Thread: So Today there was a shooting scare at my university

Formerly Wigferth Ironwall Senior Member Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Default So Today there was a shooting scare at my university

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-48688919

Perhaps a student wanted to re-take an exam?

No idea, I wasn't on campus when it happened, apparently the Fuzz arrived and arrested him promptly - and it wasn't a "viable firearm".

Imagine how this might have gone if we had ready and easy access to legal handguns in the UK.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar

Default Re: So Today there was a shooting scare at my university

Yes, mental illness is a scourge on our society.

Thoughts and prayers.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    A 2004 analysis of more than 60 mass murders in North America, for example, found that just 6% were psychotic at the time of the killings. And when it comes to mass shootings, those with mental illness account for “less than 1% of all yearly gun-related homicides”
    BBC Article
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" - Daryl Davis
    "What makes something right or wrong?" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." # | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs." RG

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Erm... my lines were the traditional crap that gun nuts say after a massacre.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Erm... my lines were the traditional crap that gun nuts say after a massacre.
    Unfortunately that particular line gets lost on a lot of people. Even the not-gunnuts say it.

Thoughts and prayers.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" - Daryl Davis
    "What makes something right or wrong?" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." # | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs." RG

Member thankful for this post:

Formerly Wigferth Ironwall Senior Member Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Another thing that struck me was the scale and speed of the Police response - within just a few minutes seven officers and a dog piled into Amory and nabbed the guy.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

What an American shooting scare might look like:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D9RrmD7WwAYqG0a.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	22680
    Vitiate Man.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Ni dieu ni maître! Senior Member a completely inoffensive name's Avatar
    I live on the org, feeding off of what few thanks are tossed at my posts. It is up to you to make sure I don't starve.
    Blog Entries

Thoughts and prayers.

You forgot the secular equivalent, "Sending Positive Vibes your way"
    In all these papers we see a love of honest work, an aversion to shams, a caution in the enunciation of conclusions, a distrust of rash generalizations and speculations based on uncertain premises. He was never anxious to add one more guess on doubtful matters in the hope of hitting the truth, or what might pass as such for a time, but was always ready to take infinite pains in the most careful testing of every theory. With these qualities was united a modesty which forbade the pushing of his own claims and desired no reputation except the unsought tribute of competent judges.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, Cub Shoot 2 Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Treasure Diver Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Slack Man Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Super Mario Mushroom Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Fish Kill Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, KF 9000 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    60% of gun deaths in the USA are suicide or accidental. Ready access to firearms gives would-be suicides a more easily lethal tool to use.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken