partially because many people use their mobile phones as their only or main electronic device but deep in their hearts they know that a proper screen of 27" or above is so much better. So they try to get bigger and bigger ones.

Personally I see my phone as a mobile extension of my computer, don't use it a lot when I can access my computer instead and stopped paying for more than a midrange phone that is small enough to fit into my pocket so I don't need an extra handbag for my phone.
    But I guess priorities differ, I also build my computers myself (not the parts, but you know what I mean).

It's super unconfortable to have a large phone in your pocket - that's why I avoid any big phone like the iPhone XR to be honest. iPhone 7/8 or the equivalent Samsung is perfect.

Anything bigger is a nuisance.

Proud

Been to:

This will be probably a big hit on the market - and so far OnePlus has exceeded expectations and sales too.

OnePlus has been doing a good job.

Speaking of someone not doing a good job... BlackBerry. I was looking recently at in depth reviews of the BlackBerry Key2 LE, which still has a physical keyboard, the hallmark of BlackBerry.

I am kind of disappointed with the "innovations" from the new iPhone 11 - as in, it just has an ugly back camera and that's it. Nothing new and fresh about it.

However, since Apple has this thing of always upgrading, I have to give up in about a year or so my iPhone SE (2015 release) to get a new iPhone - probably the 2018 XS.

Proud

Been to:

I have been using iPhone for 6 years (iPhone 4,iPhone 5,iPhone 6s iPhone XR,iPhone Max)

Proud

Been to:

This is something special - 108 megapixels of camera.

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Jolla Sailfish on an Xperia XA2 / XA2 Ultra / XA2 Plus / 10 / 10 Plus / 10 II (hopefully in the near future).

I have been using Sailfish on an XA2 Plus for a year now and I love it.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

If the price of the iPhone can be as cheap as Android, I think the iPhone will really occupy the mobile phone market.

That's kind of true to be honest, with the new iPhone SE2.

Proud

Been to:

A combination of gaming and phones results in... well, this I guess.

It's fine to get a bit carried away with the super specs, especially compared to perhaps an iPhone, but the question is more of "do you really need to". You're probably better off buying an ASUS ROG altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariy78 View Post
    If the price of the iPhone can be as cheap as Android, I think the iPhone will really occupy the mobile phone market.
    but why iphone so expensive

Ya right iphone so expensive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast