Thread: Failed to open sound database

Default Failed to open sound database

Whenever I run the game I get to the very first screen and then get this warning in a pop-up. Help!

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

Default Re: Failed to open sound database

Welcome the forum!

Please give some more specific informations about your OS and your installation path. Probably there is something wrong with your installation

Here is a guide on how to install EB: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=80270 ; see if you installed like it is mentioned there.

XSamatan

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

Quote Originally Posted by XSamatan View Post
    Welcome the forum!

Please give some more specific informations about your OS and your installation path. Probably there is something wrong with your installation

Here is a guide on how to install EB: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=80270 ; see if you installed like it is mentioned there.

XSamatan
    Windows 7, it's installed in C:\Games\RTW
    I got it working right after the installation but it hasn't worked since.

1. Try to run RTW alone, if you get the same error, uninstall all
    2. Does it crash or do you have still access to the in-game Settings?
    3. Check your System options in Win7 if the sound drivers are working properly
    4. run validateInstall.bat in the RTW folder and post the results here (if you got a blank page see the third hint here)

XSamatan

Too much text according to the edit box. I installed RTR in the same place (but that runs fine). Could that be the problem?

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No, it shouldn't. Both RTR and EB use their own mod folders and do not over write original RTW files.

Silly question but have you checked the EB shortcut target line? Not sure if they work if you install EB to another location than Program Files/etc

Quote Originally Posted by Ibn-Khaldun View Post
    No, it shouldn't. Both RTR and EB use their own mod folders and do not over write original RTW files.

Silly question but have you checked the EB shortcut target line? Not sure if they work if you install EB to another location than Program Files/etc
    How do I do that?

EDIT: Unistalled and re-installed EB, but when I start it up RTR starts instead 0_o
    Last edited by EddyP; 03-31-2010 at 20:23.

Right click on RTW.exe and select "New shortcut"
    Right click on the new shortcut and select "Properties"
    Edit the target line and add: -mod:eb -show_err -ne -nm

If this does not work, I would assume that there must be an interference between RTR and EB being in the same RTW folder, you should then install a clean 1.5 RTW and simply copy the whole folder three times. Into on install/copy RTR into the other install EB, the last is you backup.

XSamatan

XSamatan

Uninstalled and re-installed everything (twice) and got it working. Thanks for the tips!

Hey enormous thanks!

-show_err -ne -nm, after adding this I see the error exactly and fixed my new music noT playing problem!!!
    Last edited by rngf392quifsdfn; 02-24-2024 at 06:50.