Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Notre Dame de Paris in flame

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Default Notre Dame de Paris in flame

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47941794

The current state of Notre Dame makes it a possibility that the structure of the Cathedral may collapse, although the BBC are currently downplaying this.

God have Mercy

"If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Re: Notre Dame de Paris in flame

I am currently watching this on TV and I'm in disbelief - initially there was this contained fire in the south then it slowly took over the entire cathedral. The north tower is in danger right now.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-...-the-cathedral

This explains some of the underlying issues with the structure, parts of the Cathedral were being held up by wood and metal paces which may now burn or otherwise fail.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Even if it doesn't collapse, buttressing the remaining shell will take months if not years... the horrible decision of going quickly but less carefully or slow and methodically and hoping that time and even rain doesn't cause a collapse.

Trump can't even keep quiet on this disaster either...

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

The BBC is reporting that the main structure is now safe, but Im still rather upset about this. I was so looking forward to seeing it when I visited next month.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Apparently either some or most of the artwork was saved?

Hopefully they can meticulously reconstruct what was lost and eventually the 2019 cathedral will seem just as monumentally present as the 1831 cathedral seems to us.

Also:

Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Apparently most of the artwork is safe - relics are preserved.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Well shall have to see, but the latest images show that some of the vaulting in the nave has collapsed. Like most medieval Cathedrals Notre Dame's wooden roof rested on stone vaulting, the actual ceiling of the cathedral. The vaulting exerts an outwards pressure which is countered by the inward pressure of the flying buttresses. Once the structure is weakened by fire the vaulting can collapse, which means there's no counterpoint to the flying buttresses, leading to a risk of an inward collapse of the entire nave.

This sort of things can, of course, be countered by bracing etc. or (in an emergency) possibly undermining buttresses (although this could also cause the whole structure to twist and collapse. One possible bright spot here is that Notre Dame was already undergoing huge renovations which means there should be a Cathedral architect on-site with a thorough understanding of the structure and geometry of the cathedral.

The whole structure will take days to fully cool and settle, so it could be a while before we know the true extent of the damage. Between then and now there's nothing to do but hope and pray.

Member thankful for this post:

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

On the plus side, the cathedral will probably get millions in renovation funding from around the world and the government. So it will be rebuilt in its magnificent glory.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

A new one is better than a refurbished one anyway. They can also introduce advanced materials such as fiberglass, carbon fiber and recycled ocean plastic with solar panels and windmills on top.

I mean, I'm glad no humans go hurt. Shame for the building, but it could have been worse.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Sad but it will be rebuilt, just as it has before.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    On the plus side, the cathedral will probably get millions in renovation funding from around the world and the government. So it will be rebuilt in its magnificent glory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    A new one is better than a refurbished one anyway. They can also introduce advanced materials such as fiberglass, carbon fiber and recycled ocean plastic with solar panels and windmills on top.

I mean, I'm glad no humans go hurt. Shame for the building, but it could have been worse.
    I made this point of facebook -

"Your cat died, but now you can get a new one that isn't blind in one eye."

Classy.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Fortunately, nobody appears to have been seriously harmed in the process.

News reports that hundreds of millions of Euros have been pledged for the reconstruction. I am sure that the reconstruction will be controversial -- such things always are.

The snarky in me wonders if the laïcité purists will insist it be rebuilt as a Temple of Reason again...
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Blog Entries

Seems the interior was mostly protected by the vaulted ceiling, only one section collapsed and was due to the spire falling on it, who knows at this point how much damage the heat did to the stonework.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post

Classy.
    Then we remember the facts:
    - the "cat" is not dead.
    - the "cat" was severely in need of renovation and lacking material (money) support.
    - the "cat" is now going to be repaired and rebuilt better than ever with excessive material support.
    - the posts about the "cat" you were responding too was about this silver lining despite the tragedy which would ensure what is left can be enjoyed for future generations due to this outreach of support which was previously lacking.
    Last edited by Beskar; 04-16-2019 at 23:31.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Member thankful for this post:

- the "cat" is not dead.
    - the "cat" was severely in need of renovation and lacking material (money) support.
    - the "cat" is now going to be repaired and rebuilt better than ever with excessive material support.
    - the posts about the "cat" you were responding too was about this silver lining despite the tragedy which would ensure what is left can be enjoyed for future generations due to this outreach of support which was previously lacking.
    https://twitter.com/_theek_/status/1117895531563372544

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	twitter12.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	22427
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	twitter 13.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	675.7 KB 
ID:	22428
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Classy.
    Oh come on, you want to see windmills made of ocean plastic on it, too!
    Plus, unlike a cat, a building doesn't have a soul. It's terrible for the objectophiles of course.

