Thread: Making A Fun Game

Default Making A Fun Game

Hello everyone. I have visited this site many times in the past and finally decided to join. I have been learning how to code by making video games in Unreal Engine. Since I'm trying to get better at coding, and I love the Total War series, I felt it would be a fun project to make a similar game.

I'm just starting the foundation of the game, and it will not be a CA title launch by any means, but it should be something fun in the end. I was wondering if anyone wanted to help bounce ideas I have for the game back and forth.

I'm leaning heavy on immersion rather than grand strategy. I want to make something that makes the player really think about how and when they want to wage war. Starting as a general they will work their way through the ranks to become the Emperor.

There is NO MONEY involved in this project. It's only a hobby of mine. If you're interested comment here or send me a private message. I look forward to meeting some of you.

The Philosopher Duke Member Suraknar's Avatar

Default Re: Making A Fun Game

Hi I see this thread has been a while here no answer. I wonder where your at with your project too. I dabble with Game Design myself so it got my attention.

The truth is that Ideas abound for such games, so go for it is what I have to say as a short reply.

As a longer reply, here is a bit of my story with ideas over the years.

Believe it or not I envisioned a game very similar to the Total War Series back in '96, at the time as I was taking a "Multimedia and 3D for Cinema" Course using Alias Power Animator, Maya (1.0) and SoftImage and even Strata Studio (on Mac) as well as Macromedia Director, Adobe Premiere, and Photoshop. This is a time where Schools for Learning to make Games did not exist and 3D graphics Classes were new.

One of my classes in that course was "Scenariography" in which one of my assignments was to come up with a "Pitch Idea" and I came up with Game like the TW series, full with a storyboard I drew etc I got a nice A for the project, and I still have it filed away.

I completed my studies but never got in the Game Industry and never got to realize that project.... I ended up having a career in IT instead (life happens). I did however use my acquired skills to mod games over the years as a hobby and a way to keep em fresh and for creative satisfaction :)

Anyhow, when Shogun TW launched and I discovered it, it was like "wow so similar to my school project", it was like a dream come true to play it!

Honestly though, I always wondered if my School Project ended up as a Pitch on some Studio's desk. (I remember of some Scandals like that In University back then, some corrupt Instructors even Professors stealing Student work passing it for their own for their own profit without benefiting the students).

Then, over the years, I realized that Ideas flow and are not necessarily unique, even if we think of them like that at times when we are younger so I stopped wondering. And besides, I do not even know if it is possible to find out.

Nevertheless, here I was having an Idea in Canada one moment, and then few years later someone else had the same idea over in Great Britain across an ocean, what are the odds right?

Well I believe it is testimony of how alike humans really are, so much so, that we often tend to come up with very similar creative ideas too.

Which is why in Copyright Laws, Gameplay Ideas cannot be copyrighted.

And it is also why you can have many different games with same Gameplay, such as FPS games and RTS game and MMORPG's and Strategy Games, even different Strategy Games covering same historical Periods, nobody owns History right it belongs to all.

Now this does not mean that you can go and make a game with Warhammer Specific Characters and Races and elements etc. But you could make a High Fantasy Game that has a Strategy Turn Based part and a Real Time Battle part, because that is Gameplay, and of course including your own version of High Fantasy as per your own vision and creativity, which then becomes your own creative IP.

Since TW games are you inspiration, I also invite you to brainstorm and ask yourself, if at any point, when you play TW games you wished that there was such and such mechanic or feature in the game, these can be elements which enrich your own take of such a game and make it a bit different in terms of gameplay too and adds to the diversity and variety, milestone after milestone as you progress in your roadmap and the game changes as it evolves towards it various iterations.

Also, making Games is not only a Business process, it is not only a project management process, it is also Artistic process and you should do good as long as you manage to balance all these.

So I hope that you did not give up, and curious to find out :) Cheers!
    Last edited by Suraknar; 04-20-2022 at 06:15. Reason: typos corrections etc
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"
    Traveled to: Over 70 Countries, most recent: and

~ Ask not what modding can do for you, rather ask what you can do for modding ~
    ~ Everyone dies, not everyone really fights ~

Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    Well I believe it is testimony of how alike humans really are, so much so, that we often tend to come up with very similar creative ideas too.
    Also, humans inspire other humans. When I was a kid, I had a few board games that depicted medieval battles. It was actually from a book on medieval warfare and castles. The game pieces were cut off from the book. I made my own WWII board game later on. If we go back further, I think those board games on medieval warfare were inspired by the popular Stratego board game. And If we go back far in the past, chess would be the inspiration. When I saw STW many years later, it reminded me of those board games. The first strategy pc game that I played was Koei's Romance of the Three Kingdoms. I think STW was inspired by this game. The basic ideas are actually very old, much older than the copyright law can cover. In addition to how alike humans are, humans also inspire one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    Which is why in Copyright Laws, Gameplay Ideas cannot be copyrighted.

This is why you can have many different games with same Gameplay, such as FPS games and RTS game and MMORPG's and Strategy Games, even different Strategy Games covering same historical Periods, nobody owns History right it belongs to all.!
    That's good to know. This should encourage more people to design their own games.
    Wooooo!!!

Member thankful for this post:

The Philosopher Duke Member Suraknar's Avatar

I remember KOEI's Romance of the Three Kingdoms haha.. (multiple versions actually) ;)

My journey basically Started by playing Games on a Sinclair ZX Spectrum, then Commodore 128 and also Amstrad CPC 6128 using disks, before that it was tapes :)

I never got in to the consoles, albeit some of my friends played on ATARI and ColecoVision (and later Nintendo) systems then and played together in few occasions, I was more attracted by the Junior PC's and then moved to 286, 386, 486, Pentium and the rest to today haha, what a journey it has been, from 64k to 64 Gigs of memory and an exponential evolution of processing power.

Now...In reality it is equally possible that CA had nothing to do with KOEI's games...

The topic of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms and the Records of the Three Kingdoms are part of History. Respectively the Romance is a play and compiled by Luo Ben or Guanzhong a 14th century writer, the Records are historical compilations by Chen Shou or Chengzuo a 3rd century historian.

Many people have been simply fans of the Books having read the Records or the Romance, and wanting to make a game or an anime or a movie on that is quite normal and does not need any other inspiration.

That said, the human brain is wired to recognize patterns and so it is very common for us, as players having played many games, often similar ones, to correlate perceived patterns. So it is very understandable to think that CA got inspiration from KOEI's game but it is equally possible that they did not.

Nevertheless, this is a good example to use in order to demonstrate the point about games and history. Many different companies have made games on the same topic, the Three Kingdoms, and that is not an issue, as each one brings to the table elements that are public and what is proper to each company is the presentation of it all according to the respective visions of their respective designers artists and developers.
    Last edited by Suraknar; 04-20-2022 at 07:04.
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"
    Traveled to: Over 70 Countries, most recent: and

~ Ask not what modding can do for you, rather ask what you can do for modding ~
    ~ Everyone dies, not everyone really fights ~