Thread: So Today there was a shooting scare at my university

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Default So Today there was a shooting scare at my university

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-48688919

Perhaps a student wanted to re-take an exam?

No idea, I wasn't on campus when it happened, apparently the Fuzz arrived and arrested him promptly - and it wasn't a "viable firearm".

Imagine how this might have gone if we had ready and easy access to legal handguns in the UK.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: So Today there was a shooting scare at my university

Yes, mental illness is a scourge on our society.

Thoughts and prayers.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    A 2004 analysis of more than 60 mass murders in North America, for example, found that just 6% were psychotic at the time of the killings. And when it comes to mass shootings, those with mental illness account for “less than 1% of all yearly gun-related homicides”
    BBC Article
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Erm... my lines were the traditional crap that gun nuts say after a massacre.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Erm... my lines were the traditional crap that gun nuts say after a massacre.
    Unfortunately that particular line gets lost on a lot of people. Even the not-gunnuts say it.

Thoughts and prayers.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Member thankful for this post:

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Another thing that struck me was the scale and speed of the Police response - within just a few minutes seven officers and a dog piled into Amory and nabbed the guy.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    60% of gun deaths in the USA are suicide or accidental. Ready access to firearms gives would-be suicides a more easily lethal tool to use.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Sorry if hijacking, but this is the most recent relevant thread:

In case our non-American readers missed it, we saw two major mass shootings within hours yesterday. The first in El Paso, Texas, by a white supremacist, ~20 dead. Then hours later in Dayton, Ohio, by a leftist with unknown motive and ~10 dead, including shooter's sister, because he was killed by police within a minute. (Please let it sink I that the shooter killed or wounded three dozen people within a minute - 30 seconds according to some reported police statements.)

This after another less severe shooting earlier in the week in California. The police had also engaged the shooter here within a minute here, for 17 casualties. The motive is technically unknown, as with the Dayton shooter, but the festival he shot up appears to have majority non-white attendants and he sure liked his far-right literature. The El Paso shooter meanwhile survived and has a manifesto; he is adamant that he was trying to stop the Mexican "invasion."

El Paso makes at least three 8chan-linked massacres this year. Yeah, terror is a meme.

Going by this database, just since 2013 there have been at least 85 shootings with 5 or more fatalities, 30 more with fewer than 5 fatalities but at least 10 injuries. Switching to Wiki, from 2010 to 2012 there were 13 such shootings. Between 2000 and 2010, 26 such shootings. In the 1990s, 14 such shootings. In the 1980s there were 13 such, although the two listed with highest fatality count are not actually mass shootings. Before the 1980s (to 20s) there were 19, with many of the ones listed on wiki being gun battles or massacres by soldiers or police rather than the iconic type of massacre by singles or pairs. Terrorism in this country was more diffuse and systematic than a mass shooting comports with. Whatever the effect of Trumpism is, mass shootings are demonstrably accelerating; the numbers are unprecedented, but also the motivations. We are entering a state of affairs not dissimilar to that of internally-conflicted countries experiencing regular sectarian or militant attacks on civilians, like Nigeria or Pakistan...

In response, Trump supporters I know are exulting that whites have had enough of the dark races and will soon rise up, telling wild stories of lazy Latinos and sinister ragheads, of uppity blacks being rude to them and thus deserving summary execution, ultimately devolving into tangents like every single allegation ever of sexual harassment or assault being a lie motivated by personal gain.

I wish I could say I feel fury, but I don't really, never do. Only intellectualized confidence in my mental model of the world. The social order is warping in real-time. Who doesn't believe we're on the eve of destruction?
    Last edited by Montmorency; 08-05-2019 at 05:22.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    The social order is warping in real-time. Who doesn't believe we're on the eve of destruction?
    I've been thinking the same thing myself, the recent uptick in mass shootings is a sign that something is deeply wrong with our society. When you combine the modern rise of nihilistic fascist terror with the impending environmental catastrophes the ruling class refuses to do anything about the future looks very dark indeed.

Thoughts and prayers.

You forgot the secular equivalent, "Sending Positive Vibes your way"

Members thankful for this post (2):