- the "cat" is not dead.
    None of which will be of any comfort to the congregation on Maundy Thursday, who now do not have a Cathedral to worship in.

Sometimes, Beskar, the person with a closer emotional connection just has the more appropriate emotional response. Obviously, you aren't having an emotional response, so would you kindly?

Oh come on, you want to see windmills made of ocean plastic on it, too!
    Plus, unlike a cat, a building doesn't have a soul. It's terrible for the objectophiles of course.
    Oh, Cathedrals definitely have souls.

Also, I had a thing with a visiting Dutch academic last year - she was able to help me better understand the German sense of humour, so now I can at least tell when you're trying to be funny.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ris-cathedral/

Macron thinks he can do it in five years.

The French aristocracy have already pledged 1 Billion Euros.

France is a strange place, theoretically a Republic yet at times like this it feels more like the Ancien Regime.

Blog Entries

Sometimes, Beskar, the person with a closer emotional connection just has the more appropriate emotional response. Obviously, you aren't having an emotional response, so would you kindly?
    Yes, instead of "Wow, there has been a big amount in donations which will help rebuild/repair the cathedral" I will now use trigger warnings about a dead cat and reply only with "thoughts and prayers" instead.

None of which will be of any comfort to the congregation on Maundy Thursday, who now do not have a Cathedral to worship in.

https://www.facebook.com/qaddafigong...type=3&theater

Terrible people are terrible?

No other tragic event makes this less tragic?

Sorry, I'm going to need more than just a troll link.

Blog Entries

Communist gonna communist.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Terrible people are terrible?

No other tragic event makes this less tragic?

Sorry, I'm going to need more than just a troll link.
    Well, you claimed that the more emotional response may be more appropriate, but who is to judge that?
    It's nothing but an opinion.

I do wonder though, why people sometimes have a more emotional connection to things than to other people.
    Maybe I'd cry if my house burnt down, but not having a Sunday service at the usual place, I don't know. Is it about the worship or the nice windows?

Well, you claimed that the more emotional response may be more appropriate, but who is to judge that?
    It's nothing but an opinion.

I do wonder though, why people sometimes have a more emotional connection to things than to other people.
    Maybe I'd cry if my house burnt down, but not having a Sunday service at the usual place, I don't know. Is it about the worship or the nice windows?
    Actually, I said "closer emotional connection".

The guys on that facebook page are basically the Left-Wing equivalent of Incels.

Actually, I said "closer emotional connection".

The guys on that facebook page are basically the Left-Wing equivalent of Incels.
    So your response is not more emotional then? I wonder why you get so upset then.

I don't know that Facebook page and didn't bother to check it out, you seem to know it better than I do.

edit: UbiSoft are also giving away AC:Unity on UPlay because of this. In addition to donating 500,000€:
    https://register.ubisoft.com/acu-not...giveaway/en-GB

Someone mentioned though, that, in France, people and corporations can get up to a 60% tax return for such donations, so a lot of these huge donations from French billionaires and corporations may largely be paid for by the public in the end.
    Last edited by Husar; 04-18-2019 at 15:22.

Let's be honest here - a donation like this, while being of a very kind gesture and clearly from companies like LVMH and Kering it's actually very useful because they actually have very skilled artisans, is a very good tax write off.

Proud

Been to:

Someone mentioned though, that, in France, people and corporations can get up to a 60% tax return for such donations, so a lot of these huge donations from French billionaires and corporations may largely be paid for by the public in the end.
    I don't know how the cathedral was paid for when it was built in the first place, but I imagine it was paid for by royalty, nobility and the Catholic Church, all of which got their money by taxing commoners. Plus ça change.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

Blog Entries

60% being subtracted from the tax income is better than the 100 that would need to be taken if they didnt.

Hopefully the murmerings about the government planning on replacing the spire with some symbolic modern art eysore is just the rumor mill.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 04-19-2019 at 02:03.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast