Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HBO's Chernobyl

Default HBO's Chernobyl

https://www.hbo.com/chernobyl

Chernobyl, a five-part miniseries co-production from HBO and Sky, dramatizes the story of the 1986 nuclear accident, one of the worst man-made catastrophes in history — and of the sacrifices made to save Europe from unimaginable disaster.

Premiering May 6, and followed by subsequent episodes each Monday, Chernobyl stars Emmy-nominee Jared Harris (The Crown, Mad Men), Stellan Skarsgård (Melancholia, Good Will Hunting) and Oscar-nominee Emily Watson (Hilary and Jackie, Breaking the Waves).

Chernobyl is written and executive produced by Craig Mazin (The Huntsman: Winter’s War) and directed by Johan Renck (Breaking Bad). Produced by Sister Pictures and The Mighty Mint as an HBO/Sky co-production, Emmy-winner Carolyn Strauss (Game of Thrones) and Jane Featherstone (Broadchurch) serve as executive producers while Johan Renck and Chris Fry (Humans) co-executive produce. Sanne Wohlenberg (Black Mirror) also produces.

On April 26, 1986, the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in Ukraine, Soviet Union suffered a massive explosion that released radioactive material across Belarus, Russia and Ukraine and as far as Scandinavia and western Europe.....
    Has anyone watched this? I heard that it's one of the most scariest mini-series ever made.
    Wooooo!!!

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: HBO's Chernobyl

I've been watching it. It's very well done, good acting and great atmosphere. If you do watch it, they also have a podcast, one per episode, with the producer Mazin, where they discuss the history of the episode's events and how the show tried to portray them. Also recommended, as in the former Soviet Union, fact was stranger than fiction...
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Ukrianian people related to the powerplant and the procedure of liquidating the consequences have spotted some inaccuracies and slantings.

Meanwhile some British blame it for the lack of black characters.
    https://www.rt.com/news/460958-chern...ersity-actors/
    There were no blacks in or around the power plant, so introducing some would aggravate the extant shortcomings of the show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Member thankful for this post:

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Ukrianian people related to the powerplant and the procedure of liquidating the consequences have spotted some inaccuracies and slantings
    I find the mini-series very well done and highly entertaining. I am not familiar enough with all of the particulars to know what the inaccuracies/slantings are

And you just knew that PC would rear it's ugly head, at some point
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 06-03-2019 at 17:44.
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    I find the mini-series very well done and highly entertaining. I am not familiar enough with all of the particulars to know what the inaccuracies/slantings are
    I didn't watch the show, so I would repeat what I heard from people who did and who know the inside stuff (of the power plant, not of the show). They said it was ridiculous to show a leadboarded truck at the time of the accident - and even later military APCs were used to travel in the zone. Radiation meters were not fixed outside the vehicles - each of them was equipped with one inside. The helicopter fell into the ruins of the power plant half a year after the catastrophe - in October 1986. These are only the first 3 inadequacies mentioned in the article which I didn't read further.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

внимание, внимание!

I really want to watch the series, Chernobyl had an impact in Romania as well.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    внимание, внимание!

I really want to watch the series, Chernobyl had an impact in Romania as well.
    It had an impact everywhere - there were sheep in Cumbria who couldn't be sold or moves for decades after without special permits.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    It had an impact everywhere - there were sheep in Cumbria who couldn't be sold or moves for decades after without special permits.
    But funnily enough, the area around Chernobyl is now thriving with wildlife. Bad though a nuclear meltdown is, in the long run it's still less damaging than modern civilisation.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Russian TV to create it's own Chernobyl show, with blackjack and hookers...
    I guess the show's premise of humiliating a system that is obsessed with not being humiliated rings true. The HBO show makes heroes out of the people cleaning up the mess, but whatever...

I also take this time to admonish Valve for dropping the ball here. The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. bundle is $40 on Steam, even though the game came out in 2007. How about a quick sale to take advantage of the interest?
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Russian TV to create it's own Chernobyl show, with blackjack and hookers...
    I guess the show's premise of humiliating a system that is obsessed with not being humiliated rings true. The HBO show makes heroes out of the people cleaning up the mess, but whatever...

I also take this time to admonish Valve for dropping the ball here. The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. bundle is $40 on Steam, even though the game came out in 2007. How about a quick sale to take advantage of the interest?
    It's 70% off on GOG right now.
    Wheel down, wheel down to southward! Oh, Gooverooska, go!
    And tell the Deep-Sea Viceroys the story of our woe;
    Ere, empty as the shark's egg the tempest flings ashore,
    The Beaches of Lukannon shall know their sons no more!

Rudyard Kipling, Lukannon

drone 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael.../#28cfd4a7632f

It wasn't that bad. Nuclear power is great. Solar power kills more birds. Radiation sickness is perfectly survivable. Barely anyone got cancer.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Quote Originally Posted by CrossLOPER View Post
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael.../#28cfd4a7632f

It wasn't that bad. Nuclear power is great. Solar power kills more birds. Radiation sickness is perfectly survivable. Barely anyone got cancer.
    Seems like a terrible author when you look up the institute he co-founded and what it does.
    Btw, you can also survive cancer, so nuclear really isn't that bad.
    I'm a huge fan of using that huge yellow nuclear fusion plant in the sky for energy...don't try to collect too much of it with your skin though, that way there's more cancer...
    Last edited by Husar; 06-10-2019 at 03:11.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Seems like a terrible author when you look up the institute he co-founded and what it does.
    Btw, you can also survive cancer, so nuclear really isn't that bad.
    I'm a huge fan of using that huge yellow nuclear fusion plant in the sky for energy...don't try to collect too much of it with your skin though, that way there's more cancer...
    Is he correct in evaluating the show's portrayal of radiation sickness, though?

If the Russian mainstream despises the show, Gilrandir is obligated to like it.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Is he correct in evaluating the show's portrayal of radiation sickness, though?
    Probably, but until he buys a house right next to the Chernobyl reactor to live there with his family, I'm not buying that the whole radiation scare isn't so bad.

If the Russian mainstream despises the show, Gilrandir is obligated to like it.
    If you were observant, some days ago in this thread I claimed I didn't watch it. And my mind does not change with the setting and rising of a few suns. Since it happened so close (both in time and distance) I don't need any show to tell me the story of the tragedy again. I expect a Titanic survivor wouldn't like to watch the movie either. Although, I might be wrong in this. I wouldn't, anyway.

Probably, but until he buys a house right next to the Chernobyl reactor to live there with his family, I'm not buying that the whole radiation scare isn't so bad.
    What if he wrote his book in this house? Can the influence of radiation account for his views?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    What if he wrote his book in this house? Can the influence of radiation account for his views?
    I think that is a possibility, you never know with quantum science.
    A quantum science once fell on the head of the friend of my cousin's grandmother's barber's dog and he hasn't been the same since.

A quantum science once fell on the head of the friend of my cousin's grandmother's barber's dog and he hasn't been the same since.
    You mean "a thick book on quantum science"?

You mean "a thick book on quantum science"?
    Due to the nature of the quantum science, we cannot know what exactly it was. It was definitely a Schrödinger's Quantum Science.

Due to the nature of the quantum science, we cannot know what exactly it was. It was definitely a Schrödinger's Quantum Science.
    Evidently both. The book and the science.

Husar 

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Russians never cease to amaze me. Good show.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Russians never cease to amaze me. Good show.
    Like "Russians who are not satisfied with the show" or like "Russians IN the show"? If the latter than most people which the show features are not Russians. They are Ukrainians.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Like "Russians who are not satisfied with the show" or like "Russians IN the show"? If the latter than most people which the show features are not Russians. They are Ukrainians.
    Both. Perhaps the better word was Soviet. Of course Russia would have you believe everything east of Poland and north of Greece is Russia.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

If the latter than most people which the show features are not Russians. They are Ukrainians.
    They all look the same to me.

They all look the same to me.
    Then try to smell them. Ukranians would be smelling of salo, Russians of vodka.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    But funnily enough, the area around Chernobyl is now thriving with wildlife. Bad though a nuclear meltdown is, in the long run it's still less damaging than modern civilisation.
    This is not exactly true.

Some areas in the exclusion zone are thriving with wildlife, but the animals have been observed to not live as long, and other areas remain utterly dead.

The plant exploded but it didn't leave some sort of magical miasma in a perfect ring around the reactor dome - there are hotspots and coldspots of radiation. Some areas are entirely liveable, some a deadly within a few hours or less.

It's a widely recognised fact that the Nuclear Power we use is pretty much the most dangerous form of the technology, and we use it primarily because it doubles up as a way to make fissile material for bombs.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Husar 

Then try to smell them. Ukranians would be smelling of salo, Russians of vodka.
    Xохрюшка?
    Vitiate Man.

Xохрюшка?
    Didn't get it. It's not a word, either in Russian or in Ukrainian.

Didn't get it. It's not a word, either in Russian or in Ukrainian.
    The only thing I can guess is that he misspelled корюшка, but that does not even make sense in context.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

хохлушка + хрюшка = Xохрюшка

It's a Level 0 pun. Pork fat.
    Vitiate Man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast