Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hong Kong: Britain's 22-year shame

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hong Kong: Britain's 22-year shame

Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    I will never understand the concept of Police carrying guns.
    An old but interesting article about the Free Syrian Police being unarmed.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-39458062
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Fear? Anger in the moment? Standing in the middle of a riot as the visible agent of the "oppressor" cannot be a low-stress undertaking.

Possible it was done methodically as a calculated scare tactic, but I think that unlikely. A single pistoling cannot have the quelling effect of Napoleon's "whiff of grapeshot."
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    I will never understand the concept of Police carrying guns.
    Depends where you live. In the USA, without one, they'd be bringing a club to a gunfight.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Fear? Anger in the moment? Standing in the middle of a riot as the visible agent of the "oppressor" cannot be a low-stress undertaking.

Possible it was done methodically as a calculated scare tactic, but I think that unlikely. A single pistoling cannot have the quelling effect of Napoleon's "whiff of grapeshot."
    According to the article, in that particular case, an officer was being beaten by a mob, with the gunman going in gun drawn, possibly to break it up and let the other officer go. One of said mob aimed a bar at the gunman (this bit I've seen), and the gunman shot him. There may well have been police brutality elsewhere, but in this particular case, I wouldn't describe it as that. Idiocy, bordering on attempted suicide by cop, possibly not expecting a police officer to actually open fire if there was any thought at all. A firebomb was thrown shortly afterwards, and the shot protester was wearing a mask, so given the HK populace isn't generally armed, I'd say the protesters were as prepared as they could be for a violent demonstration (peaceful demonstrators don't tend to carry or prepare firebombs).

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post

If you watch the video, it's plausible that it could be just that. Of course police in other countries are more deliberate with gun fire than the American Rambo wannabes, so the single targeted discharge is not dispositive, but without studying the Hong Kong situation or the usual operations of the Hong Kong police more carefully I could easily believe that police leadership either wanted someone, anyone, made an example of, or else authorized the brandishing of firearms to the point that it was inevitable someone would be shot. (Shooter wasn't the only cop with sidearm out that day).
    Last edited by Montmorency; 10-07-2019 at 03:37.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    If you watch the video, it's plausible that it could be just that. Of course police in other countries are more deliberate with gun fire than the American Rambo wannabes, so the single targeted discharge is not dispositive, but without studying the Hong Kong situation or the usual operations of the Hong Kong police more carefully I could easily believe that police leadership either wanted someone, anyone, made an example of, or else authorized the brandishing of firearms to the point that it was inevitable someone would be shot. (Shooter wasn't the only cop with sidearm out that day).
    All police in HK are armed. They even carry them home. Even if the gun wasn't drawn, anyone swinging a bar at a police officer is an idiot.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I miss Frags. He would be say something (paraphrased) like: "NBA, Apple, Blizzard and others kowtowing to the Chinese Pooh Bear."
    Last edited by Beskar; 10-13-2019 at 15:18.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Member thankful for this post:

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

He would - then I think he'd say something totally OTT about the Chinese "street warriors".

It's worth noting that the backlash caused Blizzard to partially if not mostly back-track.

This raises an important point - as limp as the West's Governments are being people are still aghast - we aren't "getting used" to seeing Hong-Kongers brutalised.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-50428704

A 70-year old cleaner on his lunch break died after being his with a missile in the crossfire.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Update on new rules for Hongkongers seeking to live/work in UK: Home Office appears to confirm that if China presses on with security law, *all* 2.9m 'British nationals (overseas)' in Hong Kong will be allowed to come to UK whether or not they *currently* hold a BN(O) passport.
    Now THAT would be a pretty good start. But what about the people born since handover?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

if they are dependents of BNO passport holders, sure.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234